10+ Year Old Account

You don't need as much power as you think! [Recommendation]

Hey guys I thought I'd make a recommendation thread for anyone going for a new desktop.

Here are the specs for the computer I bought:

Old-model (December 2011 built) Alienware x51
    Intel i5-2320 CPU 3.0 GHz
    4GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1GB GT545 Graphics Card(OEM)

My experience so far? 1080p Gaming: 40+ FPS constantly on WoW Ultra Graphics with Shadows/Sunshafts disabled/low. 40+ FPS constantly on SC2 max settings. 40+ FPS on Diablo 3 max settings. It seems to be holding up pretty well! Running BF3 on Medium Settings (some options on High) at strong 50FPS. Running Skyrim fine at 45+ FPS on ultra high settings. Enjoying Dishonored on high settings, same with LoL.

All this for a now outdated pre-built Alienware x51

Pro's of Alienware x51:
    Sick case and look
    Very small and discrete
    Very light (12lbs)
    Does not take up much space at all. Can run a GTX670 (if you upgrade it) using a 330w external PSU as the computer doesn't take up much juice
    Core components can be upgraded for the most part
    Case can be salvaged
    Relatively cheap

Now all this is for the OLD model. The new Alienware x51's are pretty sick

I know Alienware has sparked a lot of controversy on the quality of their products but this Alienware x51 is actually really good and you can find good reviews across the internet.

Now why am I recommending this? Well, it is actually a good and inexpensive pre-built computer. Sure you can get the same specs for 100$ or so cheaper but you are also paying for the small-form factor, sick case. I sincerely recommend this for anyone for their basic gaming needs who doesn't want to go through any possibility of any problems you can get for building your own computer.
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs is the site

Possible extremes of the builds:
    Start point:
    2nd gen i3-2120
    6GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1GB GT640
    Price $699

Max default build:
    3rd gen i7-3770
    8GB RAM at 1600MHZ
    1TB HDD
    1.5GB GTX 660
    Price: $1199

My recommendation:
    Mid-high range default build:
    3rd gen i5-3330
    8GB RAM at 1600MHZ
    1TB HDD
    1.5GB GTX660
    Price: $999

I think $999 is a steal for a really sick looking computer coming with the 'benefits' of being pre-built but somewhat upgradable and being quite light at 12lbs and really not requiring much power

http://image.alienware.com/images/ga...ops_x51_10.jpg

I cannot stress how awesome it looks and how quiet it is. It is like a ninja in my room. Really decent product for a sub $1000 computer. I'm sure if my way older and weaker computer can run games at high performance, this one will be able to steam through them at much better performance seeing how the GTX660 is like 2-3 times stronger than my GT545 which still manages to run games pretty well.

Not trying to spark hate, mostly trying to provide information and ideas to people who could want a decent nice-looking pre-built computer that is small form factor. I really like mine

I see a lot of people with build proposals for arguably excessive specs which really IS NOT NEEDED for today's games. I mean if my GT545 can do fine, a simple GTX660 can do wonders.

Please read the Computer Forum rules; pictures with a width over 800px should be thumbnailed. Thanks. ~Marest
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-10-26 at 10:03 AM.

My problem still with alienware is that even if you go for a bit older/less powerful model it still is overpriced.
    And if you would buy your computer as parts, nothing is stopping you from buying a small and silent case.
    Also it seems that you cant overclock those at all as the processors are not unlocked.
    You will have to settle for medium settings pretty soon, while more powerful (still cheaper) and overclockable computers can go on for years to come.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    The specs on the new x51's are very recent. I don't understand how if someone's 3rd gen i5 and GTX660 came pre-built in an alienware x51 or if they bought it seperately and put it together themselves would make it last for years more just because it is overclockable seeing how it is still the same parts? Doesn't overclocking have negative effects, too like hurting other parts faster and increasing power usage? the point of this computer is for it to be quiet, discrete, and not take up much power

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smaller cases will always be a problem for OEM. It's the same issue with laptops: you really can't do your own for a decent budget, so they don't offer the components. I'd love it if someone like Antec or Coolermaster made some cases that are about the same form size of a VCR. I'll have a new HTPC as soon as they do. Back on topic, if the smaller form case is the big attraction for you, then yes, go with the little Alienware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    Smaller cases will always be a problem for OEM. It's the same issue with laptops: you really can't do your own for a decent budget, so they don't offer the components. I'd love it if someone like Antec or Coolermaster made some cases that are about the same form size of a VCR. I'll have a new HTPC as soon as they do. Back on topic, if the smaller form case is the big attraction for you, then yes, go with the little Alienware.
    You can upgrade the parts. e.g. Upgrading to the EVGA GTX670 FTW edition. Same with the RAM and HDD. You can also put an SDD instead of an HDD yourself.

Quoting myself from another thread regarding upgradibility to the GTX 670 on the x51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130787

^ This will work fine on a 330w external PSU here: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch

Should've noted that my PC is an Alienware x51

It doesn't take up much juice and there are many people using the aforementioned graphics card with no problems on the computer. Can provide multiple youtube vids and reviews if anyone doesn't believe but thanks for the help guys, I'll be going with this GTX 670 when I feel I need an upgrade

The epic thing is that it has the blower fan from the GTX680 :3
    Yes mate, they say 500w so that it can run on any computer, even those big ones that have all those fancy things that take up a lot of juice, so they can't get in any trouble. I am speaking in the specific case of my alienware x51 which really does not take up much power at all. My computer right now with the GT545 takes up less than 180watts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhhODhzf9Kw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOq55...eature=related

"yes, i still have the 330 watt stock standard psu,"
    "Well, yes... actually the galaxy gtx 670 can be supported by the alienware x51. Let me explain you why. This videocard, use 175 watts when you play 3 games at the same time or something like that, obviously it needs a lot of power for that.
    In my case i have proofs that I edit videos in adobe premiere pro or sony vegas pro and i render my full hd videos when i playing sleeping dogs or hitman absolution sniper challenge and I dont have any kind of problem. Buy the galaxy or the evga, dont worry."

You can upgrade the parts. e.g. Upgrading to the EVGA GTX670 FTW edition.
    How? A full-sized GPU like the 670 FTW will not fit in that case unless you mod the card... Unless I'm misunderstanding the case dimensions.

As for the "not needing as much power as you think", I don't think a single one of our computer forum regulars would recommend something excessive to someone. In fact, it is quite the opposite, we're often saving people money by convincing them not to splurge on an unnecessary i7 or SB-E CPU or overkill GPU.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-25 at 08:07 PM.

The specs on the new x51's are very recent. I don't understand how if someone's 3rd gen i5 and GTX660 came pre-built in an alienware x51 or if they bought it seperately and put it together themselves would make it last for years more just because it is overclockable seeing how it is still the same parts? Doesn't overclocking have negative effects, too like hurting other parts faster and increasing power usage? the point of this computer is for it to be quiet, discrete, and not take up much power
    That is like saying an i7 3770k is the same as an i3 2120 because they are the "same parts" aka Ivy Bridge core.

10+ Year Old Account
    It certainly does fit. The only thing you have to do yourself is to get the 6pin-8pin adapter for it to attach. Check out some vids

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 12:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    That is like saying an i7 3770k is the same as an i3 2120 because they are the "same parts" aka Ivy Bridge core.
    I was referring to a scenario where you buy the same parts exactly...the parts in the Alienware x51 e.g. GTX660 and i5-3330 is pretty standard for most new gaming computers today, isn't it?

e.g. GTX660 and i5-3330 is pretty standard for most new gaming computers today, isn't it?
    Not that I've seen, most people recommend the i5 3570K and GTX 670.

Also, I meant to say earlier: overclocking a modern CPU doesn't really notably decrease its lifetime. It may take a year or two off, but we're talking a year or two off of a 20 year lifetime, the CPU would be so outdated you'd have retired it anyway.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-25 at 08:11 PM.

i5-3330 cannot be overclocked so that argument is moot.

In x51's the processor's multipliers are locked, so you cant really overclock them, also the motherboards in x51 wouldn't support it either. Overclocking may reduce parts life (really slightly) but it wont matter unless you plan to use the same computer for decade.
    If you are not going for extreme overclocking you can get a nice performance increase without requiring much more power.

If you list the parts in the x51's and check how much those would cost if you bought them on newegg for example, you'll see that alienware computers are overpriced.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are really derailing this thread apart...

I'm just informing people of alternatives and options. I'm 100% sure that GTX660 and i5-3330 is more than enough for basic gaming e.g. WoW, SC2, D3, BF3, Skyrim seeing how my 2nd gen i5 and GT545 handles those well already.
    and @Noteworthy, watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOq55PYtj5c

Deleted
    I have the new x51. bought it few weeks ago for the living room. One of my friends asked if it was a new console, then he puked rainbows when i was playing skyrim in ultra, on my tv AFTER saying it was just a mere pc.

Even if it is 'overpriced', the design deserves it. The Razer Blade gaming notebook (updated one) is not bad either

I was referring to a scenario where you buy the same parts exactly...the parts in the Alienware x51 e.g. GTX660 and i5-3330 is pretty standard for most new gaming computers today, isn't it?
    Not really, I haven't seen an i5 3330 recommended here yet. GTX 660, yes. But the standard CPU is a 3570K that you can overclock with very little effort to 4.2-4.5 GHz.

This is what I would build for ~1000 dollars:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.24 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.98 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($247.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.97 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1017.69
    Total (without rebates): $1067.69
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

FYI: That system would demolish your x51.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm just informing people of alternatives and options. I'm 100% sure that GTX660 and i5-3330 is more than enough for basic gaming e.g. WoW, SC2, D3, BF3, Skyrim seeing how my 2nd gen i5 and GT545 handles those well already.
    The problem is that you're trying to convince poeple that they should get a prebuilt computer with good enough performance and a good looking case while they could get a system that performed noticably better for the same price, and also get the benefits of easy upgrades and the ability to overclock if they bought the components seperatly and built it themselves. Or they could get the same components and save some money by building it themselves.

But I agree that the case is good looking, and smaller formfacter might be nice for some. I also agree that the performance you get will be good enough for some, but there are disadvantages too like the ones that have been mentioned already in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Hitz From Dah Boing

No one is derailing this thread. You recommended an "alternative" and people are critiquing it, it is how recommendations work.

And sure, the GTX660 and 3330 is "enough" for those games if you're wanting to play them at 40-50 FPS on high settings at 1080p. However, a lot of people who are spending $1000+ on their PC want to play them at that FPS on ultra settings and your recommendation will not be able to do that (especially in "intense" areas like a 25 man raid or a 64 player firefight in BF3).

As for the video: I've already conceded that I made a mistake on the case dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Not that I've seen, most people recommend the i5 3570K and GTX 670.

Also, I meant to say earlier: overclocking a modern CPU doesn't really notably decrease its lifetime. It may take a year or two off, but we're talking a year or two off of a 20 year lifetime, the CPU would be so outdated you'd have retired it anyway.
    This is here say your chip may or may not lose any life with moderate overclocking and voltage tweaks, when you pass into the heavy OC/Vcore then you are indefinitely going to lose some time but will the cpu be able to make it there anyways? The OC I ran on a C2 was pretty intense for the time, but nothing was what I call playable at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this is just for the sake of anyone who might be interested

I know that in my case, it would've been a lot more expensive to build my own computer due to shipping and my country and I also wanted a small-form factor as well as just not having the time or patience to build my own computer.