Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Challenge Modes: Not Very Popular

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7628989

going through the coments, it seems most people don't really like it.

casuals want the gear, but they know they'll never get it. hardcores think it's a waste of time that will not help them on the progression race since the gear has no stats. both sides seem to think it's too much work, though they do for different reasons.

According to Lead Encounter Designer Ion Hazzikostas:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    A lot of the people that I've talked to that have been most excited about Challenge Modes are actually retired hardcore raiders. People who were hardcore raiders in Burning Crusade and Lich King, but they've moved on in life, and don't have as much free time. They don't have the ability to commit to a hardcore raiding schedule, but this is something that they can do kind of in their own time, but still requires an extremely high level of play and skilled coordination.
    I think Blizzard overestimated the amount of retired hardcore players around lol

don't get me wrong, I love this game. But I didn't really like challenge modes. I am on the casual side: I really really really wanted to get that illidan set, but I'm just not good enough, and it makes me unhappy and frustrated.

inb4 "it's optional": no shit, something is optional in a videogame
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

challenge modes available for queue will fix that right up...

Never ran a challenge mode, but it's not high on my priority list. Would like to do someday, but problem is finding 4 other guys of the perfect comp that also wants ultimately useless gear.

It's not really challenging honestly. It just requires lots of CD spreading and big bursty AoE and a tank that can hold threat on 10+ mobs that hit for 50k each and not die in 2 seconds. Silver is easily obtainable in every CM dungeon. Once you figure out the new tricks all the mobs have and have a group that understands how to play well together and what mobs to skip, invis pots and other things you can get gold.

I have yet to get a gold but I love the Challenge modes for how hard they are. They are almost unfairly tough but that doesn't mean I hate them.

I don't really have an interest in them either. The whole concept just doesn't really do anything for me. I never liked speed runs. I'm also not really interested in 5 mans that are brutally difficult or anything; I just don't dedicate my time and energy to video games that much any more. I do miss a "proper" heroic mode. I thought the initial Cata 5 mans were rather OK. Not too tedious, not too banal.

But I don't actually really know what I'm talking about, I never a did a challenge mode. Perhaps I would even like it, but the fact that I'd have to manually assemble a group for them or have dedicated people at hand at all times kills it for me. Isn't worth the time and effort.

I'm still looking forward to the challenge modes. Honestly, because of the content, I don't see them getting popular for another couple of months. I think they're an excellent idea, but the hardcore are still working on heroics, and the casual and middle ground people are still levelling/gearing up or taking their first steps into raids. I don't think they should mess with Challenge modes just yet. Since it isn't a part of advancing to LFR/raiding, it is going to be quiet for a bit.

This is on the list of things I was excited about but still haven't done, because I burned myself out on dailies. I think we'll see usage ramp up once people recover from general beginning of expansion overload.

it's very gimmicky right now. it's like "how to exploit the mechanics - don't bring a monk tank"

10+ Year Old Account
    i will never get gold and hate rushing so i think I'll stick with normal/heroics :S

I would LOVE to be doing challenge modes but unfortunately have to spend all of my time doing terrible, boring dailies for the entirety of my non-raiding play time. I know a lot of people who are in the same situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like them. Gives us something to do between raids. At first they seem quite tight and brutal but as you learn how to do it more efficiently you, use chain stuns and interrupts it becomes more realistic. Anyway good fun for us

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm waiting to try these until some of the daily grind is over. Everyone else seems preoccupied too. I'm looking forward to coordinating runs with some guildies over vent, hopefully no one gets frustrated and it turns out to be fun.
    When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.

Well by scaling the gear based on whatever you currently have, instead of completely removing all of the stats so its purely skill based, they made it so you need the best gear to do it. Well those are hidden behind factions, and rep grinds. And by the time you do all of that work, the last thing you really want to do is work really hard for something that is predominantly look based.

Most top raiders priority is not looks, it's numbers. Look is an after thought.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had 4 other people to do challenge modes with...

I really want something extremely hard. I love heroic raiding, and I LIKED heroic dungeons back in the day when they were hard (BC and start of Cata), but I can't stand how the did the Challenge Modes, purely because of it being timed. That kills it for me in every possible way. I hate and loathe and despise games that make things hard with timers. Don't get me wrong, I know that the difficulty has been upped, but the big cock block is the clock and imho that is such a cop-out method to make something difficult. I'd much rather have had them just be ridiculously ass hard to the point where every pull was a dps check before tank CD's were done, healer was oom, do not stand in anything or it simply 1 shots you, non-retarded tank threat so dps had to watch aggro while pushing hard, etc etc. Just being forced to go fast is extremely tasteless to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

Quote Originally Posted by dropthe View Post
    I would LOVE to be doing challenge modes but unfortunately have to spend all of my time doing terrible, boring dailies for the entirety of my non-raiding play time. I know a lot of people who are in the same situation.
    u should be doing the dailies in a group....takes 1/3 of the time

I would love to do those but sadly I can't find skilled players for it or even my guildies are barely even reaching ilvl 463... I guess it takes time for most to get into pandaria still and it will become more popular in the future when people surely got ilvl 463 and maybe near end of expansion when there isn't much to do and you want some challenges to do, challenge mode will never be outdated anyways as the scale down will always happen, never becomes irrelevant so I guess no rush yet, only been a month.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Challenge modes are not something that I am interested in so will likely never do them. Other people in my guild have expressed an interest but they are still preoccupied with other things.

Deleted
    I'm incredibly interested in challenge modes, but I've not had the time.

I'm grinding just about everything else atm, and enjoying it. I don't see how challenge modes catering to a relatively small audience is a bad thing, not everything added to the game is for everyone.

I would do them on a daily basis if more people didn't suck. Frankly they're too hard for the common casual to even clear, and finding 4 good people outside of a server top guild is difficult.

Deleted
    On my realm there are still some dungeons that are not golded.