Deleted

Finally starting Rift

Hi guys, I originally bought (chocolate?? :P) rift and never got a chance to play it due to my pc failing. I just got some game time and pre ordered the expansion. I've never levelled a character on live (only tried the beta) any advice or tips you can give me in regards to getting set up before the expansion launches? Any nice guilds for me to join (eu)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome back, I can't speak much about the EU shards I'm sure people will pop in for some direction. Browse through some existing threads and here's a good one to get you started.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...what-s-changed

I'm NA, so can't help you with a guild, but your single best bet is to rely on the official forums. Unlike other MMOs, the most pertinent information is actually found right there in Trion's own forums.

We just had patch 1.11 hit, which is the equivalent of a WoW 5.0 patch, bridging the gap between expansions and providing all the updates to the skill trees. Because of the newness of 1.11, there's a lot in flux right now, and a lot of players are still determining optimal builds and what works best for what.

With that in mind, check out the class forums for some potential builds to help you along.

Rogues, Clerics and Warriors have melee builds.
    Mages, Clerics and Rogues have ranged builds.
    Warriors, Rogues and Clerics have tanking builds.
    Mages and Clerics have fully capable healing builds.

When Storm Legion hits, there will be a few additions to this list, but you're asking questions now, not in a month, so we won't worry about that just yet.

From what you may remember from beta, there are lots of options for you depending on your particular playstyle. Pick the right class and you can Heal, Tank, Range & Melee DPS, should you choose to. With 5 alternate specs (6 specs total) you have a lot of variety sitting at your fingertips.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

Deleted
    Thanks, guys . One question: If I rushed through to 50 in the next few days would there be much i'd have missed along the way (since I'd have rushed) and would need to learn at 50? Or does it mostly play similar to other mmos out there?

If you rush to 50, you'll miss some of the easier opportunities to explore your class and its multitude of specs. Jumping in at level 50 trying to play a new spec can be annoying, but not so much so if you fool around with it at level 15. Aside from that, you're only diminishing your exposure to lore and the topographical designs of some of the zones... neither of which is off-limits post 50. Aside from going back and powering through anything you missed later on, you can always mentor yourself down to a specific level and experience quests at their intended level.

If you're the kind of player who enjoys immersion, Instant Adventures are not for you, take the traditional leveling route. If you're trying to power through and get as close to caught up as possible, find a build that works for you and run dungeons and Instant Adventures to hit 50 in the least amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalsasleaders View Post
    Hi guys, I originally bought (chocolate?? :P) rift and never got a chance to play it due to my pc failing. I just got some game time and pre ordered the expansion. I've never levelled a character on live (only tried the beta) any advice or tips you can give me in regards to getting set up before the expansion launches? Any nice guilds for me to join (eu)?
    Many social guilds are around on EU shards, we have 2 very active English Shards - Icewatch and Blightweald (there are also very well populated french and german shards in case it is your preference)

Blightweald has some of the high end guilds (Para Bellum and Special Olympics) and has 3 social guilds which have huge member numbers -Tyrants at 250, E.O.S at 500 + and Sanctuary at three hundred +. there are several other guilds with smaller member counts but they are too many to list.

I'm not sure about Icewatch; I'll let one of the other posters on that shard break it down for you.

There is also a guild finder tool in game that will help you identify which guilds raid or do in game activities at times that suit you, along with what roles they are seeking. it will also show you how many members are in a guild in case you prefer small, medium or large ones.

good luck and have fun!
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

is it f2p now? didnt read about rift for a year now and would like to play it aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    is it f2p now? didnt read about rift for a year now and would like to play it aswell
    No, Rift is still subscription based and we are currently in the 11th (and final patch of chocolate Rift) and in process of preparing for Storm Legion Expansion.

{I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    No, Rift is still subscription based and we are currently in the 11th (and final patch of chocolate Rift) and in process of preparing for Storm Legion Expansion.
    You can, however, play for free till level 20. Some features will be restricted on the RIFT Lite version, but you can make as many level 20s as you wish. If you need an extra push to get start, check out the "Ascend-a-Friend" thread that is stickied, to find the right sponsor for me. (PS, pick me :P)

Trion has strongly indicated that they see the pay-to-play model to be fundamental to all the decisions they're making - from their really strong community outreach, to their continuous (new content every 2 months) updates, and public recognition that they're providing a service rather than a static product. As a developer, you just don't get the feature flexibility that Trion has been really excited about in the 2.0 update with F2P as you do with subscription.

15+ Year Old Account
    1 tip i can give ya is learn all the aspects of your class, because you never know when you may need to switch to a different spec. dont just focus on being a DPS mage for example, because most guilds will look to see if you are capable of performing different tasks while raiding like the raid may need you go chloro for another example.

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    1 tip i can give ya is learn all the aspects of your class, because you never know when you may need to switch to a different spec. dont just focus on being a DPS mage for example, because most guilds will look to see if you are capable of performing different tasks while raiding like the raid may need you go chloro for another example.
    As much as I like how Rift handles classes and specs, this is the one part that I never liked, because it takes freedom away from the player. Some people might not like tanking or healing and would not feel comfortable if they were "demanded" to switch to Healing by their guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    As much as I like how Rift handles classes and specs, this is the one part that I never liked, because it takes freedom away from the player. Some people might not like tanking or healing and would not feel comfortable if they were "demanded" to switch to Healing by their guild.
    From my experience that really only becomes a requirement in hardcore raiding guilds. Most average guilds ask you what you enjoy the most and go with that it's not a job but a game. Case in point when I raided hardcore I said my preference was raid or tank healing....guess what in 6 months of solid HC raiding never once did I DPS or was I asked too (even if wanted to at that point) because they knew I was good at what I did and could count on me doing it.

It's nice though outside of raid environment if you just do world events, 5 mans or w/e that you actually have the flexibility of doing up to 6 various specs if you feel like it. Giving player the choices is key, taking them away tends to always limit a game.

As my main is a Cleric, I've played every role available to me at one point or another. I chose a Cleric based off an AoE dps farm build I saw on Youtube. When I started hearing how Clerics were expected to heal most the time (hyperbole), I got a bit antsy, but in time, i decided to try it out and grew to love it.

That's not to say anyone should be forced into a spec or role, but IMHO, it's an absolute waste to have so much potential at your fingertips and not at least try it.

Now though, it seems, dps for cleric is soooo much more viable than before <3 I am STILL gushing over my druid spec being able to actually do somthing

Deleted
    I've put in a good few hours in the last two days and I've gotten to level 33 on my chloromancer mage. I find it very fun and interesting to heal with (did a few dungeon runs with people barely dipping below 70k and still able to pump out a bit of dps) . When I assign talent points it always points me where to go, is there any way to disable that and make my own builds?

As soon as you veer away from the set path, it stops suggesting. Also, if you set up a new role and you don't select a preset, you won't get suggestions.