Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just find something you enjoy doing, if you don't feel motivated by the classes you are currently taking than they aren't for you.

I'm pretty much the same way as you when it comes to classes like english and history because I fall asleep during the lectors and stuff like that. But then maths and sciences I have no problem studying and doing my homework because I enjoy learning it. You have to find something your good at, and something that you feel you would like to learn whether you are getting graded on it or not.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    There's your problem; you've got this idea that you'd be successful if only you were a little more motivated . . . you've got to know that sounds like a bunch of crap to everyone. Taking the minimum amount of classes, not showing up for classes and not doing the work makes it sounds like you simply lack the maturity or mental discipline to handle College.

My advice? Drop out of EKU and go to a community college. If you haven't found something that really interests you yet, it's so much better to figure that out at a CC rather than pay the university premium. Take a semester with 4 classes, each an introduction to some particular area (ex: intro to CS, intro to business admin, intro to engineering, intro to psychology) and give a legitimate effort in each class, trying to find something you like about each. You should come out of that with some idea what to do, and the best part is you'll end up paying a significantly less amount of money doing it. If you find something you really want to pursue, do that and spend 1.5-2 years getting the lower-division stuff taken care of and then transfer to a school with way more resources than EKU, like UK or Louisville.

If you're aimlessly taking a few courses at a university and not even going to all the classes, you shouldn't be spending so much money doing it.
    Maturity, 95% of EKU students party on the weekends. Not this kid right here, so theres the maturity for you. But really its not a lack of maturity or mental discipline. Right now, college is quite literally a repeat of high school just in a different setting. Same classes, same shit I learned over 2 years ago. For me, its more like, 'why show up when I already know the material?' Imagine your parents calling you up to have 'the talk' with you but you know everything and anything there is to know about sex, probably even more than they do... of course you aren't going to go.

At the time I wrote this thread however, I was playing WoW and I had different aspirations than I do now. Back then I wanted to become a big name youtuber, and all the effort that went into that was effort that wasn't going into school. WoW also had my time consumed up and I forgot to do homework, etc. Since then however, my aspirations have changed. Right now school is basically my life right now, that and trying to lose weight. I quit WoW, gave up the dream of being paid to make youtube videos, and yeah.

Nevertheless, I still have trouble being motivated to retake high school classes this semester rather than doing something meaningful... however, next semester I will finish my general education requirements and move on to major-specific classes. Its gonna be fun to read some of these

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 11:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Netherfall View Post
    You're giving yourself safety nets by saying you're not trying when you don't do well. It's a pretty awful way to look at something, especially if you are paying for it. Sure, I could totally pass all of my classes with 4.0s if I tried... pretty much everyone I know that says that doesn't do well in school, at all. It doesn't work that way, even if you are super smart unless your classes are piss easy.

In any case, take something you have an interest for, and do it at a different institution unless you like to spend crap tons of money taking prereqs if you don't have a major in mind. When you have something to look forward to, that is all the motivation you need to get the grades you need. It works for me and many others I know that have something in mind. People who don't either do not know what they want to do legitimately, or they are just lazy and don't even bother to try looking. If your career or passion doesn't involve a lot of academics, then don't go to school. It's a huge waste of time & money unless you want to meet people.
    Graduated high school with a 3.2, because in high school I was conditioned to do good, because there was no option but to go through it, so might as well make the best of it, and I took it easy in high school. Trust me, learning is not the problem. When it comes to school work its just trying. If your trying in school theres no way you can fail, unless you have an extreme learning disability. So please don't try to make assumptions.

But your second paragraph is true man for sure.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 11:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Not bothering with Off Topic sections in random forums is your best bet in getting decent advice.
    For sure man!

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 11:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Perhaps it's not really Motivation you are missing, but Discipline. A lot of times it seems that younger people have the idea that they can do anything, if only they have the right motivation. But in reality, they are missing the mental "muscles" and the habits that allow them to steadily move forward on a project.

Here's a suggestion to build discipline. It sounds trivial, but it's worked for other people (including Jerry Seinfield!):

Go to a store and buy two wall calendars and some markers. Label one Classes, and the other Homework. Then everyday, go to class, and when you get back, use a marker to put a big X on that day. For homework, pick a time, and say that everyday you will do one hour of homework. Then mark an X on the day after you finish your homework for that day. Work for the full hour, if you don't have anything specific to do (all projects and essays are finished), read ahead.

What this does is set up visual reinforcement of the two habits that you want to acquire. You will end up with a chain of Xs on the calendar, and you will want to keep that chain going. Rather than rely on some nebulous motivation far in the future, your thoughts are focused on today and the next day, to get the next X.

Once you get into the habit of going to class and doing your homework, it becomes a lot easier to keep going, and problems of motivation will eventually resolve themselves. Plus, this idea is really easy to try and implement. You could start it today, rather than procrastinate.
    Wish there was a way I could save or favorite this post, I want to try this!
    Call me House.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stop smoking weed and drinking alcohol!
    if you already don't do this sort of stuff:
    Start drinking weed and smoking alcohol!
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Deleted
    Honestly?

Barely.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Trust me, learning is not the problem. When it comes to school work its just trying. If your trying in school theres no way you can fail, unless you have an extreme learning disability.
    If you're at a good school with good professors, it doesn't work that way. Doing all the required work, showing up for class and understanding the material earns you a C if the professor is good, and if you're not finding that most students fall in around the 75% range you may want a different professor. A's and high B's should be reserved for students who consistently turn in outstanding work, and that should be a very small number of students.

If you don't think you're challenged enough, then it's likely that EKU isn't the school for you. UK and Lousville are the research universities in Kentucky, and I'm sure there's at least one tier-one private school in the state. You can always apply for transfer if you meet the unit/GPA requirements.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-11-23 at 04:57 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I assume you picked your study because you liked it? I know I do, so I don't have trouble keeping myself motivated. Sure, I have an off-day sometimes, at which I don't get of my lazy bum and stay home, but that's just temporarily.

Just think about it: You'll graduate and can get a decent job which gives you enough money in the pocket. It's better than working at McDonalds as a middle-aged guy for minimum wage, thinking you should have finished your education.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

How? I wonder.

I made a two years contract for my mobile phone... I guess that kept me motivated to stay in the Netherlands and at least finish two years.
    Now in 3rd year? I guess I don't want to look in the mirror and tell myself I couldn't finish the last two years of my studies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a 87% average when I graduated high school,And I took real classes like chem 30 precalc 30 calc 1. I had only 75% attendance, the minimum amount I could have and legally still graduate. My favorite excuse when the principal came and talked to me about my shit attendance was that I was efficient and got the same amount of work done in 75% of the time as everyone else.

I had a horrible time staying motivated, I much preferred staying home and self teaching myself something practical like python instead of sitting in a class room listening to garbage like religious studies (it was catholic high school) or 200 year old poetry interpretation.

Only thing that really got me to go there was the fact that I needed the certificate.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Graduated high school with a 3.2, because in high school I was conditioned to do good, because there was no option but to go through it, so might as well make the best of it, and I took it easy in high school. Trust me, learning is not the problem. When it comes to school work its just trying. If your trying in school theres no way you can fail, unless you have an extreme learning disability. So please don't try to make assumptions.

But your second paragraph is true man for sure.[COLOR="red"]
    College learning is nothing like high school. Not even close. You don't do well in college level classes by simply trying. You have to know the material in and out like the back of your hand if you want good grades. You can't passively learn shit in college like you could in high school. There's just no way to compare them. You can sit on your ass and barely doing anything in high school and get above a 3.0 and maybe do half the homework. Do that in any college class, and you'll be lucky to get above a 2.0 unless the material is piss easy.

Deleted
    Because otherwise you end up working in a fast food for the rest of your life and have a money hungry boss and a coworker who hates you. You'll live in a house with pet, have no gf and your best friend will be retarded.

I don't.

Minimum wage minimum effort.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 07:23 PM ----------

College learning is nothing like high school. Not even close. You don't do well in college level classes by simply trying. You have to know the material in and out like the back of your hand if you want good grades. You can't passively learn shit in college like you could in high school. There's just no way to compare them. You can sit on your ass and barely doing anything in high school and get above a 3.0 and maybe do half the homework. Do that in any college class, and you'll be lucky to get above a 2.0 unless the material is piss easy.
    Depends on the person in all honesty. People could know the material like the back of their hand but fail to regurgitate it on to a test. Most college classes are basically just memorization. Some upper division courses actually entail using your brain.

People can get by with not doing crap with a 3.0+ GPA. Some even with 3.5 or higher.

This is all from the perspective of a science major senior.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-11-23 at 07:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What type of science major in particular? I'm curious, because most classes I'm taking right now don't involve pure memorization, aside from my biology courses. I can see it being the case with different types of majors, sure.

to me, the most important thing is to feel like I am doing something of my own choosing ( I know, studying is a choice, but the exercises and curriculum is not). Try to read books that are not necessarily recommended, do your own research, make discussion groups where you can have topics of your own choice (prefferably related to your topics of study, somehow), and so on.

In my experience, reading a book that I chose to read can be great, even though reading the same book as homework can be horribly boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I never had any trouble staying sufficiently motivated to graduate with a decent enough GPA. It's just not all that hard. Showing up isn't exactly a difficult task.
    This is excellent advice!

I dont really know how "college" works in US (witch im assuming you are from), but at what age can you start college? (as a normal person, not uber smart and start at lower age) college is the same as university in the US, or is it below uni?

Anyway in Uni in EU, (or atleast my country) we have classes everyone need to take, doesnt matter what you are going to be, doctor, professor, archeaologist etc. You need to pass them. And these are not my favorite classes, but i need them so i force my self to study, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. One day you will be done
    What keeps me motivated, is that in a few years i will be done, and i can start "my life" doing something i love.
    And when it comes to studying. I show up 100% to all classes, when i get home i sit all day studying (except for 2 last hours before i sleep), and its important with breaks, but dont log into WoW or something that will pull you away from studys! because it will. But take breaks that relaxes your brain, as in watching series, go out for a run etc
    And do everything before the weekend, including cleaning, grocery etc (you get my point). So when the weekend comes, you do whatever you want to do.
    Atleast that works for me
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it is.

Depending on what you take of course but if you're taking a class in something you aren't interested in then you're doing it wrong.

But if you choose something you actually want to do and have a passion for then its more passive than ever.

If someone wants to be an electrical engineer there is a good chance hes been self teaching and playing with circuits long before he ever enrolled in college. Its not so much something you need to be motivated for as it is learning new tricks and getting paid for having fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not motivated, primarily because I have no flipping idea what I want to do.

Deleted
    im not motivated i just go anyway.

For me.. I just didn't want to be loser when I grew up. I wanted to be something. I know this'll sound condescending. But that was my mindset.

Ironically, I couldn't find work after undergrad. I went straight back to graduate school.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I'm not motivated, primarily because I have no flipping idea what I want to do.
    True that, I have no clue either.