Poll: Will you buy a Surface?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Will you buy a Surface tablet?

I am curious as to what my fellow MMOC'ers think about the Surface. I personally think it's great to have another option for a good tablet in the marketplace (other than just iPad and Android). I will probably buy a Surface eventually, but not the first generation. What do you guys think?

I doubt I'll be picking one up, I've had a first generation iPad for a few years now and I almost never use it, I guess I just prefer my laptop for mobile browsing and stuff like that.

Note: This isn't to say that I dislike the Surface, I'm very impressed with what I've seen and I wholeheartedly hope it gives the iPad some real competition.

Deleted
    Well since the M$ app store has under 1% of the apps of other stores then its not really worth it. The RT is expensive and restrictive crap that has no apps and since buying into these walled garden platforms is all about the apps then it would be stupid to buy the one with none.

The i5 version might be nice but will either cost too much to get with a keyboard or will be as unreliable as usual M$ hardware turns out to be.

Costs are too high to get stuck with the crap app store or poor reliability.

I plan on eventually owning a Windows Tablet, but I likely won't do that with the Surface. It rivals the iPad in terms of cost, but doesn't have the hardware to back up that price. Maybe when another company makes a solid tablet for a hundred or so less I'll pick it up.

It is a lot of money to spend on a Tegra 3 tablet, especially when Tegra 4 has been slated for Q1 2013 since pre-April. Best to wait and see.

Although I really wanted the Surface ever since it was announced, that desire soured when I saw the $500 price-tag. $100 too much for lackluster internals: standard 1366x768 resolution and a T30 SoC; the only thing that stands out to me is the 2GB RAM capacity, but that is not huge due to the crazy low prices of RAM these days. The TF700T has a T33 SoC and a 1900x1200 resolution, while being priced ~$12 cheaper. I rather want the Surface, but must wait... Too soon Executus.

I'm sure the Surface Pro will cost even more, and will be releasing less than 3 months prior to Haswell. Anything more than $400 is just too far out of my disposable income range. I could be using the money to build/upgrade a gaming rig instead.
    Last edited by Frostea23; 2012-10-26 at 11:34 PM.
    Waste not, want not.

Windows is the best, in my opinion, hand-held format.
    However, these units do not interest me in the slightest; I don't need a fourth of the horsepower on the stronger tablet, and I don't like the resolution on the lesser Surface tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Well since the M$ app store has under 1% of the apps of other stores then its not really worth it.
    The really popular apps will be ported most likely.

Wow seriously biased poll!

What about all the other options for non-MS Windows Tablets? HP, Samsung and Dell as well as many others also released tablets based on the Windows 8 platform (which I've been using since the early betas). Unlike Apple, MS open up the market to multiple vendors to increase competition, and reduce price.

Personally, I won't be buying the ARM-chipset versions of the surface. I will be waiting for either the Intel chip ones with the full OS. If that is the MS surface, or Dell Latitude 10 or the other new offerings I don't know yes.

iPad, Galaxy Tab, ARM-based surface - just smartphones in a big form factor, running a limited number of dumbed down apps with limited capabilities
    Intel-based surface - a fully functioning PC that will run full applications, not just little "apps".
    Gorbag - Elemental Shaman since Nov 2004
    Raider of Logic Tarren Mill EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurflord View Post
    Wow seriously biased poll!

What about all the other options for non-MS Windows Tablets? HP, Samsung and Dell as well as many others also released tablets based on the Windows 8 platform (which I've been using since the early betas). Unlike Apple, MS open up the market to multiple vendors to increase competition, and reduce price.

Personally, I won't be buying the ARM-chipset versions of the surface. I will be waiting for either the Intel chip ones with the full OS. If that is the MS surface, or Dell Latitude 10 or the other new offerings I don't know yes.

iPad, Galaxy Tab, ARM-based surface - just smartphones in a big form factor, running a limited number of dumbed down apps with limited capabilities
    Intel-based surface - a fully functioning PC that will run full applications, not just little "apps".
    The topic asks only if you're going to buy a Surface tablet, or if you like other tablets. Not anything else.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    No. It is really bad at playing games and streaming content. There was a guy playing cut the rope, one of the most basic games for tablets out there, and it was lagging very, very badly. It also took it's time streaming simple Youtube content too. It was stuttering a lot. Some of it's hardware isn't very good either. It's cameras are fairly shit, and it's VaporMg casing apparently feels like a thin, plasticy version of aluminium. It does have expandable memory, however. It's app store is also lacking.
    Sorry for just simple sentences, had 3 exams today and I can't be bothered to elaborate or do anything except put full stops at the end of everything.
    I've just put in mah order for a 4th gen iPad. No, I'm not an apple fan-boy. But yes, I do like apple products.

Deleted
    I picked the ASUS Nexus 7 instead. While not necessarily aimed at the same audience, it fits my needs far better than the Surface. The price (again, for me) was almost half of that of the Surface.

Deleted
    It also turns out the RT Surface cannot even play HD media without lagging and skipping. Tho this will probably be a patchable issue, makes you wonder just how much testing M$ does with their products before release.

C.Net review of the Surface RT:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/micr...-35332494.html

The summary:
    The good: Microsoft Surface's Metro interface is innovative, elegant, powerful, and versatile. The tablet feels strong and well-built, includes Office 2013, and rich video and music services. Its keyboard cover accessories are the best ways to type on a tablet, period.

The bad: The tablet has sluggish performance, its Windows Store is a ghost town, Metro has a steep learning curve, and the Desktop interface feels clunky and useless.

The bottom line: If you're an early adopter willing to forget everything you know about navigating a computer, the Surface tablet could replace your laptop. Everyone else: wait for more apps.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    It also turns out the RT Surface cannot even play HD media without lagging and skipping. Tho this will probably be a patchable issue, makes you wonder just how much testing M$ does with their products before release.
    By repeatedly using M$ to refer to Microsoft, I feel like you are wearing your bias on your sleeve, and thus I have a difficult time taking your opinion seriously.

I have a first Gen ipad with 3g through work. We are currently testing the RT Surfaces, I REALLY like the keyboard built into the screen cover. I think it could potentially be an ipad replacement, but it will REALLY depend on the app market. For business/network purposes I can definitely see it being superior to other tablets, maybe not so much for home use as I don't think the market is as developed for home users.

For personal use I will likely wait and see what the surface with the i3/i5 looks like. If it has decent battery life, I could see where that type of tablet would REALLY dominate the market. Although I would love to also see the full version of W8 on a smart phone .

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to say "M$", all companies are aimed at earning money & increasing profits, they'd be daft not to.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I doubt I get one seeing I have a awesome Laptop and see no need to buy another device.

At the risk of going off-topic, does anybody know a site that has Windows 8 tablets from the various manufacturers listed and tabulated by feature? Google is being rather uncooperative this evening.

As soon as Surface Pro will be released i'll buy it right away. It'll be a great replacement for my netbook and tablet.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2012-10-26 at 07:52 PM.

IMHO Apple's iPad is a great tablet the quality and polish is great "SHHH the maps thing never happened" >.> While apples desktops to be honest are worthless there laptops, phones and tablets are great.