Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I need a sentence translated to Sindarin ( one of J.R.R Tolkien's elvish languages)

A little backstory: My mom is getting a tattoo and I'm trying to convince her that getting the text in something as cliche as the chinese characters is lame. So she wanted to find a cool untraditional language to get her tattoo in. So, I suggested Sindarin because from what I remember its pretty, and it's not like you'll see many people with elvish tattoos. In any case the sentence I need translated is: "Honey badger don't care."

By the way I don't condone her actions of getting this silly tattoo, and I told her she should get "Honey badger doesn't give a shit." if she wanted to go all the way with it.

So if anyone, or more than one person (It would be nice to verify that it is correct, or relatively correct) knows Sindarin and can translate this for me I'd appreciate it greatly.

This is by far the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. Best of luck.

This is easily an 8 out of 10 on the "gonna regret this in a year" scale.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-26 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there honey badgers in Middle-Earth?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I believe it's, 'You will regret this.'

That's a rough translation, of course.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    This is by far the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. Best of luck.

This is easily an 8 out of 10 on the "gonna regret this in a year" scale.
    Yeah... I don't disagree with you. She wants to get it in german, but I think german is ugly. No offense to any germans. So I'm just offering an alternative to her.... Not that she'll actually listen to me.

Should just get it written out in wingdings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
    Yeah... I don't disagree with you. She wants to get it in german, but I think german is ugly. No offense to any germans. So I'm just offering an alternative to her.... Not that she'll actually listen to me.
    Arabic script is quite pretty. Swahili is a cool sounding language, would certainly include the Honey Badger, but it just uses normal Phoenician characters for its alphabet I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Should just get it written out in wingdings.
    This would be excellent.

Get it in Comic Sans font!

Quote Originally Posted by nachoman007 View Post
    Get it in Comic Sans font!
    Comic Sans is clearly too serious for this kind of subject material.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Arabic script is quite pretty. Swahili is a cool sounding language, would certainly include the Honey Badger, but it just uses normal Phoenician characters for its alphabet I think.
    I'm lazy. Any chance you want to (and anyone else offering suggestions) go ahead and post the translated version of it in your suggested language? Also, Wingdings... lololol

10+ Year Old Account
    *لعسل غرير ل* *عطي *لخر*ء is the Arabic script for "Honey Badger don't give a shit, according to Google Translate, btw. In Swahili it's "Asali Badger wala kutoa shit" I'm guessing google translate failed on that one.

I could tell you how to say "My Donkey is Stuck in the Sand" in Swahili though. I've known that one for years.

Quote Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
    I'm lazy. Any chance you want to (and anyone else offering suggestions) go ahead and post the translated version of it in your suggested language? Also, Wingdings... lololol
    Must...resist...urge....to translate...wrong...sentence...

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    *لعسل غرير ل* *عطي *لخر*ء is the Arabic script for "Honey Badger don't give a shit
    hahahaha, I mean...yes that's exactly what it says! /pokerface

omniglot . com / writing / tengwar . htm (won't let me post links...)

It's a made up language, I wouldn't be worried about her getting assaulted by some nerd for not having elvish words in elvish, just use the phonetic alphabet to basically pronounce "honey badger don't give a shit" with the characters.

Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzelbizzeg View Post
    omniglot . com / writing / tengwar . htm (won't let me post links...)

It's a made up language, I wouldn't be worried about her getting assaulted by some nerd for not having elvish words in elvish, just use the phonetic alphabet to basically pronounce "honey badger don't give a shit" with the characters.

Good luck with that.
    Thank you. Very helpful. Also, the reason I asked for a translation is because I know the actual grammar of the language isn't like english. So you can't exactly translate each letter and stick them together to make it the sentence you need. But this might have to do. Like you said, it's highly unlikely that some nerd will approach her and give her shit because it isn't correct. I'm surprised no one on this forum so far knows Sindarin which just goes to show the chances she'll ever meet someone who studied it.

Why Sindarin? :S Sindarin is the common tongue, pretty much. Quenya sounds prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Why Sindarin? :S Sindarin is the common tongue, pretty much. Quenya sounds prettier.
    Just because it's the common tongue. Idk. They both kinda look similar so I didn't think it mattered too much.

Should just get the One Ring's inscription tattooed on her to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    Should just get the One Ring's inscription tattooed on her to be honest.
    Lol yeah... She's not really into LOTR, I just gave her this alternative because I think the choices she gave me were lame (chinese characters, german, french... etc). And I think J.R.R Tolkien's elvish letters look cool. Besides, if she did regret it, at least she could claim that it meant something else and almost nobody would know any better.

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 09:10 PM ----------

I kind of thought about giving her a translated version of something like "This is a sentence" and telling her it was "Honey badger don't care." But I think that would be wrong.... lolol

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    here's the problem.

Words not currently in Common Eldarin, which uses the Tengwar script.

Honey Badger, sadly tolken did not include any Mustelidae in his works.

Shit, many typical bodily functions where also left out of his works of fiction. So we have to look at the language that closest matches Common Eldarin since Tolkien was a linguist. He used his knowledge of Old High German to create all of his out worldly languages. Sadly there is no English to Old High German translators on the web. So use the next best thing, English to German.

Honigdachs gibt keine Scheiße.

Now to make it look Elvish.

It say's "Honey badger doesn't give a shit."

Free Tengwar fonts
    http://www.council-of-elrond.com/fonts/

good information.
    http://www.elvish.org/FAQ.html

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 02:22 PM ----------

I should point out that http://www.bing.com/translator might not have the translation right into German but I am sure one of the trolls here speaks German.