Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well except the no jump thing in Vindictus but otherwise it has the best combat in an mmo/pseudo-mmo that I've played.

I don't get the fascination with jumping. XD

Never seemed useful to me in most games. Aside from platformers of course. It wasn't like you could jump out of the path of a Shock in Swtor or leaping made a difference in Aion.

Just don't get it.

I hate in raid when everyone is rebuffing the motherf---ing DPS players get a case of the "hops". They are just jumping for no reason. Get out of here with that crap.

This will sound more conspiracy theory than is intended, but I think the combat in GW2 is designed to be fun right away for a first time player. I remember when I first played in a beta event and absolutely loved the combat. I was kiting and dodging and it was great. I got to level 11 or so and was all "IT'S AN MMO WHERE LEVELING IS ACTUALLY FUN" ... and then the game released and I got to lvl 40-ish and I didn't want to dodge ever again. Ever single mob did the exact same thing in every zone and for every event. Kite kite kite, dodge, repeat. It was exhausting. And I had 40 more levels to go. A stationary jungle worm could kill me in two hits but it took me over 20 seconds to kill it (sometimes way longer) ... which made me feel like a village idiot (which I get to feel plenty in real life).

I loved this game when I got it ... but 70+ levels of the exact same twitch combat with the exact same abilities just wore me out and broke me down. I've tried making alts but I just can't do it. I do not regret buying GW2, but I am disappointed. I really thought I'd love it but it don't fill that MMO void for me. Maybe I am just burnt out on MMOs.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Never seemed useful to me in most games. Aside from platformers of course. It wasn't like you could jump out of the path of a Shock in Swtor or leaping made a difference in Aion.

Just don't get it.

I hate in raid when everyone is rebuffing the motherf---ing DPS players get a case of the "hops". They are just jumping for no reason. Get out of here with that crap.
    WoW Fact: Zoning into a dungeon without jumping results in a server crash.

Just don't get it.

one thing people complained of in gw1 was having no jump, and the invisible walls. personally im glad it didnt. i loved how 'grounded' i felt since in real combat you arent jumping around like an epileptic monkey on crack. unless your Ong Bak.

They have melee mages that can shapeshift in Rift now. They are sorta the best tanks in the game and ungodly DPS. >.>

But now that you bring it up, I am not sure if GW2 is really all that "hybrid friendly" so to speak. It seemed to me that everyone was basically a DPS w/ some utility. And we all did the same job regardless.

To a degree, every class was remarkably similar too. Every one had a knockback, a rapid fire attack, an engage/disengage, etc. Playing a Rifle Warrior wasn't really all that special from a Longbow Ranger, for example.

I don't like class singularity but I also dislike homogeny in classes. Ideally, I want to build for whatever combination I desire. And have that be effective.

My favorite games are things like Radiant Arcana, Secret World, Guild Wars 1 and Path of Exile. Games where if I want to play a healer in plate mail that uses a bow and tanks from range, that is not only possible but can work.

I guess, I like having a role. But enjoy deciding the method of how I do that role freely w/o many restrictions. Or for example, Elder Scrolls. That system in TES is super appealing to me. I can use an axe in one hand, lightning in the other, conjure a minion, shapeshift, go invisible and do it in plate mail or a evening gown.

That's basically my ideal game; Elder Scrolls but with co-op.

In GW2 it was just like... "Well, guess I fire my bow and buff random people once every 2 minutes for 10 seconds." It's really uninteresting partly because there is no need for me to be there. No one really needs my Banner of Whateverthefuck to take down the veteran jotun or frost troll. Just totally inconsequential.
    Although super customization of a character to do exactly what you want him looks indeed pretty appealing, it doesn't work well (or at all) if you want to have a pvp aspect in the game. Balancing would be impossible (it's too hard even with a great degree of homogeneity anyway). I understand you're not interested in pvp, therefore I think that any game with a pvp side will most probably never cater to your customization needs.

Just don't get it.

I just like the freedom of movement.

One other game I forgot to mention where I like the combat, DCUO.

I liked DCUO too. Combat was more of a beat 'em-up/brawler. And I know Edge was a fan of the questing, but I hated batman calling me all the time.

Deleted
    Wish there was active block as in Tera, Vindictus or Raiderz. I remember the first class videos for GW2 were like Elementalist and Warrior. In the video it looked super epic that the warrior was able to bock a fire attack. At the time I was like... "holy shit active block!!"

Then I played in the closed beta of GW2 used the warrior block for the first time. It was like... living with a lie for years.

I think Raiderz got active combat with tactical considerations and actual mob tactics for groups [& solo] a lot better than GW2.

Heck, I regard Vindictus as better than GW2 in combat feel. And that game is years old at this point.
    What do you mean? there is active block and it works just fine it's just that it's CD is too long for it to make much diffrence (sadly), saying this cause your post almost makes it sound like active block isn't in the game at all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 01:48 PM ----------

The one thing that is starting to annoy me most about pve in GW2 is that virtually everyone (that I've grouped with) is still playing glasscannon builds, perhaps I'm just unlucky on my groups but I find everyone dropping dead on just about every encounter everywhere so I find myself rezzing downed players almost as much as anything else, and it totally pisses me off if I'm asked to kill myself because it's "faster" I even had a group in fractals where I managed to rezz the entire group twice on that simple snowy one (the elemental encounter) only to have them die all over again telling me I was prolonging it by finishign on my own, then stop dying fuckers! not sure why so many don't seem to adapt perhaps high powered class cannons are just too rewarding against regular mobs idk, it's not that I don't like getting a downed player up just annoying when too often.
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-12-11 at 12:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    What do you mean? there is active block and it works just fine it's just that it's CD is too long for it to make much diffrence (sadly), saying this cause your post almost makes it sound like active block isn't in the game at all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 01:48 PM ----------

The one thing that is starting to annoy me most about pve in GW2 is that virtually everyone (that I've grouped with) is still playing glasscannon builds, perhaps I'm just unlucky on my groups but I find everyone dropping dead on just about every encounter everywhere so I find myself rezzing downed players almost as much as anything else, and it totally pisses me off if I'm asked to kill myself because it's "faster" I even had a group in fractals where I managed to rezz the entire group twice on that simple snowy one (the elemental encounter) only to have them die all over again telling me I was prolonging it by finishign on my own, then stop dying fuckers! not sure why so many don't seem to adapt perhaps high powered class cannons are just too rewarding against regular mobs idk, it's not that I don't like getting a downed player up just annoying when too often.
    Nope, that's most of the player base they build for MOAR DAMAGE!! Which makes it like a hack and slash on nightmare difficulty, sure you kill things slightly faster (I don't even notice the difference) but a light breeze will destroy your soul and leave you to bleed out on the floor.

@Fencers, idk what you're talking about, I have an active block, 2 of them with one of my builds and I've gotten really good at using them seconds before the attack gets off so I can do other stuff longer xD

PS: how many people other than me do you think have 45% boon duration?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Active block as in one can just hold the right mouse trigger down to block/lift shield. The way block works in GW2 is more like just a defensive cooldown. Kinda lame.

Active block as in one can just hold the right mouse trigger down to block/lift shield. The way block works in GW2 is more like just a defensive cooldown. Kinda lame.

]
    I don't think gw2 block should be exactly like active block but a redesign across everyone that has a block.

I'm not contempt with mesmer blocking one attack then a stupid delay for the recoil damage to apply. Sitting duck during that delay and it loses value against multiple foes.

Maybe block can be designed as active, with a short CD, drains energy X per second and doesn't reduce all damage to 0 maybe 75% of the damage is reduced and come with an after effect (like engineers shockwave thing).

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Maybe block can be designed as active, with a short CD, drains energy X per second and doesn't reduce all damage to 0 maybe 75% of the damage is reduced and come with an after effect (like engineers shockwave thing).
    That's more or less how Tera and a couple of other games have their block function. It's okay depending on game.

I'd kinda like to swing with left mouse trigger too.

Basically, I don't like GW2 style of combat as much as eastern action combat MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's more or less how Tera and a couple of other games have their block function. It's okay depending on game.

Basically, I don't like GW2 style of combat as much as eastern action combat MMOs.
    Ugh, that block attack makes me cringe with how much it actually blocks... i'd prefer a more Demon Soul esc block system where you hold down your block bar and it negates a SIGNIFICANT portion of damage (around 80-90% if you have a shield equipped 75-80% if you have 2 handed weapon, 65-75% if you have an off hand) but it drains your dodge bar (which dodging doesn't make you immune to damage as my friend figured out when he tried to dodge through a dragons fire, idiot), AND it doesn't block everything IE really big monster drops a club 10times your size on your head and you try to block it? yup you'll be splattered on the floor, deal with it.

If they removed the immunity from dodge(god i hope so) and added a block mechanic for all weapons except maybe bows, pistols, foci, and rifles because, i mean, fuck, really? I'd be a happy sponge...

PS: Yeah, bull shit you can raise your pussy ass shield and block that tornado or wave of fiery death that's scorching the ground beneath your shield!!

PSS: Does that game have a monthly fee =D?
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted

Well I assumed you meant something like this, still there is active block as opposed to passive block procs.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 05:46 PM ----------

I'm the exact opposite although my only other experience is Tera but there I found it boring because it was impossible to fail simply due to how slow the combat was, you were slow, mobs were slow, animations were slow, combined of course with the exact same mob setup everywhere in every single zone, and also the ginormous healthpools that are complained about in GW2 Champions were even worse in Tera BAMFs cause there you had to go through it in slow motion... ugh..

I also disagree with the right click I desperatly need to have double mouse for moving :P

Another thing I can't stand is gear making every single female character look like a whore, seriously sometimes you wondered if the main reason for making the game was for lonely koreans to fap over, gear has to look reasonably functional to me (although I have to admit my archers roundhouse kick in high heels probably ranks as my favourite attack any game ever)

The game runs increadibly smooth though with very high FPS even on my garbage computer, I'd say shockingly well even.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Ugh, that block attack makes me cringe with how much it actually blocks... i'd prefer a more Demon Soul esc block system where you hold down your block bar and it negates a SIGNIFICANT portion of damage (around 80-90% if you have a shield equipped 75-80% if you have 2 handed weapon, 65-75% if you have an off hand) but it drains your dodge bar (which dodging doesn't make you immune to damage as my friend figured out when he tried to dodge through a dragons fire, idiot), AND it doesn't block everything IE really big monster drops a club 10times your size on your head and you try to block it? yup you'll be splattered on the floor, deal with it.

If they removed the immunity from dodge(god i hope so) and added a block mechanic for all weapons except maybe bows, pistols, foci, and rifles because, i mean, fuck, really? I'd be a happy sponge...

PS: Yeah, bull shit you can raise your pussy ass shield and block that tornado or wave of fiery death that's scorching the ground beneath your shield!!

Tera has a monthly fee 14-15 bucks or so, The dungeons are great, leveling and questing though will literally make you want to commit suicide...
    Last edited by mmoc7104c19b7e; 2012-12-11 at 05:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been meaning to say this but ever since the release of Fractals of the Mist, I can't help but get a little mad. ArenaNet contradicted themselves.

They made a type of progression for the dungeon that goes against everything they were talking about prior to the game. There is a reason why this game had a lot of hype at the beginning. In order to progress in the dungeon, you need to clear it once with a group, in order to progress in the next difficulty. Once you get to level 10+, you're going to start needing agony resistance to survive. You better hope that no one dcs in the group, or else they can't get back. You better not keep dying, especially in a pug, or else you may get repair damage and you are done if you can't clear all 3 of them. And that's the biggest pain, you have to clear all 3 in order to progress.

Everything else in this game was fine. It was a good MMO for players who were tired of the same formula. It had different things. But holy shit, the fact that I can't play with my friends on the difficulty they want to play at just gets to me. I have to risk pugging and possibly waste 1 - 2 hours if one of them dcs and things start falling out of control.

Don't get me wrong, the fractals themselves were fine. I liked them a lot. The new zone was essentially wasted effort, I see no reason for that thing to exist even. No one is even there. You don't do a single thing there.

I find myself logging in less and less now. And I mean, I don't even want to play now. It gets to me what ArenaNet does to keep people playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    You better hope that no one dcs in the group, or else they can't get back.
    This is plain catastrophicly retarded and needs to be adressed last week! don't like the levels restricting you either it can be very hard to find groups depending on when you have time to play, will give that LFG site a shot though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been meaning to say this but ever since the release of Fractals of the Mist, I can't help but get a little mad. ArenaNet contradicted themselves.

They made a type of progression for the dungeon that goes against everything they were talking about prior to the game. There is a reason why this game had a lot of hype at the beginning. In order to progress in the dungeon, you need to clear it once with a group, in order to progress in the next difficulty. Once you get to level 10+, you're going to start needing agony resistance to survive. You better hope that no one dcs in the group, or else they can't get back. You better not keep dying, especially in a pug, or else you may get repair damage and you are done if you can't clear all 3 of them. And that's the biggest pain, you have to clear all 3 in order to progress.

Everything else in this game was fine. It was a good MMO for players who were tired of the same formula. It had different things. But holy shit, the fact that I can't play with my friends on the difficulty they want to play at just gets to me. I have to risk pugging and possibly waste 1 - 2 hours if one of them dcs and things start falling out of control.

Don't get me wrong, the fractals themselves were fine. I liked them a lot. The new zone was essentially wasted effort, I see no reason for that thing to exist even. No one is even there. You don't do a single thing there.

I find myself logging in less and less now. And I mean, I don't even want to play now. It gets to me what ArenaNet does to keep people playing.
    Your "friends" can come back down to your lv and help you, if they were actual friends they'd do that and not force you to PuG, god knows my friends don't make me pug fractals groups unless they REALLY don't wanna do fractals (happened once but only one of em didn't want to because he had just done 5 lvs worth lol) and it works the same way as explo modes, you gotta do story before explo, and you'll have agony resist when you finally get to 10 so you don't need to worry about that.

And Anet never said "there will never be progression ever" like a lot if people seem to believe, they said there'd be no treadmill, which is true, there's not one, for now anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    This is plain catastrophicly retarded and needs to be adressed last week! don't like the levels restricting you either it can be very hard to find groups depending on when you have time to play, will give that LFG site a shot though.
    It's impossible for Anet to fix that fucking D/C issue soon enough, god knows ill be ecstatic when It's done because my wireless likes to go "Lololololol you'd know what's funny? Randomly not working that's what!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Your "friends" can come back down to your lv and help you, if they were actual friends they'd do that and not force you to PuG, god knows my friends don't make me pug fractals groups unless they REALLY don't wanna do fractals (happened once but only one of em didn't want to because he had just done 5 lvs worth lol) and it works the same way as explo modes, you gotta do story before explo, and you'll have agony resist when you finally get to 10 so you don't need to worry about that.

And Anet never said "there will never be progression ever" like a lot if people seem to believe, they said there'd be no treadmill, which is true, there's not one, for now anyways.

It's impossible for Anet to fix that fucking D/C issue soon enough, god knows ill be ecstatic when It's done because my wireless likes to go "Lololololol you'd know what's funny? Randomly not working that's what!!"
    That's the losers excuse for having friends help you. There are times when friends help me, and there are times when they don't. There are times when they don't login, and there are times when I don't. My friends are skilled players, we cleared all of explorable modes, even Arah exp 4. And fine, I should've said treadmill because that's what this feels like. Difficulty per clear? You got be kidding me.

And yeah, they have to fix that but I don't know how long it will take for them to fix that. It's been a while now. Almost a month and they still didn't fix it.

10+ Year Old Account

Raiderz is f2p but I honestly wouldn't recommend it, its far too gear dependent also don't expect to get anywhere without a group, its combat is similar to tera not as polished however.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Raiderz is f2p but I honestly wouldn't recommend it, its far too gear dependent also don't expect to get anywhere without a group, its combat is similar to tera not as polished however.
    Ouch, this makes me sad because the video makes it look pretty cool.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 12:42 PM ----------

That's the losers excuse for having friends help you. There are times when friends help me, and there are times when they don't. There are times when they don't login, and there are times when I don't. My friends are skilled players, we cleared all of explorable modes, even Arah exp 4. And fine, I should've said treadmill because that's what this feels like. Difficulty per clear? You got be kidding me.

And yeah, they have to fix that but I don't know how long it will take for them to fix that. It's been a while now. Almost a month and they still didn't fix it.
    Like I said several times, I only have 9 hours a week or so to play, which is from 9:30pm -2am Friday and sat, so I know ALL about schedules not lining up, however I'm assuming your play time schedule is a lot more flexible than mine so you probably get groups with your friends quite a bit more, I've pugged a few fractals, and I cringe at that thought so I see where you're coming from, I kinda wish they'd make it so you can pull someone up a bunch of lvs though but not pull them past an agony increase lv IE: you can pull your difficulty lv 1 friend up to lv 9 and can complete that giving him access to 10 and below, but you can't pull him up to 15 from 1 because he will probably need agony resist by tat point.