Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    2600Ks need a bit more attention because of the hyperthreading, so disable it. There, you have a 2500K. Have fun.

1.5V is pretty standard for many SB chips at 5.0 GHz.

All motherboards with the SLI branding can do SLI properly. Some have differently wired PCI-E slots, though nowadays most have an x16 and an x8 wired up if they don't have a PLX chip (which adds about 80 dollars to the end price).

You said it yourself. the TPU (or whatever it is called on the motherboard) gives you the clock speed at way too high a voltage to be certain that it is stable. Do it properly or not at all.

Nothing wrong with the R4, it is a brilliant case, one of the best on the market in the 100 dollar band. It sacrifices a minor amount of cooling potential for silence (or near silence).
    Why repeating what I've said? :P There's no need to turn HT off. Every motherboard? Not at all. 1x pci 3.0 x16 slot and a pcix2.0 x4 slot board, the first slot will be equal running to x4 because in an SLI configuration the cards both have the same information on their VRAM and it's obvious the first will synchronize it's speed to the 2nd.

In that situation, both cards will be running at Pcix 2.0 x4 which ain't enough.

R4 brilliant? If there is a case which is brilliant it's the nzxt switch 810. My nzxt phantom is reaching 700CFM and the case is only a few more bucks than the R4 and looks better in my opinion.

Id rather go for the nzxt phantom 410 (cheaper version) or the ANTEC DARK FLEET DF-35 which are in the same price range.

100eur for a R4 is too much

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    You make some really random posts and everytime someone disagrees with you.. you accuse them of either having bad "IT skills" or accuse them of copypasting from the internet. You tell everyone their argument is invalid, then accuse them of not being able to read.

Then you follow the opening insults up with some random post that has a bit of fact obscured by whatever theory/logic you came up with while presumably on a bad acid trip. You've displayed all of this, and more, consistently in this past week.

It's getting old Faithh, real fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Faithh, i think you have sufficiently proven with your last posts here in the computer forum, that your technical knowledge is doubtful at best.
    Was I somewhere wrong then?
    Last edited by Faithh; 2012-11-01 at 01:47 AM.

Why repeating what I've said? :P There's no need to turn HT off. Every motherboard? Not at all. 1x pci 3.0 x16 slot and a pcix2.0 x4 slot board, the first slot will be equal running to x4 because in an SLI configuration the cards both have the same information on their VRAM and it's obvious the first will synchronize it's speed to the 2nd.
    The Asrock Z77 Extreme4, which is the board in question, has a PCI-E 3.0 x16wired and a PCI-E 3.0 x8 wired, so it will run with PCI-E 3.0 x8/x8 in 2way SLI/CFX (i.e. the same as PCI-E 2.0 x16/x16). I don't think it has ANY 2.0 PCI-E slots at all. Where did somebody mention getting a PCI-E 2.0 board? I'm not seeing that. #

The motherboards suggested have been Z77 boards, and they ALL have PCI-E 3.0 hardware support (Asus P8Z77-V LK, Asus P8Z77-V, AsRock Z77 Extreme4/6, MSI GD65, Gigabyte Z77 UDH-3, Z77 UD3, G1 Sniper M3).

Even 4x PCI-E 3.0 is enough for a normal graphics card up to a 680 or 7970GHz, that is the same bandwidth as PCI-E 2.0 8x - people were running 590s in 8x 2.0 slots, so I'm sure an HD 7870 or GTX 660 will be absolutely fine.

R4 brilliant? If there is a case which is brilliant it's the nzxt switch 810. My nzxt phantom is reaching 700CFM and the case is only a few more bucks than the R4 and looks better in my opinion.
    The Switch 810 looks like a space-ship from Stargate or Star Trek, it isn't to everybody's tastes. The plastic is flimsy and looks cheap, and XL-ATX cases are huge. The R4 is as close to silent as it gets and is built out of steel and aluminium, with a very high quality sound dampening material on the side and top panels, and if you are paranoid about temperatures, get a water cooling system in there, but really you won't notice much of a difference, PERHAPS 5°C, which is practically nothing.

The Switch 810 that you love so much is 150.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-11-01 at 02:11 AM.

The Asrock Z77 Extreme4, which is the board in question, has a PCI-E 3.0 x16wired and a PCI-E 3.0 x8 wired, so it will run with PCI-E 3.0 x8/x8 in 2way SLI/CFX (i.e. the same as PCI-E 2.0 x16/x16). I don't think it has ANY 2.0 PCI-E slots at all. Where did somebody mention getting a PCI-E 2.0 board? I'm not seeing that. #

The motherboards suggested have been Z77 boards, and they ALL have PCI-E 3.0 hardware support (Asus P8Z77-V LK, Asus P8Z77-V, AsRock Z77 Extreme4/6, MSI GD65, Gigabyte Z77 UDH-3, Z77 UD3, G1 Sniper M3).

Even 4x PCI-E 3.0 is enough for a normal graphics card up to a 680 or 7970GHz, that is the same bandwidth as PCI-E 2.0 8x - people were running 590s in 8x 2.0 slots, so I'm sure an HD 7870 or GTX 660 will be absolutely fine.

The Switch 810 looks like a space-ship from Stargate or Star Trek, it isn't to everybody's tastes. The plastic is flimsy and looks cheap, and XL-ATX cases are huge. The R4 is as close to silent as it gets and is built out of steel and aluminium, with a very high quality sound dampening material on the side and top panels, and if you are paranoid about temperatures, get a water cooling system in there, but really you won't notice much of a difference, PERHAPS 5°C, which is practically nothing.

The Switch 810 that you love so much is 150.
    This, I don't recommend Asrock or the Asus without vrm heatsinks. Gigabyte, they're fine. I was recommending him an Asus p8z77-v which is almost at the same price range.

We all know that Every z77 has a Pci express 3.0 slot because the Pci-express controller is integrated in the CPU since they've released Sandy bridge. Intel is trying to get every controller in their CPU with every new architecture which would come up. Haswell would get a voltage controller.

I haven't been really looking deep into the motherboards specs. I just advised him an Asus p8z77-v which costs almost the same as the Asrock Xtreme4.

400W 12V: Nzxt phantom 32° - R4 39.4°
    200W 12V: Nzxt phantom 26° - R4 35.3°

Average of 8-9° cooler air in the case.

Source

http://be.hardware.info/reviews/2471...n-koeling-12-v

http://be.hardware.info/reviews/3203...eling-400-watt

The Nzxt switch 810 is a case which is meant for hardcore builds and especially Watercooling with 360mm or 480mm radiators in the top in pushpull configuration and even 4 graphics cards.

200Watt 12V: 21.7°
    400Watt 12V: 23,9°

And the most important now, they didn't test with additional fans like 3 - 4 you can mount even.

Conclusion: I'm seeing that the nzxt switch 810 has 20° cooler air in the case than the R4.

Perhaps 5°.

But you can't fit an rx360 rad in an R4 with all those fans and getting the performance out like in a switch 810.

Source

http://be.hardware.info/reviews/2636...n-koeling-12-v

Do you know how cool a cpu can get with a rx360 rad in push-pull, 6 static pressure fans and adding more fans to the case?

About those temp numbers I gave, yes I know that it doesn't mean the CPU temp will go down with 20° >.>

Look at this dude, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbpb23yTK8

Check the cpu temps >.<

This, I don't recommend Asrock or the Asus without vrm heatsinks. Gigabyte, they're fine. I was recommending him an Asus p8z77-v which is almost at the same price range.
    What are the bits I marked in red if not VRM heatsinks?

We all know that Every z77 has a Pci express 3.0 slot because the Pci-express controller is integrated in the CPU since they've released Sandy bridge. Intel is trying to get every controller in their CPU with every new architecture which would come up. Haswell would get a voltage controller.
    Then why the eff did you bring up PCI-E 2.0 4x?

see here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    In that situation, both cards will be running at Pcix 2.0 x4 which ain't enough.
    Nobody brought up PCI-E 2.0 but you.

I haven't been really looking deep into the motherboards specs. I just advised him an Asus p8z77-v which costs almost the same as the Asrock Xtreme4.
    No it doesn't, the Extreme4 is about €30 cheaper.

The Nzxt switch 810 is a case which is meant for hardcore builds and especially Watercooling with 360mm or 480mm radiators in the top in pushpull configuration and even 4 graphics cards.

200Watt 12V: 21.7°
    400Watt 12V: 23,9°

And the most important now, they didn't test with additional fans like 3 - 4 you can mount even.

Conclusion: I'm seeing that the nzxt switch 810 has 20° cooler air in the case than the R4.
    The OP doesn't seem to need a hardcore build with watercooling. So don't push a 150 dollar case on him if he doesn't need it.
    Do you know how cool a cpu can get with a rx360 rad in push-pull, 6 static pressure fans and adding more fans to the case?
    About those temp numbers I gave, yes I know that it doesn't mean the CPU temp will go down with 20° >.>
    The temperature in the case can NEVER go below ambient temperature without using some kind of peltier device, CO2 cooling, LN2 cooling or phase-change cooler (the kind of thing you have in a refrigerator). So saying that a Switch 810 is 20°C cooler than an R4 is misguided at best.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-11-01 at 03:04 AM.

What are the bits I marked in red if not VRM heatsinks?

Then why the eff did you bring up PCI-E 2.0 4x?

see here:

Nobody brought up PCI-E 2.0 but you.

No it doesn't, the Extreme4 is about €30 cheaper.

The OP doesn't seem to need a hardcore build with watercooling. So don't push a 150 dollar case on him if he doesn't need it.

The temperature in the case can NEVER go below ambient temperature without using some kind of peltier device, CO2 cooling, LN2 cooling or phase-change cooler (the kind of thing you have in a refrigerator). So saying that a Switch 810 is 20°C cooler than an R4 is misguided at best.
    It's N2, not LN2.

Can't you read? I've said that the Asus p8z77-v lx/lk whatever it was doesn't have VRM heatsinks. And there are STILL some z77 motherboards with only giving a 1xPCI Express 3.0 and 1x PCI express 2.0 (in some cases only x4 lanes).

I'm not going to check the full details of the motherboards he linked. But this is for sure, the Asus p8z77-v is the best motherboard of all the ones which been said in this topic and the extra $30 is worth it. 100% he won't regret it.

Did I ever say that he has to buy that case of been adivising him? No I didnt. Why I was getting the nzxt switch 810 out was to proove you were wrong about "perhaps 5°" only. CFM matters a lot in cooling especially the speed of airmovement which has a major impact of heat dissipation.

I said that the R4 wasn't worth it over the Nzxt phantom 410 or antec and I had my arguments about it why he should get the nzxt phantom 410/antec. The rubberthingies in the R4, the nzxt phantom 410 has them as well. An nzxt phantom 410 isn't made of plastic, actually the front & top panel is from plastic the rest metal.

A case is a personal preference if he likes the R4, fine. If he likes the Nzxt he has better cooling and a nice fan controller.
    Last edited by Faithh; 2012-11-01 at 03:56 AM.

LN2 = Liquid Nitrogen cooling. N2 is Nitrogen in its form at standard pressure and temperature (a gas that is extremely good at insulating hot things).

Can't you read? I've said that the Asus p8z77-v lx/lk whatever it was doesn't have VRM heatsinks.
    Then what are the metallic blue things on top of the VRM on those boards then? Decoration?

And there are STILL some z77 motherboards with only giving a 1xPCI Express 3.0 and 1x PCI express 2.0 (in some cases only x4 lanes).
    None of the boards mentioned in the thread have a PCI- 2.0 4x lane. Heck, not even a 3.0 4x slot.

Did I ever say that he has to buy that case of been adivising him? No I didnt. Why I was getting the nzxt switch 810 out was to proove you were wrong about "perhaps 5°" only. CFM matters a lot in cooling especially the speed of airmovement which has a major impact of heat dissipation.
    You were bigging up the case in a thread where people are advising the OP to buy a case. Even just mentioning the 810 looks like you are pushing him to buy the damn thing. And don't start arguing semantics.

LN2 = Liquid Nitrogen cooling. N2 is Nitrogen in its form at standard pressure and temperature (a gas that is extremely good at insulating hot things).

Then what are the metallic blue things on top of the VRM on those boards then? Decoration?

None of the boards mentioned in the thread have a PCI- 2.0 4x lane. Heck, not even a 3.0 4x slot.

You were bigging up the case in a thread where people are advising the OP to buy a case. Even just mentioning the 810 looks like you are pushing him to buy the damn thing. And don't start arguing semantics.
    I said that he had to buy the nzxt phantom 410/antec.

You were saying that the R4 is brilliant -> which is your opinion. My opinion was that the NZXT switch 810 is brilliant which is my preference, not my advise.

Id rather go for the nzxt phantom 410 (cheaper version) or the ANTEC DARK FLEET DF-35 which are in the same price range.

That was my advise.

[QUOTE]The Switch 810 looks like a space-ship from Stargate or Star Trek, it isn't to everybody's tastes. The plastic is flimsy and looks cheap, and XL-ATX cases are huge. The R4 is as close to silent as it gets and is built out of steel and aluminium, with a very high quality sound dampening material on the side and top panels, and if you are paranoid about temperatures, get a water cooling system in there, but really you won't notice much of a difference, PERHAPS 5°C, which is practically nothing.

The Switch 810 that you love so much is 150./QUOTE]

All the tralala what I've said about the switch 810 what meant for you.

Never never ever go with ASRock..

Don't go for the p8z77-v LK or LX or whatever just the normal Asus p8z77-v. Because they don't have either VRM heatsinks or proper SLI/CF support see below for more descriptions.

Go for this board only 160eur - The Asus p8z77-v
    Where I advised him the -V model. I was wrong about the CF/SLI setup, so my excuses. I checked them quickly via a shop and their information was different.