Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    No, SoE and LA couldn't come to an agreement on the licensing of the IP. The most likely scenario is that LA was asking for too much money and SoE didn't believe that SWG could compete in a market with a competing, HUGE budget Star Wars MMO. SWTOR was never supposed to be a replacement, it was just another Star Wars MMO, and one that took a radically different direction (theme park vs. sandbox).
    Eh. It doesn't change the fact that we should except more from a starwars game released in late 2011 than a starwars game released in 2003.

edit: especially within the same genre.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-10-30 at 07:22 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    The fact that you blindly blamed an unrelated company pretty much invalidates any contribution you could have to this conversation and labels you as a troll - if you can proceed beyond that, more power to you.
    So an accidental mistype automatically makes one a troll? Alrighty then. Mistypes invalidate contributions. I'm sure that you've misspoken before, so that must eliminate your contributions as well, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Eh. It doesn't change the fact that we should except more from a starwars game released in late 2011 than a starwars game released in 2003.

I spent hours writing many, many posts on the swtor forums last year. My general point was exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post

We should expect more from it, you're right. But they're not really the same genre. Sandbox and theme park games are extremely different and appeal to very different audiences. I would be hard pressed to find too many similarities between the two and any significant overlap in market appeal.

And a lot of the SWG praise is people (not necessarily saying you) looking back at it with rose colored glasses. It sold super well but had a very rocky launch (servers pooping themselves hardcore) and had some pretty good success for a while. NGE hurt the game considerably and it never recovered.

If it was as amazing as everyone keeps saying, it would have had a much larger playerbase and would likely still be around today. I'm not saying the game was bad, it seemed like it was awesome and those who still played around closing time really did love the game. But it didn't have the levels of commercial success that some people seem to think it did. The quality of a game sadly doesn't matter all too much, it's how much money it's making.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    We should expect more from it, you're right. But they're not really the same genre. Sandbox and theme park games are extremely different and appeal to very different audiences. I would be hard pressed to find too many similarities between the two and any significant overlap in market appeal.
    If only CCP would add a theme park style sub game on planets within the EvE universe, it would be the best game in history with sandbox space, fps shooter, and theme park RPG all in the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    If only CCP would add a theme park style sub game on planets within the EvE universe, it would be the best game in history with sandbox space, fps shooter, and theme park RPG all in the same game.
    That's the dream...

That's the dream.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    I would gain 700 lbs from being glued to my chair 18 hours a day, playing this masterpiece, if it were real. Seriously, let's kickstarter this and earn ALL the money to make it happen. Especially if they could give it story like SWTOR has. Fucking pvp and arena and raids and basically everything people want.. but tied to Dust, and the space game? My god. How could anyone not want to play that? You wouldn't have to do dailies, because you could meet your daily activity quota doing ALL the things.

Shit, I want to be in this right now. Goodbye family, goodbye friends and social life!
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/