Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    That will drive rich people out as it is doing in France with their new insane 75% tax bracket.
    Except that rich people don't stick around only because of lower taxes.

That will drive rich people out as it is doing in France with their new insane 75% tax bracket.
    Ok well I'm done here. This isn't even an issue of economic literacy, its just basic reading comprehension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Except it doesn't limit their personal liberty, it limits the actions of the corporation.
    You don't seem to realize that it isn't just speak liberty that the legal change you wish would allow the state to prevent and violate. It would allow states to simply pass a law that confiscates property from corporations, be it money or land or equipment or anything, and that law would be constitutional. If I invest in a corporation and suddenly the state passes a law that confiscates all the assets of the corporation, my basic economic liberty has been violated.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Each person can donate 500 of whatever currency to their cause after which any money donated will have 90% tax rate. No corporate donations.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-10-28 at 01:30 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

You don't seem to realize that it isn't just speak liberty that the legal change you wish would allow the state to prevent and violate. It would allow states to simply pass a law that confiscates property from corporations be it money or land or equipment or anything and that law would be constitutional. If I invest in a corporation and suddenly the state passes a law that confiscates all the assets of the corporation, my basic economic liberty has been violated.
    So you're afraid of something that will never happen? Do you also believe in the 2012 doomsday predictions?

You don't seem to realize that it isn't just speak liberty that the legal change you wish would allow the state to prevent and violate. It would allow states to simply pass a law that confiscates property from corporations be it money or land or equipment or anything and that law would be constitutional. If I invest in a corporation and suddenly the state passes a law that confiscates all the assets of the corporation, my basic economic liberty has been violated.
    And that kids is why corporations have to be able to secretly give as much money as they want to Super PACs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    And that kids is why corporations have to be able to secretly give as much money as they want to Super PACs.
    If i ever become a millionaire, Im donating to Colbert's super PAC, because mockery is the best form of transparency and getting crap done.

That must be why all the rich Americans left United States during the 1930s, 40s, 50s and 60s.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-10-28 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That must be why all the rich Americans left United States during the 1930s, 40s, 50s and 60s.
    No, instead they used any of the numerous ways available to them to not actually pay their taxes.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

No, instead they used any of the numerous ways available to them to not actually pay their taxes.
    Working the tax system is nothing new, and peopel still do it today. But the rich back then still ended up paying several times more than today's.

The USA's biggest economic boom periods were at times with extremely high taxes, even as high as 90%.

Overturn the Citizens United Supreme Court ruling.

Big source of election campaign money gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The USA's biggest economic boom periods were at times with extremely high taxes, even as high as 90%.
    And they paid an effective rate of about 50% which is also much higher than what people like Mitt Romney actually pays today.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we don't get money out of politics then we can't even have an honest debate in this country since our politicians are beholden to their gluttonous and ogrish overlords. Corporations controlling political discourse is killing our republic. This is not a partisan issue as 80% of Americans are in favor of legislation saying that corporations aren't people.

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is bleeding to death
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.