Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Soo... Warhammer Online?

Is this still played anymore? They went down to two servers last year which at least kept the population relatively knit together now. I always did enjoy it but found myself slinking away until they fixed the sheer number of bugs and problems that made it a headache, then just ended up never really returning.

Might not be the best forum to ask it on but hey. I am surprised EA hasn't tried to switch it over to F2P yet as a sort of 'test' for SWTOR's but there you go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think EA figures its been too long and wouldn't make enough out of changing WAR to F2P to make it worthwhile. I left for good after the second billing fiasco and I don't know anyone doing anything with the game. Pretty much "maintenance mode," I guess, until they decide to turn the last couple of servers off.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I think EA figures its been too long and wouldn't make enough out of changing WAR to F2P to make it worthwhile. I left for good after the second billing fiasco and I don't know anyone doing anything with the game. Pretty much "maintenance mode," I guess, until they decide to turn the last couple of servers off.
    Yeah it's pretty much just run by a guy in an office, sipping coffee these days.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Pretty much this.

I'm sure they investigated and forecast numbers, but they probably didn't see a reasonable return on the investment (F2P transition is expensive) so they left it alone. The game really doesn't hold up today. It looks god awful, still has a ton of fundamental issues with the design direction and gameplay.

It's a damn shame, because there are a lot of interesting aspects to the game. I'd KILL for another game to have class combat mechanics as varied and awesome as what exists in Warhammer. Seriously, Archmage, Swordmaster and Warrior Priest (Classes I messed around with when I played) all had way fun mechanics that made them much more interesting to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Might not be the best forum to ask it on but hey. I am surprised EA hasn't tried to switch it over to F2P yet as a sort of 'test' for SWTOR's but there you go.
    It's possible that the majority of the players that are playing, more or less a niche, will continue to keep playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wrathofheroes.warhammeronline.com/ I find it quite a bit more fun the Warhammer Online. Plus due to the nature of the game they have some cool heroes like a Tomb Scorpion and an Ogre, eventually they will be putting back i the Troll and Dryad!

Deleted
    Speaking of MMO's that did not meet expectations, is Gw2 dead yet?

(Not meaning to start an argument, I'm just wondering, because in all of the circles I'm involved with, it seems like it failed just like every other MMO.)

I enjoyed a lot about WAR but ti was just not a playable game. Like really unplayable-- as in it didn't work.

Mythic are sort of a bad developer. Everything they touch has been awful. No DAOC nostalgia here either-- that game was not good.

Think they keep WAR up at this point for the license really. The claim of WAR being ran by one guy in an office sipping coffee is prob. apt. They are down to 2 servers last I heard.

Warhammer is one the actual few "WOW clones" that were made. And actual attempted "WoW killer".

Neither worked out for them. Just a ton of mistakes from design & philosophy to marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post

(Not meaning to start an argument, I'm just wondering, because in all of the circles I'm involved with, it seems like it failed just like every other MMO.)
    It's a super popular MMO still. The majority of servers are slotted as full to high from NA to EU at all hours of the day. Cities are so packed you routinely hit overflow servers [a queue]. There was only 2 servers not slotted as High or Full last week; they were Medium.

More servers were opened to accommodate players.

Some areas are so busy that mobs melt almost instantly from there onslaught of players. It's not uncommon for cities to have so many players one literally can not see all the players around you on screen. Because the engine has to render so many at once.

World versus World might take 30 mins to an hour to get in the battleground. On a weekday. In the middle of the day. On weekends, people wait over an hour to get in to WvW by server.

The game was selling so well that Anet decided to stop selling GW2 for like a week.

Guild Wars 2 is quite the success. Not sure how it seemed to "fail". Likely that's your own personal perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Guild Wars 2 is quite the success. Not sure how it seemed to "fail". Likely that's your own personal perception.
    Using the argument that it had to be stopped from selling isn't one that counts right now. Only population, activity, can be used. A game can be sold a tril times and still only have two player online. That said, I quit playing GW2 a month(ish) ago and I too would reckon that it failed my expectations. But that is what it is, my personal opinion.

*sigh*

Such an awesome IP Warhammer is. A shame how the game turned out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post

It can't really fail, in my opinion, as it's sold enough already (I guess)

For me, however, the honeymoon is over. It's nice to log on, however, when I am bored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    *sigh*

Such an awesome IP Warhammer is. A shame how the game turned out.
    WAR had so much potential but it was such a bad design. You can tell when it started to dawn on them during Beta too. Instead of starting over they tried to shoehorn fixes in and it just didn't work.

How about this blast from the past.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-10-29 at 07:38 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    it isn't 40k, that's why it failed.

Why would i care about another stone age MMO like WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blikz1 View Post
    it isn't 40k, that's why it failed.

Why would i care about another stone age MMO like WoW
    Cause the Warhammer Universe is very rich on lore and a lot of people like the setting?
    I think you're forgetting that you=/=the world

Deleted
    Yeah, i'm sorry for my ignorance, i'm a 40k nerd and i never really bothered with this.

The PVP (err... RVR?) in that game was actually pretty awesome. They really nailed open world PVP incentives, group questing, and even battlegrounds. WoW's scenarios are basically directly taken from WAR's group quests (but put in an instance). One of the things it really lacked at the time were good dungeons, though. That was a mistake.

It's too bad it was utterly mismanaged because it had a lot of potential. There are still great ideas in that game that I'm surprised haven't shown up in games like WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blikz1 View Post
    Yeah, i'm sorry for my ignorance, i'm a 40k nerd and i never really bothered with this.
    And that's fine, and it's fine you didn't care. Doesn't mean that that's the reason why it failed.

Man. Warhammer was such a disappointment. There were things I really liked in that MMO. I liked the collision, I liked some of the class mechanics. The game was just too rough and not smooth enough to hold up to scrutiny.

Really liked the PvP scenarios they had in Warhammer. Sad shame it couldn't be better.

I still go back and play it every once and a while. pvp scenarios at lvls 1-10 were great.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I played for about a month, and during that time I really enjoyed playing. However, the honeymoon ended and I couldn't stand the game. What set me off was that I expected the classes on both factions to be different... not the same just reskined. That combined with the poorly designed "public questing system," and that the combat was very "blocky and choppy" feeling.

Unfortunately, I was a victim of the over charging fiasco. Luckily, it took a quick phone call to fix it. The call was all of about 5 min, and the CS woman was very nice and I had my money back with in the hour.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven