Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Stealth-based action games like Dishonored

So,i've just finished Dishonored,and im absolutely blown away.I've always liked stealth based games,but this game just made me love them.But,i can't seem to find any similar games to this one.I've played Splinter Cell,and i've played Assassin's Creed (not much i must admitt).Third person view games are fine,but im rooting for FP,if possible.I'm no Cod-Kid,but older games aren't really my thing,but you can list them.

I hope this thread will be usefull to others also,thank you

Deleted
    Dues Ex Human Revolution I suppose. There's also the thief series of games, but word of warning, they're old looking games, and they will penalise you heavily for failing to be stealthy; still one of best Stealth series I've ever played though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_II:_The_Metal_Age

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief:_Deadly_Shadows

15+ Year Old Account
    Could always play Skyrim and join the dark brotherhood

Splinter Cell is a classic too.

And the original Deus Ex too.
    Dishonored's stealth is very easy, compared to other games that encourage the player to stay hidden.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Play through a Metal GEar Solid game without being seen. That is so much fun to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I was going to say pretty much everything Istaril said, so yea that. Also I immensely enjoyed dishonored as well, but not for the stealth(I did do a non lethal play through), but there is such an amazing feeling of freedom of movement in that game, that's what really turned me on about it.

Nothing really comes close to that other than assassin's creed. The first game is pretty lack luster, but it was their first and they have only been getting better with each release, significantly. If you were to play assassin's creed skip the first one (read up on the story if you want) but I recommend playing the second and beyond.
    Last edited by minianthunter; 2012-10-28 at 12:04 AM.

Deleted
    Deus Ex HR is quite recent and the stealth is similar in a way but more focused on technology than magic. Thief 1-3 are other good examples but quite dated.

Hitman games require an element of stealth and subterfuge but, again, not quite the same. If pushed I would say I prefer the Hitman mechanics but it is 3rd person so not quite what you are looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eowenn View Post
    Could always play Skyrim and join the dark brotherhood
    I cannot recommend more heavily against Skyrim as a stealth game. In Skyrim, stealth turns you into an invisible juggernaut once you get your skill up. As in "I can just keep shooting this dragon and it'll never see me from 30 feet away" strong. I played through the game with a stealth character, and I actually had to reload and make a new character who never ever invested any points in stealth for any reason to find any challenge in the game. Otherwise, every dungeon was basically "oh look, I activated a trap, and 50 enemies spawned. But they can't see me, so now I'll shoot them one by one in complete safety."

It's a great game in other ways, but the stealth mechanic is abominable.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dishonored's stealth is very easy, compared to other games that encourage the player to stay hidden.
    I agree,but i wasn't talking about difficulty,for all i care,it can be easy as fuck as long as it is withing similliar playstile.

Deus Ex i have tried once,somehow didn't get into it,will try again for sure.I mentioned that i played Splinter Cell,but old one,will try "new" one,Conviction i think its called.

Deleted
    Alien vs. Predator game is a good stealth game, atleast the Alien and Predator campaigns.

I have played other stealth games before but I can't really remember any other than AvP...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I cannot recommend more heavily against Skyrim as a stealth game. In Skyrim, stealth turns you into an invisible juggernaut once you get your skill up. As in "I can just keep shooting this dragon and it'll never see me from 30 feet away" strong. I played through the game with a stealth character, and I actually had to reload and make a new character who never ever invested any points in stealth for any reason to find any challenge in the game. Otherwise, every dungeon was basically "oh look, I activated a trap, and 50 enemies spawned. But they can't see me, so now I'll shoot them one by one in complete safety."

It's a great game in other ways, but the stealth mechanic is abominable.
    That's kinda the whole point of being stealthy. Maybe it isn't for you but that's the meaning of stealth.

Definitely the Deus Ex/Thief series if you're looking for FPS style stealth games.
    But my personal favorite stealth game of all time is Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater. You don't need to play any others first to get the story, it's the beginning of the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    That's kinda the whole point of being stealthy. Maybe it isn't for you but that's the meaning of stealth.
    When I play a stealth game, I want to have to sneak around, avoid being spotted, and skillfuly remove vulnerable targets.

I don't want to be an invisible demigod who can one-shot dragons by stabbing them in the foot.

Once you've got stealth maxxed in Skyrim, it doesn't matter if it's broad daylight and you're in the middle of an empty courtyard. You can crouch and walk right up to someone looking directly at you and stab them in the face, and all the guards around the courtyard who've been watching this the entire time will then go "Oh god, what was that?" and start running around in panic. Because they can't see you. Even though you're wearing black and standing in the middle of a brightly lit area with nothing to hide behind. Because you crouched.

If you're not looking just for new games, there's an old ps2 ninja game with a nonsensical storyline, ugly graphics, and kickass gameplay. I spent a lot of time playing it: Shinobido: Way of the Ninja. Like Dishonored, you don't actually need to kill anyone, and being seen makes the game harder, as you're a ninja being employed by 3 rival daymios. When one of the daymios get a report that you're working against him/her, they start going hostile on you. OR you can manage to kill everything, steal everything and deliver everything all without being seen, granting you favor with all 3 of them. It's a nice little system.
    I hear it got a sequel on the Vita. If you got one, might as well shoot for that one because getting a copy of the first one isn't exactly easy.
    Last edited by Valenhil; 2012-10-28 at 03:09 AM.

You said you'd prefer new games, but I must stress how great the Thief games are. Dishonored would not be the game it is without the Thief games as inspiration. I think you'd like them if you can get past the dated graphics! Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are also both very good, with DE:HR being much more recent.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can try something like WarZ/DayZ, they are both online zombie games but you still have to stealth around and avoid zombies and other players. Other than that the only other stealth game that I remember playing was Assassins Creed, but you already played that one.

Edit: I haven't played them but I think that the Tomb Raider games are stealthy-ish.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-10-28 at 03:42 AM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Metal Gear Solid, Sly Cooper, Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell, Some James Bond games although its mission specific really, Perfect Dark had some elements of stealth. I try to actually make games incorporate it heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the games that come to my mind have already been posted though the highlights would probably be the thief series, deus ex series (if you want to play it that way), and the metal gear series. I'm gonna agree with the poster who said metal gear 3 if you're to pick a metal gear. I don't know how you feel about long cutscenes (I personally love them in metal gear) but playing that game on it's hard mode can make the stealth very challenging and fun plus you have so much versatility and freedom of choice in the way you want to take down enemies via weapons, gadgets, tactics, etc.

P.S. That 'Mark of The Ninja' game looks incredibly fun. Must get it on Steam soon.

P.P.S. I'd also like to mention that if you really don't want to try old (bad aging) games like the thief series then you could possibly hold your breath for Thief 4 (Thi4f). It was announced 3 and half years ago so it's safe to assume that the game should, hopefully, come out soon.
    Last edited by ElAmigo; 2012-10-28 at 07:11 AM.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

I would highly recommend Hitman games. It is played in 3rd person however you do have the option to play in 1st person as well.

Deleted
    I recommend MGS series, great gameplay, great story