10+ Year Old Account

FOV changes and beta test

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...rst#post551634

Martin Kerstein
    Head of Global Community

We’re ready to beta test a change to our FOV (Field of View) that should provide a better experience for those with widescreen monitors. We want your feedback about the change to help us decide whether to deploy it to all players.

To help test, you’ll need to add a special command line to your GW2 client’s shortcut. Here’s how:

1) Create a shortcut to your GW2 client (right-click -> “Create Shortcut”)
    2) Right-click the GW2 client shortcut
    3) Click “Properties”
    4) Locate text field labeled “Target.”
    It should contain the file path of your shortcut, and will look something like this:C:\Games\Gw2\Gw2.exe
    5) Type -testVerticalFov at the end of the Target line
    Be sure to include a space between .exe and -test.
    The line should look like this: C:\Games\Gw2\Gw2.exe -testVerticalFov
    Please note that your Target line may or may not have quotation marks. If it does have quotation marks, this tag should go outside of them. So it will look like this:
    “C:\Games\Gw2\Gw2.exe” -testVerticalFov
    6) Once the command line has been added, click Apply -> OK.
    7) That’s it! Jump in and play with this new setting, and post your feedback in the following thread: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...rst#post551648

If at any time you want to return to the old FOV, simply remove the –testVerticalFov from your target line and it’ll return to normal.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2012-10-28 at 02:17 AM.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hell yes! Thank you for posting this, I don't know If I would have ever known. +1 Arenanet.
    Edit.
    I think it makes the weird camera smoothing more obvious. Nonetheless it is awesome that Anet is working on it.

Deleted
    I tried this. There seems to be some difference, though no clue how much to be honest. without a side-by-side comparison I can't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I tried this. There seems to be some difference, though no clue how much to be honest. without a side-by-side comparison I can't tell.
    Here's the current FOV

Here's with the new FOV

Frankly I find this "problem" much ado about nothing. I currently use a 24" monitor on 1920x1200 on Best Appearance settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Here's the current FOV

Here's with the new FOV

Frankly I find this "problem" much ado about nothing. I currently use a 24" monitor on 1920x1200 on Best Appearance settings.
    There are some people that have problems with the current FoV (feeling sick, headaches, etc.), so I wouldn't call it much ado about nothing. I don't have those problems myself, but it's good that they're working on it for those that do.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    ohhh must try that
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Here's the current FOV

Here's with the new FOV

Frankly, I find your screenshots and the UI they show absolutely disgusting. No wonder you don't see a difference.

This little change has an effect, and even though the FoV rendering in it's current state is a bit strange (really not standard image handling), it makes the terrain/world feel much less flat for me, and that makes everything just a bit better.

What are you talking about "the UI they show absolutely disgusting"? It is the standard UI that you can't change, anybody who would pick up GW2 would have the exact same UI.

You must be imagining things because, FOV have no effect on what you've described.

Deleted
    No clue about terrain flatness, as I said something is different, but can't pinpoint what. Maybe they're still tweaking it, which is why I can't see much of a difference yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    No clue about terrain flatness, as I said something is different, but can't pinpoint what. Maybe they're still tweaking it, which is why I can't see much of a difference yet.
    What do you mean? The only difference is the FoV as they said it is, nothing needs to be 'pinpointed'. It's not easy to notice without looking at two screenshots taken of the same place facing the same way, but such a screenshot has been posted once. Here's a couple I took, I used the trees as a reference point and was zoomed out to max in both pictures.

As you can see in the second image you can see more of the area above and below my character, as well as to the right and left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That does look better, if only because you're not forced into enjoying a closeup of your characters posterior.
    Actually you are still treated with solid view angles from a snake on the ground perspective. It's just slightly less obvious since you can see more sky with this change.
    While I approve of the change they have made, I still believe they need to implement a physical slider in the options menu, cause one fov does not fit for all.
    Also the slider that moves your camera ancor off center, is nice, but a slider doing the same for height of the camera ancor is absolutely needed.
    I want to see more scenery on screen, and less ground and Ass, all while not getting physically ill. Not too much to ask I'm sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    What do you mean? The only difference is the FoV as they said it is, nothing needs to be 'pinpointed'. It's not easy to notice without looking at two screenshots taken of the same place facing the same way, but such a screenshot has been posted once. Here's a couple I took, I used the trees as a reference point and was zoomed out to max in both pictures.

[URL=http://imgur.com/ugWJR.jpg]
    [URL=http://imgur.com/IO4m6.jpg]
    As you can see in the second image you can see more of the area above and below my character, as well as to the right and left.
    You're right. Your screenshots show the difference better, in the other screenshots it was kind of confusing, it looked like it was scrolled out or something which is why I felt the difference wasn't clear but in yours I see it better.