Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Draenei Shadow Priest

    Trying this here since it was suggested.

    I've recently come back and I'm trying to figure out what character I really want to go with. I don't RP, but the story behind my character is still important to me. One of the classes I've been wanting to potentially go with is a Draenei Shadow Priest, but I'm unsure how that would really fit into the story. Most examples in the lore seem either evil or pretty insane. Is there room for a non-evil, completely sane Draenei Shadow Priest somewhere in the lore? If so, can someone help me find it? Thanks!

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,128
    Unfortunately the only shadow priest races to have any lore behind them are trolls and forsaken. Trolls use voodoo while Forsaken follow the words of a former human priest named Natalie Seline who's teachings were locked up by the Kirin Tor until the Forsaken found it. The teachings they follow are not so much evil but based on the balance between shadow and light. Both being considered a vital part of reality.

    So in the end, no. There's no lore for a Draenei Shadow priest but I suppose you could say your character learned it from a human that once followed Natalie since it's possible some of them are still around.

    If you want to know more about it then read this:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Cult_of_the_Forgotten_Shadow
    Last edited by leaks; 2012-10-28 at 02:42 AM.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  3. #3
    What about the fact that the Naaru seem to recognize that the Shadow and the Light are very intertwined and necessary for one another? Could the Draenei be someone who has taken up study of the Shadow in order to further understand and help maintain this balance? Draenei society is otherwise very unbalanced towards the Light side of the equation.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    What about the fact that the Naaru seem to recognize that the Shadow and the Light are very intertwined and necessary for one another? Could the Draenei be someone who has taken up study of the Shadow in order to further understand and help maintain this balance? Draenei society is otherwise very unbalanced towards the Light side of the equation.
    That's basically the principle of the teachings the forsaken priests follow so yes it's possible. At least I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't be though it would be highly frowned on by other draenei.

    I should add that I don't RP myself and I might be mistaken or missing something. Shadow priests are not necessarily evil though.
    Last edited by leaks; 2012-10-28 at 02:52 AM.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    That's basically the principle of the teachings the forsaken priests follow so yes it's possible. At least I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't be though it would be highly frowned on by other draenei.
    I don't have a problem with it being highly frowned upon, I like the idea of their being a little bit of tension as long as it's not quite as crazy as the issue caused by Warlocks running around the Exodar.

    My other main concern though is with the personality usually associated with those in the darker arts. Studying the Shadow doesn't require one to be selfish or evil, does it? Shadow, darkness, and death are not necessarily evil subjects. No more so than fire, ice, or the arcane in general are, at least.

  6. #6
    The fact that Draenei can be shadow priests is a Gameplay > Story thing. Similar to Warlocks having demons out while in cities.

  7. #7
    You could go with a priest that saw and learned from his/her time near Auchindoun.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 03:02 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    That's basically the principle of the teachings the forsaken priests follow so yes it's possible. At least I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't be though it would be highly frowned on by other draenei.

    I should add that I don't RP myself and I might be mistaken or missing something. Shadow priests are not necessarily evil though.
    They aren't evil in their own eyes but most people would just naturally consider them evil due to the nature of their power, not to mention most shadow priests NPC wise were worshipers of the old gods.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    My other main concern though is with the personality usually associated with those in the darker arts. Studying the Shadow doesn't require one to be selfish or evil, does it? Shadow, darkness, and death are not necessarily evil subjects. No more so than fire, ice, or the arcane in general are, at least.
    No being selfish or evil isn't necessary if you just go with the balance thing. Even warlock can be a good guy as long as they don't allow themselves to be consumed by the magic they wield.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    The fact that Draenei can be shadow priests is a Gameplay > Story thing. Similar to Warlocks having demons out while in cities.
    Is it though? Is there really no situation in which a Draenei could take up the Shadow while not turning into an evil, raging lunatic?

    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    No being selfish or evil isn't necessary if you just go with the balance thing. Even warlock can be a good guy as long as they don't allow themselves to be consumed by the magic they wield.
    It is a little bit harder to rationalize a Warlock however, considering they're far more taboo than even Shadow Priests are. I'm glad you feel the balance idea is a valid approach though.
    Last edited by Dalkailus; 2012-10-28 at 03:11 AM.

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post

    They aren't evil in their own eyes but most people would just naturally consider them evil due to the nature of their power, not to mention most shadow priests NPC wise were worshipers of the old gods.
    Yeah it's a taboo practice for most. The kind of things done in secret like fel magic and necromancy but not quite as hated. The people that use shadow magic are typically the bad ones so people don't trust it. Also I forgot about Auchindoun and can't remember anything about it off the top of my head. That's something worth looking into.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  11. #11
    Role-player Nonfictionless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    My other main concern though is with the personality usually associated with those in the darker arts. Studying the Shadow doesn't require one to be selfish or evil, does it? Shadow, darkness, and death are not necessarily evil subjects. No more so than fire, ice, or the arcane in general are, at least.
    Actually it is selfish. The Shadow is all about power. Your power. The drive and the need to become stronger and to assert yourself higher than others. That isn't to say it isn't generous as well. But being opposite the Light, it is all about helping yourself to change the world instead of helping others.

    But to answer the original question. I would say you can be sane and not evil. However, I will say they won't be accepted by the Draenei as a whole. While they understand the balance needed in the Shadow and the Light, it doesn't mean they welcome it with-in their own ranks. They are very much zealots in this fact. They have a clear cut definition of what is good and what is evil and the Shadow falls under the latter. They fight for the betterment of the universe and the Shadow fights for the betterment of itself. A Draenei Shadow Priest would be the equivalent to a Demon Hunter. Outcasts of society. Tolerated, not accepted.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    They aren't evil in their own eyes but most people would just naturally consider them evil due to the nature of their power, not to mention most shadow priests NPC wise were worshipers of the old gods.
    It does seem like there's a little more leeway given to Shadow Priests than there is given to Warlocks though. Locks are far more demonized at least.

    And the Auchenai stuff is interesting, but a little bit too much on the crazy side for what I'm aiming at with my concept. I'd like them to simply be a scholar who took up the art to better understand the Naaru and the true nature of the Light rather than a Cultist.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Yeah it's a taboo practice for most. The kind of things done in secret like fel magic and necromancy but not quite as hated. The people that use shadow magic are typically the bad ones so people don't trust it. Also I forgot about Auchindoun and can't remember anything about it off the top of my head. That's something worth looking into.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Auchenai_Crypts, pretty much sets up a Draenei shadow priest, they are on the first to really see a Naaru in void form as well which is a pretty big defining event for a Draenei, "You know those giant, floating crystals that we worship? You know the ones all about the light? Well....."

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 03:19 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    It does seem like there's a little more leeway given to Shadow Priests than there is given to Warlocks though. Locks are far more demonized at least.

    And the Auchenai stuff is interesting, but a little bit too much on the crazy side for what I'm aiming at with my concept. I'd like them to simply be a scholar who took up the art to better understand the Naaru and the true nature of the Light rather than a Cultist.
    I see hmmm, maybe while traveling you learned about the Void form of the Naaru at Auchenai crypts and took to studying in your own hands before having to leave to Azeroth. Also gives your character a little secret to have on why he/she is a shadow priest.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonfictionless View Post
    Actually it is selfish. The Shadow is all about power. Your power. The drive and the need to become stronger and to assert yourself higher than others. That isn't to say it isn't generous as well. But being opposite the Light, it is all about helping yourself to change the world instead of helping others.
    As far as I've seen, those are the views of the Cult of Forgotten Shadow, meaning Forsaken Shadow followers, but not necessarily the views of all Shadow users. Shadow otherwise is simply study of Darkness, Shadow, and Death magic. It sounds like evil magic at first, but it can be used in ways that are decidedly not evil, such as helping calm lost and maddened spirits so that they can go on to the afterlife.

    But to answer the original question. I would say you can be sane and not evil. However, I will say they won't be accepted by the Draenei as a whole. While they understand the balance needed in the Shadow and the Light, it doesn't mean they welcome it with-in their own ranks. They are very much zealots in this fact. They have a clear cut definition of what is good and what is evil and the Shadow falls under the latter. They fight for the betterment of the universe and the Shadow fights for the betterment of itself. A Draenei Shadow Priest would be the equivalent to a Demon Hunter. Outcasts of society. Tolerated, not accepted.
    Again, don't mind being a bit of an outcast. I just don't want to be quite on the level of outcast that, say, a Warlock would be. There's evil, and then there's -evil-. And I have to disagree with you categorizing all Shadow use as following Cult of Forgotten Shadow teachings once again. Demon Hunter level pariah-ism is fine with me.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    Is it though? Is there really no situation in which a Draenei could take up the Shadow while not turning into an evil, raging lunatic
    Not an Exodar Draenei, no. You would be kicked out of the Alliance.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    Not an Exodar Draenei, no. You would be kicked out of the Alliance.
    Considering at sometimes we tolerate warlocks i'm pretty sure a shadow priest will be well off.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Considering at sometimes we tolerate warlocks i'm pretty sure a shadow priest will be well off.
    My Warlock and Velen are best buds. I have to keep him away from my Succubi though...

  18. #18
    Role-player Nonfictionless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    I have to disagree with you categorizing all Shadow use as following Cult of Forgotten Shadow teachings once again.
    In Lore they are, save for the Loa worshiping trolls. However Shadow is not technically a Divine magic and can be used by mages. It is believe to be tied to Arcane. So technically no you don't have to follow the teachings of the Cult.

    But, If you planned to have him be a Shadow Priest, than at one point he had to have been a Priest. He would already understand the balance between the Light and the Shadow. The only logical solution to follow the Shadow, the direct and absolute opposite of the Light, would be the virtues that the Cult preaches.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonfictionless View Post
    In Lore they are, save for the Loa worshiping trolls. However Shadow is not technically a Divine magic and can be used by mages. It is believe to be tied to Arcane. So technically no you don't have to follow the teachings of the Cult.
    I appreciate the perspective, but I have to again disagree with this. I can find nothing outside of the Cult of Forgotten Shadow that teaches their specific self-empowerment emphasis on Shadow. Yes, there are others who have used the Shadow in similar ways, but the same can be said for every other form of magic as well. The accumulation of power is a big motif for magic users of all kind in the Warcraft universe, and there are even Holy Light users who are quite decidedly not using it to help others.

    If you planned to have him be a Shadow Priest, than at one point he had to have been a Priest. He would already understand the balance between the Light and the Shadow. The only logical solution to follow the Shadow, the direct and absolute opposite of the Light, would be the virtues that the Cult preaches.
    Why was the revelation of the nature of the Naaru, as beings of both Light -and- Shadow, such a shock then? Clearly because the balance between Light and Shadow -isn't- as well understood as you think. I think it would then be a very logical decision for a Draenei Priest to pursue this understanding considering their veneration of the Naaru.
    Last edited by Dalkailus; 2012-10-28 at 03:56 AM.

  20. #20
    Role-player Nonfictionless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    I appreciate the perspective, but I have to again disagree with this. I can find nothing outside of the Cult of Forgotten Shadow that teaches their specific self-empowerment emphasis on Shadow. Yes, there are others who have used the Shadow in similar ways, but the same can be said for every other form of magic as well. The accumulation of power is a big motif for magic users of all kind in the Warcraft universe, and there are even Holy Light users who are quite decidedly not using it to help others.
    I don't know of a single one that is not using the Light to decidedly help others. Even the Scarlets have a absolute belief that what they are doing is for the betterment of the world. Without that mindset they would think they are doing something against the Light and it would fail them.

    But let's just say that he doesn't follow the teachings of the Cult. Why would he seek the Shadow? No doubt like other Draenei he was a devote follower of the Light?The Shadow doesn't heal. It is a very specific in the fact that it is a type of magic meant to hurt, but it isn't strong against their (Draenei) main foe, the Legion. You would really need to define his goal for taking up the Shadow for this conversation to go further.


    Quote Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
    Why was the revelation of the nature of the Naaru, as beings of both Light -and- Shadow, such a shock then? Clearly because the balance between Light and Shadow -isn't- as well understood as you think. I think it would then be a very logical decision for a Draenei Priest to pursue this understanding considering their veneration of the Naaru.
    Logical for a member of a race so devoted to stopping the Legion to take up a magic so close to Fel? No. I could see you making an argument for learning about it, but actually using it? Not a chance. Like I said you really would need to define what his purpose for taking up the Shadow would be.

    A naaru's fall into the void represents a catastrophic loss for the naaru and for the forces of the Light, and it is the saddest, most heart-wrenching event for the naaru to witness

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •