Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    So who is small minded and ignorant? Maybe you should overcome your prejudices and broad sweeping generalizations and talk like a civilized human.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 02:48 PM ----------

I have a tin foil hat for you.... there really is nothing else to say about that except you are still being delusional and judgmental.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 02:52 PM ----------

I agree the swedes want to "mix it up" ( sorry video is asinine) and be all equals but yet can't celebrate their country, something that can unite them. It's the most backwards viewpoint i can imagine.
    just cuse ur train of thought don't work the same way as that of Will Hunting doesn't mean that the world isn't, also you disliking a proven fact doesn't undo the fact

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think the vast majority are just looking for something to moan about concerning the immigrants. Like people do with the EU...
    This is accurate. There's been this myth going around for years now that flag-brandishing or singing the national anthem would be outlawed, taboo, prohibited in workplaces or what have you. It is, of course, just a myth on the national scale, fueled by hearsay about isolated cases as well as a desire for people to feel like martyrs trapped in their own country. But as with many other truths, the facts haven't stopped people from wholeheartedly believing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think the vast majority are just looking for something to moan about concerning the immigrants. Like people do with the EU...
    Yeah, looks like half of the SD voters plays wow!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Platon View Post
    just cuse ur train of thought don't work the same way as that of Will Hunting doesn't mean that the world isn't, also you disliking a proven fact doesn't undo the fact
    Pssst. just so you know buddy your disillusion are showing! You made small minded and ignorant assumptions of "the right wing" and called them small minded and ignorant and then spouted some conspiracy theory drivel. Maybe you should realize that your opinion is not fact before telling people how facts work.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Deleted

Not about Sweden, but c'mon Americans...why? ><

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post

Why what?

It's weird how seeing an image of my country's flag can stir feelings of love for my country. Symbols work wonders.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    [IMG]<snip American flag image>

Not really a good question to ask why Americans do it now. They do it because of tradition. If that behavior seems odd to you, the question to ask would be why has American tradition evolved in that way. But that doesn't really matter since it took more than 20 years for it to evolve, and the real modern world didn't start until about 20 years ago. What i mean to say is that countries and traditions evolve differently through history. Europe has had a common history in the last 70 years and doing what that picture depicts might seem weird to us because the possibility of us doing something like that has been indoctrinated out of us as a result of the second world war. There's nothing objectively unacceptable or weird in that picture. Just weird and unacceptable by European standards.

A sign of hope, brotherhood and togetherness over the scene of a disaster... imagine. that.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 01:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Not really a good question to ask why Americans do it now. They do it because of tradition. If that behavior seems odd to you, the question to ask would be why has American tradition evolved in that way. But that doesn't really matter since it took more than 20 years for it to evolve, and the real modern world didn't start until about 20 years ago. What i mean to say is that countries and traditions evolve differently through history. Europe has had a common history in the last 70 years and doing what that picture depicts might seem weird to us because the possibility of us doing something like that has been indoctrinated out of us as a result of the second world war. There's nothing objectively unacceptable or weird in that picture. Just weird and unacceptable by European standards.
    I think for the first time ill agree with you about something lol. You're correct its tradition and while it seems alien to some people from other countries its the norm here, I own 3 or 4 American flags (Going out of business sale at a hardware store) and we burn* them when they get ratty and replace them. Fly my flag most days off the porch, as does most of my street. Its the norm here and always has been. I also own a german flag, I'm mostly German, but don't fly it due to perceived nazism. Thankfully since we moved in a couple of years ago it seems that everyone knows me and realizes I don't want to burn all Jewish people so I've thought about putting it out again at least during Oktoberfest next year.

Anyways I digress ,i wanted to ask you why do you consider it "Unacceptable" for us to fly our flag? Or were you saying that you it is unacceptable for you to fly flags in your countries?

*Burning flags, properly, is the right way to dispose of a damaged flag and not just a way to protest. There is a certain ceremony involved and only certain groups do it, government groups, veterans groups and scouting organizations.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    Anyways I digress ,i wanted to ask you why do you consider it "Unacceptable" for us to fly our flag? Or were you saying that you it is unacceptable for you to fly flags in your countries?
    As i said, i meant unacceptable by European standards. Unacceptable, though, might not be the right word here. It's just not something we could perceive of. Flags and symbols of our countries mean very little to us (compared to you), especially in situations that are only about domestic issues, such as what's happening in that picture. Flags don't act as moral boosters to us. They only do when it comes to football and wars.

Generally, flying a flag on any normal day is simply something people here don't consider to be normal or part of the social norms. And i'm glad it's that way. As i've said earlier in this thread, whenever someone hoists their flag on a non-state holiday, everyone just assumes they're a douche. And that's the social norm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Wait, you only fly your nation's flag on a designated day in Finland?

That seems strange. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of Patriotism in moderation. It creates success and breeds competition.
    Yes, there are only few countries in europe that hang the flag on non designated days. We have a completely different history with patriotism, so we are more skeptical when it comes to openly shown signs of it. You gotta keep that in mind when you say "strange".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    As i said, i meant unacceptable by European standards. Unacceptable, though, might not be the right word here. It's just not something we could perceive of. Flags and symbols of our countries mean very little to us (compared to you), especially in situations that are only about domestic issues, such as what's happening in that picture. Flags don't act as moral boosters to us. They only do when it comes to football and wars.

Generally, flying a flag on any normal day is simply something people here don't consider to be normal or part of the social norms. And i'm glad it's that way. As i've said earlier in this thread, whenever someone hoists their flag on a non-state holiday, everyone just assumes they're a douche. And that's the social norm.
    Yeah, it's just not that way at all here. Especially in Houston even moreso than San Jose, CA (though you still see it plenty there), you can't hardly take a step in any direction without seeing an American flag or a Texas flag.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!