Poll: Would you like this system implemented?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    There's no point in inconveniencing 100% of the player base that pvp's b/c a small % of them sometimes get bots. I've played several years and rarely seen any botters, and when i have i deal with it or leave. People complain pvp is dead now imagine having to authenticate every bg you enter, no thanks. Also to dispute your assumption that im against it b/c im a botter, nope...im against it because it's just not needed.
    You realize that small % of them do, themselves, inconvenience 100% of the (BG-ing) player base, right?

Never the less, no matter what sort of 'verification' and inhibitors you can create, people will create work-arounds. :shrugs: *That* is the reason not to bother. It may be effective for a time, but it won't last forever. :shrugs again:

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Totally correct - however the problem lies with the compatability of the 64bit client.
    A massive portion (70-80%) of the people that own PC's are still using a 32bit OS.

Also a funny note about bots ;
    Most do not work with DX11

Also a funny note about players ;
    There are many that have graphics card that does not support DX11.

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problems with systems like this is that they don't work.
    What blizzard should do is:

Create a report this players as a bot. When somebody gets reported as a bot, they get a popup with a simple question with 3 answers.
    You then simply have to answer the question correctly (and then for the rest of the BG you cannot be flagged as a bot again). You get two tries to answer it correctly and if its wrong twice (or you don't answer within 30 seconds each time) you simply get kicked out of the bg and get a strict punishment in the form of not being able to do another BG for 60 minutes.

Deleted
    ^The problem with these kind of "solutions" is that they would only be terribly abused.

Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post
    The biggest problems with systems like this is that they don't work.
    What blizzard should do is:

Create a report this players as a bot. When somebody gets reported as a bot, they get a popup with a simple question with 3 answers.
    You then simply have to answer the question correctly (and then for the rest of the BG you cannot be flagged as a bot again). You get two tries to answer it correctly and if its wrong twice (or you don't answer within 30 seconds each time) you simply get kicked out of the bg and get a strict punishment in the form of not being able to do another BG for 60 minutes.
    This is almost exactly the same as the "system" the OP "made".
    Questions do not work against bots, maybe they did 10-15 years ago but not anymore.
    Anything that requires you to input data is EASILY EASILY EASILY countered by a bot.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2012-10-28 at 11:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You really want to get rid of bots? Get rid of click to move.
    Yeah, with that you'll only get rid of the bots that play better than some humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    This is almost exactly the same as the "system" the OP "made".
    Questions do not work against bots, maybe they did 10-15 years ago but not anymore.
    Anything that requires you to input data is EASILY EASILY EASILY countered by a bot.
    Depends really on the questions.

For the rest they dont work but otherwise there are almost no systems that will work. You could look for patterns but that is incredibly difficult in a game like wow (its not preventing spam bots on websites which is already difficult but doable).

The biggest problem will stay unless they change the way they detect bots or offer additional filters there is no way to detect bots.
    You can search for programs but thats rather pointless to. Bot programs come and go and staying up to date with all of them simply is to resource intensive.

So to get rid of bot programs.. would almost mean a gm in every bg (which would be the only system that is effective) but again cost way way way way way to much to implement.

A bot can easily solve what you are suggesting with small modifications. CAPTCHA can work better, but is not guaranteed to be 100% functional either. What is needed is Blizzard being more active in stopping the bots, I know they are working hard to break the botting software and probably a ban-wave, but that's too little too late imho.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if looking for APM patterns would be an option.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Captchas to enter BGs.
    Or you know, just implement a vote to kick system where players can flag others as bots at lower levels, players tagged as bots because they sit at the entrance to Frostwolf Cavern or whatever would forfeit all honor and experience rewards from the match if they are unable to respond to action requests from the server. Or they could just eliminate experience from BG's, that solves the problem and removes the possibility of bots farming experience while not participating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Or you know, just implement a vote to kick system where players can flag others as bots at lower levels, players tagged as bots because they sit at the entrance to Frostwolf Cavern or whatever would forfeit all honor and experience rewards from the match if they are unable to respond to action requests from the server. Or they could just eliminate experience from BG's, that solves the problem and removes the possibility of bots farming experience while not participating.
    The reason experience from bgs was introduced in the first place was to kill twinks, so no on the last suggestion.

As many have stated, no system is foolproof, but user-required interaction like captchas and role checks would at least make botting more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

All this would do is inconvinience everyone with no effect really on botters. Botters would just script an alarm bell to wake them up whatever when this pops up on their screen type it in and walk away again.

When i do bgs at nighttime theres sometimes over 70-80% of the teams played by bots, but tbh most of the time you win more easily when theres bots on your team because they just zerg everyone, maybe its just me but i prefer that compared to casuals playing in greens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Captchas to enter BGs.

Captchas are a horrible inconvenience for real people - most are incredibly difficult to read. I know that's the point but it also is why I voted no - a huge inconvenience to honest people that just want to play. The problem can be resolved by Blizzard having a bunch of people randomly join various BG's to check for bots. Not even as a visible player, but in GM style where we can't see them but they can see us. Then they could "finger of God" the mofo's and perma-ban their account with a bit of luck.

Blizzard are currently relying solely on the reporting system (which is a very welcome addition) but until they start getting GM's or something to randomly "police" bg's and even prime farming area's, the bot plague will probably continue.

A common argument I see is people saying "no gold buyers, no bots" - this is untrue. There are normal players who enlist bot services to level up their toon's for anything from gear to rank because they cannot give the amount of time required due to RL or whatever. Point is - it's a little more complex than simply "gold buyers = bot demand" (albeit somewhat of a similar vein).
    Last edited by Goosebump; 2012-10-28 at 01:22 PM.

I'm not a fan. Your idea would catch the overnight/while I'm at work botters but at an inconvenience to every wow player. Your idea is also incredibly immersion breaking which is a concern for the few people who still roleplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaktor View Post
    Your idea is also incredibly immersion breaking which is a concern for the few people who still roleplay.
    Don't queue for PvP while you roleplay, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

But there is a simple solution in my opinion. It would probably be very unfavorable for some people, but say limiting amout of bgs you can do would turn the risk/gain ratio around. Implement another way of getting honor and keeping it fun, and put BGs on 2/2hours limit. Way I see it they could implement a 1v1 arena, perhaps with simple goals and a time limit too. Would sure be imbalanced, but generally speaking you should always be 50/50 if you know what to do. Bot would for obvious reasons be useless there.

10+ Year Old Account
    seeing the morons in LFR, i dont think half of them would be able to log in then sorry, had to say that :P
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post

*Enters Battleground*

Once you enter one button, the keys randomly swap around and appear like this in different locations.

So, you click number 1 and progress to the next number in the required code.
    If I understand you right,

A player has to go to a location, to get the number, to be eligible for the rewards of the bg,

This is designed to stop botters in pvp,

The outcome, it stops botters, but It stops pvp because people are only intrested in find the code at each location

And this also encourages the opposite faction to camp these locations, why? because you can stop honor and exp in a bg, but you can't stop a HK, youd have groups farming these spots right up to 250k achi, then some more just for the lols,

I do agree something needs to be done, but stopping during a bg to enter three(?) different numbers from different location isnt going to work
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate