Thread: Good headphones

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Good headphones

Hi, just wondering what some good headphones are, I have a NZ$300 budget and I wanted to get beats but everyone has told me they are bad. Looking for an over ear type of headphone
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dachoson1; 2012-10-28 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Additional information

10+ Year Old Account
    The new apple earpods are pretty badass. Im a firm believe in you get what you pay for, so with a budget of 300 for headphones, I say you get the best of the best. If you seem skeptical about a certain products, read many reviews, in your case would be the beats headphones. Just read a bunch of reviews online man and go by that.
    Call me House.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reviews I have read on beats have mostly been bad, and the over ear ones are about $200 above my budget

Deleted
    Beats are bad. As are Skullcandy, Monster, Urbanears, etc.

Depending on your preferences entirely, I'd probably recommend something along the lines of a pair of Sennheiser HD598, HD650, AKG K 601, DT 770 or even ATH-AD700 (cheaper) along with a good USB DAC and headphone AMP combo (e.g. the Fiio E10).

But, what will you use them for? What music do you enjoy? Do you like flat sound, or a coloured? Heavy bass?

I have a pair of beats, and they perform just as well as any other headset in their price range, atleast that's my opinion

Deleted
    check AKG else they got some pretty good high end stuff aswell

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mostly listen to hip hop, rap, dubstep, techno sorta stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't spend more than $100 unless you're going to blow your entire budget in a single go. You're not likely to notice a significant increase in quality from a well-chosen $80-100 pair of headphones until you're right up around the $300 mark.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...et-headphones/

This is a good article for sub-$100 headphones.

Happy hunting!

10+ Year Old Account
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Dachoson1 View Post
    I mostly listen to hip hop, rap, dubstep, techno sorta stuff.
    Forget all of the above. Considering the bassy music that you're listening to, get a pair of Takstar Hi 2050's. They're not far off Beyerdynamic DT 880s for quality and have a huge amount of bass as well as a large soundstage, that most audiophile headphones tend to neglect. Plus they're about a third of your budget.

Takstar 2050s on Ebay

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite headphones are by Audio-Technica, personally. Some of their headphones are in a decent price range, and have very good quality.

Do note, however, that a lot of their stuff is professional, studio equipment. They do, however, have very good consumer headphones as well. Very good quality, and they're not as over-priced as a lot of other headphones. Their drivers and such are also very high-quality.

http://shopaudiotechnica.com/category/headphones
    Last edited by Static Transit; 2012-10-28 at 05:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mape1992 View Post
    I have a pair of beats, and they perform just as well as any other headset in their price range, atleast that's my opinion
    Burn.

I'd recommend decent brands like Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica,..
    I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mape1992 View Post
    Beats are $50 headphones with a $250 brand name attached. They are no where near the best for the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beats are a giant waste of money, I know a guy who has like every pair they make of beats... just stupid.
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Forget all of the above. Considering the bassy music that you're listening to, get a pair of Takstar Hi 2050's. They're not far off Beyerdynamic DT 880s for quality and have a huge amount of bass as well as a large soundstage, that most audiophile headphones tend to neglect. Plus they're about a third of your budget.

Takstar 2050s on Ebay
    This. The only reason you have to not get them is because you dont want to buy from ebay.

Edit: Well, you probably could get K550s, but the price/performance will be much lower.
    Last edited by Keller; 2012-10-28 at 11:03 PM.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post

Takstar 2050s on Ebay
    Audiophile headphones don't neglect overdone bass. They do bass correctly. As far as soundstage, there you've lost me. My Sennheiser HD800s have easily the best soundstage I've ever heard (and I've heard over 100 different headphones ranging up to $15,000 a pair).

Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
    Audiophile headphones don't neglect overdone bass. They do bass correctly. As far as soundstage, there you've lost me. My Sennheiser HD800s have easily the best soundstage I've ever heard (and I've heard over 100 different headphones ranging up to $15,000 a pair).
    Pretty sure he means headphones that we're discussing in this thread. A lot of headphones DO actually neglect it,(Grados, most closed 'phones, etc) this is not a discussion about the HD800. the HD800 costs about 1500$ new and you cant really say that it falls into the category of headphones we're talking about. ( up to 300NZD )
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
    As I said, *most* audiophile headphones do. For example, the AD 700s, the DT880s and a lot of Sennheiser's other sets. And considering the HD800s are worth about $1300+, I'd expect them to actually have a huge soundstage, epic highs, perfects mids and powerful bass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use AKG k240 mkII headphones myself, since I edit sound and such. I like them a lot and have used them 100% of the time for anything I do on the computer that is sound related in any way.