Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Ask three EU members anything.

Tomorrow, Monday the 29th, three members of the European Union is coming to visit my school in Denmark. We have the chance to ask them as many questions as we want to. So if you have any questions (can by anything relevant to EU) you can ask them here, and I will answer them tomorrow.

how much is sweden paying per citizen per year?

Ask how they feel about winning the Nobel Prize for Peace and what they plan to continue to do on that subject of peace.

Deleted
    Ask them why the hell the UK should be forced to allow prisoners the vote.

Why are treaties negotiated in complete secrecy, even though there is significant public interest in knowing that these treaties are being written before they have been ratified by the national government, and are there plans for a extensive Europe-wide Freedom of Information Act?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Ask them why the hell the UK should be forced to allow prisoners the vote.
    Because the right to vote is an essential part of a democracy and therefor shouldn't be an alienable right. Unless, of course, if the person is exiled. But, prisoners aren't exiles.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ellefar View Post
    Tomorrow, Monday the 29th, three members of the European Union is coming to visit my school in Denmark. We have the chance to ask them as many questions as we want to. So if you have any questions (can by anything relevant to EU) you can ask them here, and I will answer them tomorrow.
    Ask them if there's any prospect for a confederation and a stronger union.

Are they going to kick that worthless leech Greece out?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Because the right to vote is an essential part of a democracy and therefor shouldn't be an alienable right. Unless, of course, if the person is exiled. But, prisoners aren't exiles.

What are the consequences for the UK if they do not agree to prisoners having the right to vote? I personally don't care about the issue if i'm honest.

"Which one of you three makes the most money?"

Why is America the strongest nation in the world? How come your nations don't step it up and get on our level?

Deleted
    Because the right to vote is an essential part of a democracy and therefor shouldn't be an alienable right. Unless, of course, if the person is exiled. But, prisoners aren't exiles
    Imo when you cause harm to your society, you should have no say in how that society runs until you have paid your debt to it.

Deleted
    Perhaps you could ask them if there's discussions about similar proposals such as ACTA (trust me, it isn't over yet), if there's any way to to stop internet regulations or perhaps how much they value the citizens privacy on the internet.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ask what they would do if the UK left the EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Why is America the strongest nation in the world? How come your nations don't step it up and get on our level?
    Because each country in the EU has their own laws, and a strong military doesn't equal a good country to live in

Deleted

Ask them if there's any prospect for a confederation and a stronger union.
    So people that steal, destroy and seek to destabilize an economy and Government should have a say in how it is run? They can vote when they have served their time and done their punishment, this is the fairest way.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Break the USA down by state then compare those to the individual nation states of the EU before coming out with a statement like yours.

Deleted
    Because the right to vote is an essential part of a democracy and therefor shouldn't be an alienable right. Unless, of course, if the person is exiled. But, prisoners aren't exiles.[COLOR="red"]
    We remove the right to freedom in making them prisoners but not the right to vote?

Whichever argument you chose it's not about a persons rights despite their status, it's about the fact that in order to punish a criminal we remove rights from them as a part of the punishment. Each new opinion about rights and prisoners gives them back what we take from them removing the whole point of them being prisoners.

All that will be left will be freedom, and then it won't be a prison, it will be a mandatory holiday camp with better conditions than some people stuck outside.

Not that it isn't pretty much that way already of course.....

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Ask what they would do if the UK left the EU
    Most of the UK would break out the bent bananas and fatty sausages. Honestly what have the EU ever done for us (except the romans, they're all right they are ) ?
    Last edited by mmoc150ef56254; 2012-10-28 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    Ask them why the EU has authorised an above inflation increase to its budget when everybody else is fucked.

Deleted
    Ask them if there's any plans for more transparency in how some parts of the Union work.

Also ask what does the EU plan to do with countries where simply throwing money (like Romania or Bulgaria or even Greece) doesn't really work in improving the standard of life of people because of high corruption everywhere in the leadership?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this thread is off to a good start.
    I'd ask them how they think the EU helps the average citizen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Most of the UK would break out the bent bananas and fatty sausages.
    You know these are myths right?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    We remove the right to freedom in making them prisoners but not the right to vote?

Whichever argument you chose it's not about a persons rights despite their status, it's about the fact that in order to punish a criminal we remove rights from them as a part of the punishment. Each new opinion about rights and prisoners gives them back what we take from them removing the whole point of them being prisoners.
    We put them in prisons to protect society from them, not to punish. We don't give inmates a daily beating, or put them in hung up cages at the plaza to punish or shame them. It'd be easier to simply chop their hands off than to spend so much taxes on housing, feeding and caring for inmates (guards, fascilities, etc). I'd expect you could argue that they are indeed punished when put in prisons, since their right to vote is revoked. But honestly, I'd wager the right to vote was revoked because some guys somewhere thought prison was a punishment in the first place. I googled but I came up short.

As I see it, there are two schools of logic when it comes to how to treat inmates. One is the restorative, focusing on rehabilitation, where you try to educate and make the individual fit to reenter society. The other one focuses on punishing, where those watching the punishment feels better, or think that because they were physically punished and turned out alright it must be the same for the inmates (note: if you turned out alright you wouldn't feel the need to pass on the violence).

One of them cares for, and helps the inmate. The other one not so much.