Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Ask them why the hell the UK should be forced to allow prisoners the vote.
    It is so as not to give an incentive for a ruling government to send people to prison in order to help them retain power. Although I would tend to agree that murderers, rapists etc do not deserve the right to vote, withholding that right creates the temptation for a government to send opposition voters to prison on false charges.

Since it's a prerequisite for countries in the EU to be in the EU to have good LGBT protections, why are there still some outlying eastern European countries that seem to be having abuses of LGBT peoples but are still allowed in the EU?
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    It is so as not to give an incentive for a ruling government to send people to prison in order to help them retain power. Although I would tend to agree that murderers, rapists etc do not deserve the right to vote, withholding that right creates the temptation for a government to send opposition voters to prison on false charges.
    Which is a load of crap, the current set of politicians wouldn't do that in the UK. I'm more afraid of prisoners voting for some crappy liberal who will free them all and make life worse here than some sort of right wing dictator party.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Dont expect to get any real answers to the questions in this thread
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be suprised to not see scripted questions passed out by their pr reps before they arrive, politicians of any kind will avoid whenever possible engaging anybody that shows a keen intellect, this includes those still in education

On the flipside they might actually respond to the question but simply throw out a load of babble to sidestep giving the real answer

I would of personally asked how they could justify their rediculous expenses/salaries while everybody else is tightening their belts / facing redundancies and widespread public cuts... but then this is the sort of thing you might be discouraged from asking, or frowned apon for actually managing to ask

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Which is a load of crap, the current set of politicians wouldn't do that in the UK. I'm more afraid of prisoners voting for some crappy liberal who will free them all and make life worse here than some sort of right wing dictator party.
    You find it difficult to understand because you have never lived under the rule of a tyrannical government. You may think your country is safe from such a government in spite of it never having given prisoners the right to vote. But the road to tyranny is paved with small issues like this one.

And I think your fears are largely unfounded. If the number of people in prisons ever reached sufficient proportions that their vote became significant enough to affect such an issue, it would be indicative of a serious problem in your country which in and of itself would justify giving prisoners the right to vote in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Since it's a prerequisite for countries in the EU to be in the EU to have good LGBT protections, why are there still some outlying eastern European countries that seem to be having abuses of LGBT peoples but are still allowed in the EU?
    First of all, Romania is the only Eastern European country in the EU, and second, there is absolutely no prerequisite to entering the EU that concerns LGBT issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellefar View Post
    Tomorrow, Monday the 29th, three members of the European Union is coming to visit my school in Denmark. We have the chance to ask them as many questions as we want to. So if you have any questions (can by anything relevant to EU) you can ask them here, and I will answer them tomorrow.
    Being from Denmark (but not living there anymore) you might want to ask why union monthly fee isn't being brought down in line with the new unemployment period!

It used to be up to 4 years you could be on unemployment on a union, and it used to be that unions would support a large amount of a fee for further education / courses that unemployed people could attend, neither is there any more and the period you can be unemployed for before losing your union unemployment benefit is now down to 2 years (Talking about bring it further down), yet the monthly fee you pay to every single union in Denmark is the same or have gone up.

Speak slowly and confidently and ask them "Would you consider inviting North Korea into the EU in the next 3 years?" and then pull the biggest troll face youve ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Oh yes this. I'd like to ask the same question but about invitro and abortion regulations. Believe it or not but there are still countries in EU that have it unsorted or plan to even ban it like Poland.