Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

World of Warcraft Wealth Survey 2012

The World of Warcraft Wealth Survey 2012 has now concluded and the report has been published!

Report: World of Warcraft Wealth Survey 2012

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to fill out the survey, this project would not be possible without help from the World of Warcraft community!

Here's the tl;dr version:
    • Average player gold was 302,593
    • Median player gold was 80,000
    • 81.63% of players survey reported bloew average gold levels
    • "The 99%" owns 74.18% of the gold

----
    Hello everyone,

Some of you might remember last year I ran a World of Warcraft Wealth Survey which turned out to be successful that I decided to do it again this year. This year not only will the survey be gauging player wealth but it will provide the second data point to start tracking inflation hopefully.

The survey is completely anonymous, not even your IP will be tracked, so you can feel safe answering all the questions as honestly as possible (there are some questions about botting that might normally give people pause). I ask everyone who takes the survey to answer as truthfully as possible, nothing is to be gained by lying about anything on the survey.

The survey can be found again at http://xsinthis.net/survey/ and more information can be found at Announcing the World of Warcraft Wealth Survey and World of Warcraft

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to complete the survey.

EDIT: I'd like to emphasize it's a very short quiz, it only has 5 questions and should only take a minute or two out of your day
    Last edited by Xsinthis; 2012-11-12 at 07:03 PM.

Participated and look forward to the results.

Done. I found the question previous to the last one funny :P

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also participated, and enjoyed looking over what you wrote for 2011.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

done and done.
    same as soulwind lol :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Done. I found the question previous to the last one funny :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    done and done.
    same as soulwind lol :3
    About gold selling o.O ?

And thanks to everyone that's participated so far!

Deleted
    The last one (botting, gold selling/buying) maybe should have a "Tried it once" option too because for some "Never" is untrue but "Couple times a year" is not true either.

Done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    The last one (botting, gold selling/buying) maybe should have a "Tried it once" option too because for some "Never" is untrue but "Couple times a year" is not true either.

Done.
    Hmmm good point. Unfortunately it's too late to change now, I shall keep a note for next year though!

This is pretty meaningless, I'd say 2/3 of my wealth is in inventory, which you aren't counting. Most people I know who are relatively wealth would likely say the same surely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done and poor xD

Finished, very interesting survey.

Deleted
    I've completed it, although as above, whilst I have a lot of gold, I have a LOT more value in investments in banks full of inventory stock but I just put down my actual gold figure.

Survey taken! Looking forwards to the results.

Deleted
    i think there should be what is yuor inventory value too, as i have only like 16k now but have stacked up almost 1mil woerth of stuff that im gonna sell in few weeks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    This is pretty meaningless, I'd say 2/3 of my wealth is in inventory, which you aren't counting. Most people I know who are relatively wealth would likely say the same surely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I've completed it, although as above, whilst I have a lot of gold, I have a LOT more value in investments in banks full of inventory stock but I just put down my actual gold figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by umppa View Post
    i think there should be what is yuor inventory value too, as i have only like 16k now but have stacked up almost 1mil woerth of stuff that im gonna sell in few weeks
    I realize this is a flaw in the survey but I decided last year to do it this way for 2 main reasons
    1.) For the more casuals, and even more dedicated players, accounting for inventory is a tricky business. Just asking for raw gold values greatly simplifies the process and gets better results since it's clearly defined what I want
    2.) What something is worth does you no good unless you can sell it, I'm trying to target how much gold people actually have. Even when you sell it it has to come out of someone else's pockets you know? Minor point to the above reason but still a good one

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds Interresting, going to fill out some data
    Druid since Feb. 06

10+ Year Old Account
    Gief some results, please :-)

Remember, according to Blue, "The percentage of players that has over 50k gold is incredibly small." --> http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...-be-increased/

Quote Originally Posted by Xsinthis View Post
    I realize this is a flaw in the survey but I decided last year to do it this way for 2 main reasons
    1.) For the more casuals, and even more dedicated players, accounting for inventory is a tricky business. Just asking for raw gold values greatly simplifies the process and gets better results since it's clearly defined what I want
    2.) What something is worth does you no good unless you can sell it, I'm trying to target how much gold people actually have. Even when you sell it it has to come out of someone else's pockets you know? Minor point to the above reason but still a good one
    Fair enough, but from my perspective I tend keep around about the same liquid and then always be using and/or storing the rest, hence my response is basically the same as it was in Cata, which is going to hurt accuracy in terms of tracking inflation and so on. I probably increased my wealth 5 fold in Cata, but that's not really reflect in my answer compared to last time and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done! was pretty easy so help him out guys