Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Are the 7970 series bad video cards?

I recently purchased an XFX 7970 DD Black Edition video card.

Right out of the box, this card has issues with randomly causing my computer to crash while playing WoW. (Either a colored screen with a bunch of vertical lines, or just a screen freeze in which it loops the last sound that had been played).

Originally I thought it was my RAM, but I narrowed that out with a RAM check, then I turned to drivers, but no drivers I had tried (Either 12.11 beta or rolling back) seemed to resolve the issue.

I finally decided to RMA the card, but after some more research it appears that this is a common issue with these cards. Is it more worth it for me to simply buy a GTX 800 rather than invest my money in another 7970 only to discover this issue persists?

both me and my house mate have 7970s... himself, like you the XFX one, and myself Asus. I have had zero issues with it, neither has my house mate.

In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    The 7970 series is not a bad group of cards, you might have just gotten a particularly poor one.

RMA is the best choice here. It was probably just a faulty card, which happens with electronics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Jalfrezi View Post
    both me and my house mate have 7970s... himself, like you the XFX one, and myself Asus. I have had zero issues with it, neither has my house mate.
    Okay, that's great to hear. After my research I was afraid it was a driver issue and that a new card wouldn't resolve anything. There's a good chance I was just sent a bad card then.

I've heard many times about people having issues with XFX branded cards. Supposedly, they're known for cutting corners by using cheaper components.

The 7970 and other ATI products are not the issue.
    “All statements within these quotation marks are untrue.”

Dont know about specifics, but the more recent drivers have been causing problems mainly the 12.10 and 12.11 beta, try 12.9 or something a bit behind because that worked for me and my 7770 and for another poster around the forum.

I was looking into getting a sapphire one this time around as I RMA'd it back to Newegg. Considering this one now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e%207970%20ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    I was looking into getting a sapphire one this time around as I RMA'd it back to Newegg. Considering this one now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e%207970%20ghz
    I think thats the same one I was gonna get...

But went with Asus 7970 DirectCU II instead

Considering the turn over rate between generations, it doesn't surprise me that people wind up with defective graphics cards. The 7970 is a great card, and I am currently on my 3rd AMD card since I started doing my own custom builds and I have never had any performance issues with the cards, just things like loud and squeaking fans like my 6870 had, but never defective products. AMD make great cards at a good price and most of the non reference cooler manufacturers all have very high quality products. XFX has some of the best warranty service in the business too, so getting a replacement should not be an issue.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 05:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    Can't go wrong with Sapphire Tech cards in my opinion. I have a Dual X 7850 and it's fantastic. The fans are quieter and move more air then the Twin Frozr 6870 I used to use. I plan on getting my hands on a couple of Sapphire cards when the 8850 comes out

Sounds like defective card...i suggest you bring it back to shop and replace. Kinda happened same with me with other video card.

Have been hearing from many people that the most recent drivers are causing crashes with WoW (and in general? unsure about that).
    Redsparowe#2548 <Crayola Inc>, Lightbringer EU

The Asus 7970 Matrix is just simply the best card :P

There's even a button on the pcb that you can increase your gpu voltage or reduce the voltage which is far more accurate than software tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    The Asus 7970 Matrix is just simply the best card :P

There's even a button on the pcb that you can increase your gpu voltage or reduce the voltage which is far more accurate than software tuning.
    If they work
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

My kid brother works at a computer shop in Amsterdam and he said they RMA AMD cards 3 times more than nvidia cards. After having heard that piece of info, I personally went for Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    My kid brother works at a computer shop in Amsterdam and he said they RMA AMD cards 3 times more than nvidia cards. After having heard that piece of info, I personally went for Nvidia.
    Ever considered they sell about 3 times as many cards as Nvidia due to price-performance ratio?

AMD cards are as good as Nvidia, this is a silly discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Ever considered they sell about 3 times as many cards as Nvidia due to price-performance ratio?

AMD cards are as good as Nvidia, this is a silly discussion.
    I'm sure they do, although I'd love to see some actual numbers to back that up. As for the sales at the shop he works he just told me they sell twice as much Nvidia cards. Admittedly they also advise clients to go for Nvidia provided they're 'in dubio'.

My main issue with Nvidia is that I find AMD to be generally more stable driver-wise, paired with better stock performance.

I'm sure they do, although I'd love to see some actual numbers to back that up. As for the sales at the shop he works he just told me they sell twice as much Nvidia cards. Admittedly they also advise clients to go for Nvidia provided they're 'in dubio'.
    Well yeah, if they are pushing the nVidia cards, they're going to sell more of them.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

I'd say just a bad 7970. My Sapphire 6970 had the same issue with the lines. Had to RMA it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    Have been hearing from many people that the most recent drivers are causing crashes with WoW (and in general? unsure about that).
    Dunno about game crashes, I have not had any issues with games crashing on the 12.10 version of the Catalyst Control Center.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 09:10 PM ----------

AMD cards are cheaper, and they both sell and produce more of them then Nvidia does. There is always an excess stock of cards, even when a new generation launches, in order to meet customer demand. AMD cards are more popular in pre-built as well as lower budget custom rigs and they perform every bit as well as Nvidia at a fraction of the price. Odds are higher AMD RMA rates are due to the higher popularity and common use of their products. Personally, I have never had an issue with any of mine.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-10-30 at 01:11 AM.