10+ Year Old Account

icewind dale fps drop

im looking for someone who knows how to solve the fps drop in icewind dale when casting spells, especially aoe.
    im not even mentioning graphical bugs with the warfog etc. it doesnt have much impact on my gameplay, but the fps drop to like 5 is just terrible. i cant play like that.

i have windows vista nvidia geforce 9500 gt 512mb

thanks in advance

Deleted
    Icewind Dale, that game that has a bunch of years already?

How the hell do your fps drop? XD

Oh, same problem here. Big fps drops in all games on Infinity engine - IWD 1, 2, BG 1, 2. Games are quite old, but they run worse than when I was running them on my older PC over 10 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes indeed this applies to all games based on infinity engine. any solution ??

How are you running it? On one of those emulator box thingies, on Windows 7? Are you running it in compatability mode?

I don't have the game installed myself but maybe these things would make a difference. It's worth playing with.

10+ Year Old Account
    why would i run it on some emulator if its a pc game ? compatibility modes dont solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Icewind Dale, that game that has a bunch of years already?

How the hell do your fps drop? XD
    Well, different times, different tech and programs built differently to accomodate it. Something that would come quite clear for anyone who stopped for a single second to actually think about stuff.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Khatolic, you'd run it on an emulater because windows today is quite different from windows when the game was released. Many old windows games use DOS in a way that modern versions of the OS can have trouble doing quickly, since DOS isn't a background application etc. I don't know the full way it works, just that it can make stuff work in very silly ways.

I've had one or two spots of framerate drop in BG1, in some ruins with a few ghosts, but nothing overwhelming. If it's really bad, then I'd suggest doing a search on DirectDraw Infinity Engine and see if any of those various fixes work. I've not attempted any of them, so I cannot verify what works and what does not work.

I do know that I had run into a number of issues with Planescape: Torment, like only playing the walk to the right animation even when walking to the left (who knew you were a Moonwalker), and ended up using a 3rd party program that only works in windowed mode, but that was over a year ago.

Deleted
    If I rember correctly there is a button called gpu-acceleration in the options before you start the game... you have to activate it manually, otherwise your gpu won't do anything (only the CPU) and that is the reason why you have fps issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    If I rember correctly there is a button called gpu-acceleration in the options before you start the game... you have to activate it manually, otherwise your gpu won't do anything (only the CPU) and that is the reason why you have fps issues.
    in the iwd config window in the graphics tab i checked use 3D OpenGL accelaration and it solved all problems, with the fog and whats most important with the fps drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    now im playing through icewind dale 2, but unfortunately there is no OpenGL option in graphics tab to check.

this leaves me with terrible fps drops in iwd2, again :S

any solution for this ?

Deleted
    I have no idea what the problem could be. But, if you're not against modding, you could look at some links in the sticky posts here, or a direct link for IWD2 here. The mods vary, some are just qol (e.g. unlimited ammo stacks), some change the balance, but there are also HD mods for infinity engine games which may be able to fix your problems.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Or wait a month or two, as there's coming a Icewind Dale HD version on steam soon enough.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

http://www.gog.com/forum/icewind_dal...ind_dale_1_lag

2nd post has 2 two fixes. I know you are on IWD2 now, but I would think that this would fix the issues in that game as well.