Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Those benchmarks in WoW are done using a flightpath in Twilight Highlands, as it is a relatively static environment, making the fly-throughs comparable.

Deleted
    just when you think you've seen enough shit this pops up
    how does one compare a mid range card from a generation ago to a current top tier model and claim such a performance differance?
    and really claiming a cpu overclocked to 4ghz gives no extra performance?
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-10-30 at 05:39 PM.

Its pretty obvious from the first post that the OP is an idiot.

Infracted.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-30 at 09:42 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The OP is a moron because no matter what scenario or environment in WoW, a 7970 is going to blow a 560 Ti out the door with a double barrel shotgun. No proper logic to back up claims and refutes the evidence of all benchmark tests of cards running WoW, clearly someone is just a pathetic troll trying to start a flame war. There is nothing the 560 Ti can beat out a high end graphics card in, and it would probably take 3 of them to beat out a single Ghz Edition 7970. The freaking card only has 1GB of VRAM, it's gonna run like crap at 1920x1080 resolution.

Infracted.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-30 at 09:20 PM.

Unless you have modified textures or a high resolution texture pack we don't know of, 1GiB is still plenty for 1920x1080.

Alright ladies and gents, if you can't post nicely, don't post at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The OP is a moron because no matter what scenario or environment in WoW, a 7970 is going to blow a 560 Ti out the door with a double barrel shotgun. No proper logic to back up claims and refutes the evidence of all benchmark tests of cards running WoW, clearly someone is just a pathetic troll trying to start a flame war. There is nothing the 560 Ti can beat out a high end graphics card in, and it would probably take 3 of them to beat out a single Ghz Edition 7970. The freaking card only has 1GB of VRAM, it's gonna run like crap at 1920x1080 resolution.

Infracted.
    Like I said in the OP, i didn't want this thread to start a flame war or stir up debates between nvidia and amd fanboys. I've owned amd cards up until now.

Last week Saturday i took out my 7970 so i can sell it because I was very unhappy with the low fps at 8x multisampling (20-25fps in Org). In Pandaria it would drop as low as 15-18fps in some zones. That to me is unacceptable fps.

So i decided to sell my 7970 and use my 560 ti until I could buy a gtx 680.

I was surprised to see that the 560 ti performed better in wow than my 7970 (40-55fps in org with 8x multisampling).

There's a problem with 7970's (i doubt it's just me/just my card) and multisampling past 2x in wow.

I'd like for someone who has a 7970 and a spare nvidia card (5xx series) to test this out on Blackrock.

Again, I'm not stating the 560 ti is better (i know it's not) but i'm just surprised that it can handle wow much better. I was expecting a lot more from one of the best gpu out there right now (7970).

tetrisgoat - based on my msi afterburner VRAM usage test last week, wow used about 1,200-1,300MB of VRAM while doing the golden lotus dailies. 1920x1080, 1 monitor.

I would say at that resolution and display 1.5GB is good enough. Of course my 7970 had 3GB of vram so that's plenty of vram.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-10-30 at 10:04 PM.

Like I said in the OP, i didn't want this thread to start a flame war or stir up debates between nvidia and amd fanboys. I've owned amd cards up until now.
    You make a thread, call it "ATI vs NVIDIA cards", and say that a 560ti is better than a 7970. What did you expect to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    just when you think you've seen enough shit this pops up
    how does one compare a mid range card from a generation ago to a current top tier model and claim such a performance differance?
    and really claiming a cpu overclocked to 4ghz gives no extra performance?
    I don't believe there's a noticeable performance increase between a 3770k at 4.0Ghz and 4.5Ghz in wow. At 4.5Ghz wow uses about 15% of my cpu.

But I guess I could back down to 4.0Ghz and do some before and after fps screens for the sake of argument.

The focus here is 560 ti vs 7970 in wow. Not so much attention on the cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    I don't believe there's a noticeable performance increase between a 3770k at 4.0Ghz and 4.5Ghz in wow. At 4.5Ghz wow uses about 15% of my cpu.

But I guess I could back down to 4.0Ghz and do some before and after fps screens for the sake of argument.

The focus here is 560 ti vs 7970 in wow. Not so much attention on the cpu.
    I guess you're big wrong there.

http://i.imgur.com/MyRwl.jpg GPU's being load at 99%
    http://i.imgur.com/TI2MY.jpg GPU's only reaching 50% load

Which means that the cpu is bottlenecking there because the game only uses 2 cores effectively. I'm at 5GHz & im pretty sure I'll have less fps than at 3.5GHz

Have my settings everything maximized in the game at 1080p & Ambient occlussion to Max and Texture filtering quality to max & negative lod bias to clamp.

The game starts to use only 2 cores effective in 25m raids or area's where a shitload ppl are hanging around and the overclock is going make to a big difference to feed the card quicker than at 3.5GHz.

Don't ask me why the CPU is being bottlenecked there, ask the developers. Others are having the same issue on this thread http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6205?page=1#10

One there has a 7970.

So I believe that this topic is complety complety complety damn hell pointless to compare AMD vs nvidia in WoW. Same shit as comparing a dead engine in a ford fiesta with a perfect working engine in a bmw M6.
    Last edited by Faithh; 2012-10-30 at 10:32 PM.

Deleted
    There's a problem with 7970's (i doubt it's just me/just my card) and multisampling past 2x in wow.
    My 7970 runs with 8x multisampling on a 1080 screen with zero issues (other options maxed out, except for shadows/liquid. Had liquid on ultra aswell no issues whatsoever.

So it is not affecting all 7970s out there, could be card related or something completely random

So, why was my 7970 getting low fps with 4x and 8x multisampling since MOP was released? And how can a last generation nvidia card perform better at 4x and 8x multisampling than my 7970 in WoW? What's the issue here?

If someone can figure this out that'd be great.

15+ Year Old Account
    So, why was my 7970 getting low fps with 4x and 8x multisampling since MOP was released? And how can a last generation nvidia card perform better at 4x and 8x multisampling than my 7970 in WoW? What's the issue here?

If I had to bet, I'd put money on your driver installation being screwy. There's really no other reason that a 560 would beat a 7970, all other things being the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    If I had to bet, I'd put money on your driver installation being screwy. There's really no other reason that a 560 would beat a 7970, all other things being the same.
    Unfortunately i had catalyst 12.10 drivers installed which are the latest drivers. Same drivers any other 7970 card is using currently (assuming people regularly update their drivers). Also card was not defective and overclocked to 1100 core/1500 mem (stock is 925/1375).

WHAT?

You claim it as a fact that WOW prefers Nvidia over AMD. (Quote post 1 ''As you can see WoW prefers Nvidia cards.'')
    And now you back up your claims by arguing from ignorance? Even after i posted proof that a 7970 does NOT drop towards 15 FPS (as you claimed in the original post).

You provide no proof for your claims. You shift the burden of proof, asking ME to disprove YOUR claim (read quote bellow). You argue from ignorance, just because YOU are getting low fps with 4/8x multisampling does not mean that no 7970 will achieve great fps with those settings.

You have no case.

Quote, post 25: ''In any case, set everything to ultra in wow (including shadows), 8x msaa, roll a lv1 toon on blackrock, go into Org, face Garrosh' building (not above your character), zoom your camera all the way out, and take a screenshot. ''

I call troll.

ONE more time YOUR card is DAMAGED or you didnt update the DRIVERS. It is not possible feasible or plausible a 560 ti cometes w/ a 100% functioning 7970, you have put together clear and concise statements so im assuming your not stupid, but if you can't possibly believe your card has an issue then you might be.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Especially since Windows calculates CPU usage as an average of load over all cores. 2 cores at 100% usage = 25% total CPU usage since the 3770K has 8 cores.

I don't think the 560 Ti supports some of the newer MoP graphical settings which chokes the 7970.
    Wrong, 4 core 8 threads = 8 core sorry.

MMking- of course I can't provide proof now. I no longer have the my 7970. If my 7970 had better fps I would have kept it and instead sold my 560 ti. Unfortunately that's not the case. There's difference between 20 and 40 fps (to me at least). 7970= 20fps 8x msaa in Org. 560 ti= 40 fps 8x msaa in Org. I don't know if I can make this anymore clear.

The 7970 eats the 560 ti for breakfast/lunch/dinner in any OTHER game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone asked why the 690 has such a massive jump over the 680.

670: 1334 Cores, 102 Bil/sec fill raid, 256mb Memory Interface, 192GB/s Bandwidth
    680: 1536 Cores, 128 Bil/sec fill raid, 256mb Memory Interface, 192GB/s Bandwidth
    690: 3072 Cores, 234 Bil/sec fill raid, 512mb Memory Interface, 384GB/s Bandwidth

When you double the power, you nearly double the performance.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 07:54 PM ----------

The 7970 eats the 560 ti for breakfast/lunch/dinner in any OTHER game.
    Sounds like a driver issue, then, if that's the case.

While I agree that, on similar cards, nVidia seems to have a small lead for one reason or another... Cards of that distance in technology and power... There's something wrong. And it has nothing to do with those specific cards.

I'm sure if someone went out and got those two cards at the store, they'd see very different results.

Outliers in statistical data =/= proof or truth. Hopefully it's just a software or driver issue, and you didn't sell some poor guy a bunk card.

Seriously this thread is horrendously stupid.

Seriously you have people with different motherboards, different CPU's, different RAM, different SSD's, different connection speeds, different addons, potentially different operating systems and on different servers comparing FPS in a game that's largely CPU dependent......... Riiiiiight.......

Here is a comparison of the two in controlled environments:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=618

This isn't even with 12.11 drivers. The 7970 is better and so it should be. Anyone claiming to the contrary is retarded and needs to find google.