Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal Wardemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    85

    Heirloom staff or Dual weilding maces for leveling?

    I honestly do not see what the difference is in this for leveling, but seeming how I got harassed in an instance earlier today, I am gonna ask. I have the staff, and I have the One handed agility mace and the main hand agility sword. I am leveling windwalker and having such a great time doing so. I was asked today why I wasn't using the staff while I level. My answer I gave thought was fair. I said I am using dual wielding right now, because from what I have read dual wielding is what level 90 monks are using. I just like the look and the feel of the dual wielding weapons. I figured they would be better and I would soon use the staff when I went brewmaster. What do you guys think? Here is my link.



    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%A5n/advanced

  2. #2
    preference, person who harassed you is an idiot

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans Dannyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,927
    It really, and I mean, really doesn't matter diddly squat which you choice you go for. It is preference, plain and simple. Anybody who wants to argue about min-maxing a leveling character is either insane or a troll.

    Armory | What we do in life, it echoes in eternity.
    Blog | Hogi's Blogspot.

  4. #4
    Who cares, I'm fairly certain DW is more damages, but I feel more monk-y with a staff, and so I have the staff and will continue to do so for all of the WoW patches and exps to follow. So if you wanna DW, Dw to your hearts content man. Haters gon hate, Dual-wielders gon Dual-wield, staffers gon hire people....I mean staff

  5. #5
    As far as I know dualwielding is for DPS and staffs for tanking. For leveling it shouldn't matter that much though.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosios View Post
    As far as I know dualwielding is for DPS and staffs for tanking. For leveling it shouldn't matter that much though.
    Completely inaccurate, while they might not be perfectly balanced it's still far more beneficial to go with whichever you have better weapons for.

    Feral Druid Maintainer of SimC // Moderator at Fluid Druid forums
    Pawkets' Armory
    // Pawkets' Pro Raiders // <Forgotten Aspects>

  7. #7
    Math (not speculation) shows DW to be around a 3% increase in DPS from using a 2h. In other words, it's negligible for leveling. Personally, I'd look at who else you could use the heirlooms for. The 2h staff could be used by a Feral Druid and no one else. The maces could be used for a Rogue or Enhancement Shaman. All else being equal, you'd save a few hundred JP on the 2h instead of the two maces.

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    4,135
    It doesn't matter, at all while leveling. The reason it even matters at higher level is because of ilvl differences and theoritical bonuses (Elusive Brew vs Tiger's thing, Elusve Brew is only from auto attack crits, so staff gives more charges more fluidly due to more crit chance because of the hit table, while DW gives more charges more rapidly, but bit bursty).

    Im personally leveling as BM with DW, pvp hierloom sword and pve mace.
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  9. #9
    i found it doesnt matter that much ... i used the staff for lower lvls up to 30 - top end weapon damage on that boa is higher then most things u will find

    switched to dw maces after

  10. #10
    since you're human, mace will give you extra expertise that the staff will not
    Redsparowe#2548 <Crayola Inc>, Lightbringer EU

  11. #11
    Dreadlord Kyuubi87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardemon View Post
    I honestly do not see what the difference is in this for leveling, but seeming how I got harassed in an instance earlier today, I am gonna ask. I have the staff, and I have the One handed agility mace and the main hand agility sword. I am leveling windwalker and having such a great time doing so. I was asked today why I wasn't using the staff while I level. My answer I gave thought was fair. I said I am using dual wielding right now, because from what I have read dual wielding is what level 90 monks are using. I just like the look and the feel of the dual wielding weapons. I figured they would be better and I would soon use the staff when I went brewmaster. What do you guys think? Here is my link.



    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%A5n/advanced
    The difference is not significant for leveling. Go for the weapon/s you prefer to use yourself.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi87 View Post
    The difference is not significant for leveling. Go for the weapon/s you prefer to use yourself.
    I disagree. You are thinking about single target dps.

    The dmg buff of DW will likely work out to be far superior to a staves increased atk speed due to AoE.

    The best way to level is AoE, be it AoE Quest mobs or AoE instances.
    A faster auto-atk will do next to nothing for AoE dmg, especially after you get spinning crane kick and you basically don't auto-atk at all.

    Therefore, DW is far superior.

  13. #13
    I went DW until I reached Pandaria and it was fine. Now I'm using a rare boa staff I got. I don't notice much of a difference honestly. Of course if I gear them up, I'm sure there is a pretty big difference dps wise, but for leveling I've not noticed much, if any difference.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome Zeglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    582
    Well, I kinda just mixed it up depending on what I liked for transmogrification (I have both).

    Dual wield is better damage, though, apparently. So go with double maces to be precisely ideal.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wushu View Post
    I disagree. You are thinking about single target dps.

    The dmg buff of DW will likely work out to be far superior to a staves increased atk speed due to AoE.

    The best way to level is AoE, be it AoE Quest mobs or AoE instances.
    A faster auto-atk will do next to nothing for AoE dmg, especially after you get spinning crane kick and you basically don't auto-atk at all.

    Therefore, DW is far superior.
    So wrong it hurts.

    The damage buff of Way of the Monk only affects your auto attack damage, not everything else. Same as affecting swing speed instead of haste. AoE does not draw from auto attacks, so is not affected by weapons at all.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Wushu View Post
    I disagree. You are thinking about single target dps.

    The dmg buff of DW will likely work out to be far superior to a staves increased atk speed due to AoE.

    The best way to level is AoE, be it AoE Quest mobs or AoE instances.
    A faster auto-atk will do next to nothing for AoE dmg, especially after you get spinning crane kick and you basically don't auto-atk at all.

    Therefore, DW is far superior.
    I er. Wow. Takes skill to be so ignorant, I think!

    The correct answer to this question is 'whatever you feel like', even at level 90. Just go for the one you prefer. The difference is so tiny that it's completely arbitrary; just go for what you like best, or the weapon with the better stats/higher ilevel.

  17. #17
    Until about lvl 35, you will do more damage dualwielding. I tried several times, but most damage in these regions with a full heirloom char comes from whitehits, and in the lower levels the +5 agility from dual wielding enchants also is a nice bonus.
    This changes then, and it really does'nt matter what you use later on.

  18. #18
    Dreadlord Findus707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Norway, Trondheim
    Posts
    756
    From what i heard, aslong as what ever you are DWing against same ilvl 2h, DW is better damage/dps wise.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Mehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The moon
    Posts
    3,562
    Go for what you feel like, it really does not matter. I personally use a staff because I like staffs (for some silly reason), but the damage difference is near non-existant.


  20. #20
    i'm using 2x maces because when i started getting the heirloom gear there was no staff available and as i already had a max level druid the maces could be more useful later if i fancied leveling a rogue which is only of the 3 classes i have never had at a high level at some point

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •