6.2 Earthquake in Canada

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...00dh4i#summary

Massat, Canada. I don't have any other information about it at the moment, but will update if I do.

First Sandy, and now this. This week is starting out lovely, isn't it?

That's pretty far away from major cities. Worst it can do is cause a tsunami, no?
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to retract my statement from earlier today that nothing bad ever happens in Canada. :x
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Aftershock/sympathatetic quake from the other day?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeka View Post
    Aftershock/sympathatetic quake from the other day?
    sure seems like it

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks to be an aftershock if you look here http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

The crazy thing is that those are quakes from the past 30 days totally 14. 7 of those 14 were from the past 2 days alone. But I wouldn't worry so much. Once it's December 22nd, everyone will be on a total relax until someone will exclaim that 2014 will be the end of all natural resources or some stupid crap >.>
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

6.+ earthquakes aren't that big or rare, really.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

6.+ earthquakes are big.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMonster View Post
    6.+ earthquakes are big.
    Maybe to people who don't experience them, sure. But how much damage they do depends on the type of earthquake and it's proximity to population centers.

6.+ earthquakes in the middle of nowhere really shouldn't concern anyone unless there's no historical record for them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

6~ earthquakes aren't even worth mentioning. Japan's tsunami / earthquake disaster was 1,000x more powerful than this random one in the article. I don't think a lot of people understand how the Richter Scale works. It's multiplicative, not linear.

7.0 is 10x more powerful than a 6.0
    8.0 is 10x more powerful than a 7.0
    9.0 is 10x more powerful than a 8.0

etc etc. News agencies play on this misunderstanding to get viewers / clicks on any minor earthquake that they can get their hands on. There's an average of a signle 6.0-6.9 earthquake every 3 days. Something like four 5.0-5.9 earthquakes every day.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I don't see the "news agency" angle. Dude just linked a government website that deals with earthquakes. If anything it's a neat little addon to the 7.7 they had yesterday in the same area so lighten up Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I don't see the "news agency" angle. Dude just linked a government website that deals with earthquakes. If anything it's a neat little addon to the 7.7 they had yesterday in the same area so lighten up Francis.
    There's really no significance to mentioning it, though, they're hardly harmful.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    There's really no significance to mentioning it, though, they're hardly harmful.
    Well I found it interesting either way.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The San Andreas sure is active these past couple days - more active than normal. First the 7.7 mag and now this? O_o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

There have been lots of fatal 7.x earthquakes in history, especially towards the larger end of the scale. It is just lucky that it was out in the Queen Charlottes / Haida Gwaii rather than being in a dense area, or closer to the surface, or near more volatile plate movements that could create significant tsunamis.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    There have been lots of fatal 7.x earthquakes in history, especially towards the larger end of the scale. It is just lucky that it was out in the Queen Charlottes / Haida Gwaii rather than being in a dense area, or closer to the surface, or near more volatile plate movements that could create significant tsunamis.
    You're still not getting it unfortunately. A 7.x earthquake at the end of the scale is roughly 80x more powerful than the 6.2 earthquake in the OP.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You're still not getting it unfortunately. A 7.x earthquake at the end of the scale is roughly 80x more powerful than the 6.2 earthquake in the OP.
    Yeah it was in reference to the 7.7 that was in the same area 1-2 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Yeah it was in reference to the 7.7 that was in the same area 1-2 days ago.
    We're talking about the 6.x so... I'm not sure what you're getting at.

We're talking about the 6.x so... I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    Ah my bad I thought you were saying that a 7.7 is hardly harmful, I apologize.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Yah I felt it, it was like woo! but nothing major, no damage, no nothing. Yes I do live in the general area
    Most people at the party were too drunk to even notice it haha
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.