1. #1

    Protection Gear: DPS vs. Tanking Gear?

    Trying to hard cap expertise means that I'm almost always better off with DPS gear vs. tanking gear. For my first two VP purchases I took both DPS neck and ring from Klaxxi & Golden Lotus. Moving into our regular 10 man, it's going to be a hard sell that I should be rolling on DPS gear even though DPS gear seems to be the optimal choice this early in the expansion.

    I understand why Blizzard wanted to make hit and expertise important to tanks, but have they made it too important? It seems dodge and parry are stats that I always reforge out of.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Why is that hard to sell?

    Hit, exp, haste, mastery is your best stats. Alot better than dodge and parry. Simple as that. It is not even close to a race. Only crit pieces should be passed up by you.

    In my personal opinion

    DPS piece without crit > tank piece with dodge OR parry > Dps piece with crit > Tank piece with both dodge and parry

    It is perfect if you have a warrior or dk tank since you can pass all "tank gear" to them.

    It is like complaining on hunters needing on agility stuff with expertise or something because hunters did not need exp in cata but they do now. Stat priorities change, so does gearing. If your guild forces you to take bad gear for you, you should confront them.

  3. #3
    I'm in the position firefly described, DK tank gets all the tank gear and I get all the dps gear. I was the melee DPS but had to switch to tank so I don't have to compete/take anyone's stuff. Just easiest and most efficient to gear me in a haste set and dk in the "tank" set.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
    I'm in the position firefly described, DK tank gets all the tank gear and I get all the dps gear. I was the melee DPS but had to switch to tank so I don't have to compete/take anyone's stuff. Just easiest and most efficient to gear me in a haste set and dk in the "tank" set.
    Yup, working perfectly in my raid group aswell since we got a warrior tank and no plate melees.

  5. #5
    I agree Firefly 100%. But i think its based on raid comp too. Like the biggest advantage a raid can get to progress is getting your dps gear first and heals 2nd, tanks last. In my raid comp for ex. we have several plate dps, a brewmaster tank and me on my prot pally. So I get "tank gear" because our plate melee needs the haste gear more as it will provide a bigger benefit.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebutt View Post
    I agree Firefly 100%. But i think its based on raid comp too. Like the biggest advantage a raid can get to progress is getting your dps gear first and heals 2nd, tanks last. In my raid comp for ex. we have several plate dps, a brewmaster tank and me on my prot pally. So I get "tank gear" because our plate melee needs the haste gear more as it will provide a bigger benefit.
    Yup, its a matter of gearing up the raid. If you for some weird reason you got 2 plate dpsers, you shouldn't go haste until they got the drops.

    However not all gears are shared, warriors don't want that much haste for example.

    However if you just got 1 plate dps, bonus rolls and just thinking before distributing gears often works.

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans Grimord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,634
    While stacking Haste/Mastery seems really efficient for Will of the Emperor (massive uptime of ShoTR did turn out a lot better than relying on dodge/parry for me) is it really worth it for the other fights?


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    While stacking Haste/Mastery seems really efficient for Will of the Emperor (massive uptime of ShoTR did turn out a lot better than relying on dodge/parry for me) is it really worth it for the other fights?
    Ehr. Yes. It is completely superior on every single fight. Dodge/parry is so far behind it is not even funny.

    The choice is between mastery and haste, not between dodge/parry and haste/mastery

    For MGV in terms of survivability

    Mastery - Gara'Jal, Emps
    Haste - Guardians, Feng, Spirit Kings, Elegon

    However if you can stay alive, the added haste makes the enrage on Gara'jal heroic alot easier so if you do not need the mastery, stay haste for those fights aswell. Mastery is only slightly superior on emps, but it reduces a decent amount more on Gara'jal due to fight mechanics.
    On emps it is really minor, I would still prefer haste over mastery because the damage taken difference is minor however the dps difference is not.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Why is that hard to sell?

    Hit, exp, haste, mastery is your best stats. Alot better than dodge and parry. Simple as that. It is not even close to a race. Only crit pieces should be passed up by you.

    In my personal opinion

    DPS piece without crit > tank piece with dodge OR parry > Dps piece with crit > Tank piece with both dodge and parry

    It is perfect if you have a warrior or dk tank since you can pass all "tank gear" to them.

    It is like complaining on hunters needing on agility stuff with expertise or something because hunters did not need exp in cata but they do now. Stat priorities change, so does gearing. If your guild forces you to take bad gear for you, you should confront them.
    We are aware that that is the current stat priority, but the question is whether it SHOULD be. Blizzard has almost made plate tanking gear completely redundant, and frankly, when the supposedly lower-level dps/caster enchant is the best for tanks, and some of the retribution T14 pieces are better than the protection pieces for tanks, it is safe to say that Blizzard messed up somewhere along the way.

    If you want to compare to hunters so much; there was a time where it was good to have some spell damage gear, as Arcane Shot scaled from that. It WAS a good stat for hunters, but the question was whether it SHOULD have been that way.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    We are aware that that is the current stat priority, but the question is whether it SHOULD be. Blizzard has almost made plate tanking gear completely redundant, and frankly, when the supposedly lower-level dps/caster enchant is the best for tanks, and some of the retribution T14 pieces are better than the protection pieces for tanks, it is safe to say that Blizzard messed up somewhere along the way.

    If you want to compare to hunters so much; there was a time where it was good to have some spell damage gear, as Arcane Shot scaled from that. It WAS a good stat for hunters, but the question was whether it SHOULD have been that way.
    Personsally I think that were blizzard messed up is with the whole dodge and parry.

    Removing them from the same combat table as block made them really bad in comparison to other stats.

    Why not just remove them? Or atleast remove one of them. They could just have removed parry from all gear and just let plate tanks get parry from strength, that would have solved the problem. But when tanks got 2 horrible tank stats, dodge and parry, and alot of gear got both dodge and parry on them, naturally gearing will be weird.

  11. #11
    My co-tank is a dk, so letting him grab the traditional tanking gear while I need on the DPS gear is a good plan. We don't run a loot council and anyone who can need rolls. I guess I'm a little sensitive since back during Firelands, we were short a healer, so I raided with my priest. In Firelands their was no spirit cloth gear and it took some convincing that I should roll on cloth gear as long as it didn't have any "hit".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •