Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shâréz View Post
    Don't forget the town-destroying fjord tsunami's that occur every once in a blue moon!
    Well, there is actually this norwegian town somewhere that will be hit by a tsunami in not too long. They just don't know how long, because we're talking about a unstable mountain that is slowly sliding into the fjord. When it finally fall they expect the town on the other side of the fjord will be hit by a tsunami in about 4 minutes I think. Just sucks I can't remember the name of this place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    When did we ever have flooding having water to the roof of houses...? At most its just a flooded basement and occasionally knee high on the ground level. The main highway leading into Copenhagen will get submerged pretty often though (maybe once or twice a year) though you can just drive around it with no extra time had it not been for the fewer amount of lanes.

Also iirc most hurricans will move westward so...

Also Denmark has the added feature of having the UK as a meat shield

As for earthquakes - ive never experienced one. Every time i hear about one happening it seems ive slept through it

I want to see a tornado...
    I think I saw somewhere there was a flood in a city where the water was almost at the roofs at the house (about 2/3rds up) but not sure

England is generally a meatshield for us, in case of any "potential" threat, so thank them

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Well, there is actually this norwegian town somewhere that will be hit by a tsunami in not too long. They just don't know how long, because we're talking about a unstable mountain that is slowly sliding into the fjord. When it finally fall they expect the town on the other side of the fjord will be hit by a tsunami in about 4 minutes I think. Just sucks I can't remember the name of this place.
    Yeah I know, that's why I mentioned it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shâréz View Post
    Yeah I know, that's why I mentioned it.
    Can you remember the name of the place? I think it's been on discovery channel even.

I suck at Google.

Nah, nah, we have some... Ehm...
    Look; they're not really all that disastrous, really. In the NL, we've got the odd flooding, a few hurricanes, and an earthquake every decade or so. Blizzards happen, as well.

But generally, it's not really a problem here. Our homes are built to last, even in the face of such weather. The only problems we get are with public transportation, really. Oh, gods, the railways. Other than that: 12+ winds, hailstones ranging between eggs and soccer balls, flash floods that pound away at our dikes... They don't really do much here.

Please note that our weather is probably a lot milder due to the fact that we've got far more forest in the storm-zones.

Deleted
    here in austria in the mountain regions we have landslides ... but they mainly destroy one or the other house, hardly any deaths.
    in rare occuasions rivers swell and we have floods due to immense rain ... but i've never seen more than half a meter flooded ^^

i live in the south of austria, it's pretty flat out here, sometimes we get teeny tiny earth quakes from the south,...

but that's all.

Deleted
    mainly just storms that rip out trees.. or weather.. raid/snow .. that cause floods or car accidents.. Nothing as major as in japan.. america.. or.. even thailand though that was kinda a one time occurance

Other than earthquakes nothing really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hurricane Bawbag hit Scotland not so long ago!

Nobody names hurricanes like us Scots!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing in the Netherlands to be honest. Though we live under sea level, so if we ever get something with water, well, we're fucked.

we had a huge heatwave killing thousands of people in europe a couple of years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

and another one
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_European_heat_wave

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I don't know about the other countries in Europe, but I think Europe doesn't have many disasters like America has.
    Maybe nature tries, to send a message to America :P

floods arent uncommon in europe either, you hear about it on the news almost every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is an extremely local event tho. Even in a worst case scenario it would just affect the tiny " town" (cluster of houses) with 100 or less inhabitants.

off the top of my head....

Iceland - volcano - couple of times in living memory
    Turkey, Italy, and some others - earthquakes
    Some parts of siberia get pretty chilly in winter (-50 or so)
    Flooding in various parts of europe - most dramatic are not that recent. Think there was one in the 50's or so that put a significant % of The Netherlands underwater, and caused impact in UK and other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by silmarilen View Post
    we had a huge heatwave killing thousands of people in europe a couple of years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

and another one
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_European_heat_wave
    i don't understand that. we averaged 106 for 2 weeks where i live and that's about 10-12 degrees higher than average, i work outside and other than a little too much sun, nobody had any real problems

were those deaths due to a lack of A/C or dehydration because people just didn't drink or what because it makes it sound like people were just too stupid to know that they needed water, that's common knowledge i thought. i just don't see how 104 could kill anyone. i've been on roofs from 7 to 7 on hotter days
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-10-30 at 05:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    That is an extremely local event tho. Even in a worst case scenario it would just affect the tiny " town" (cluster of houses) with 100 or less inhabitants.
    That's why I didn't mention tsunamies in my main post . I mean, we can have tornados, earthquakes and similar too, they are just so insignificant/rare that they aren't worth mentioning(can't really call them natural disasters in other words).

It's usually just flooding, ground sliding and smaller hurricanes that makes an impact. As mentioned in my main post.

Deleted
    Portugal:
    We have droughts almost every Summer, and fire outbreaks in our forests. Some are due to natural causes, high temps combined with lack of forest cleaning, some have criminal origin.

During Winters, we have frequent sudden floods, gusty winds and precipitation of rimes. Those are very nasty and hurtful. Though, rimes are very, very rare to happen, here.

On coastal areas, in central Portugal, we have tornadoes. Since 2006, we have been registering at least 1 tornado per year.

In our central Atlantic Archipelago, the Azores Isles, mid way between Europe and America, we also get Hurricanes.
    Some hurricanes are formed there, and go Eastwards, afflicting Florida and the Caribbean sea, on their way; others are formed on Northern Atlantic, and hit strongly the archipelago.

And then, during November and December, we have this:

~30m/98 feet height waves, in Nazareth Canyon. Not really a disaster, if you are a surfer.
    Last edited by mmoc0e82c355ee; 2012-10-30 at 05:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    I dropped my cup of tea once, that's called a national emergency here...
    You should have been jailed for causing that emergency and wasting a national treasure in the process!

15+ Year Old Account
    You're probably talking about Loen.

In 1936 parts of the mountain fell into the lake below and caused a tsunami with waves 40 meters (130 ft) high. In the villages Bødalen and Nesdalen 74 people died, two thirds of the population, 30 of them kids. Only 33 of the bodies were later recovered and buried. I think the headline in one of the major newspapers in Norway, Bergens Tidende, propably explains this best; "Bødalen og Nesdalen is no more", the villages simply destroyed, and is no longer inhabited today.
    The same thing happened in 1905, were 61 poeple died, and is expected to happen sometime in the future, though noone knows when.

A former principal at the school I went to as a kid was a survivor of the 1936 incident, and hearing his story is not something i'm going to forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Hitz From Dah Boing