Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well in Switzerland it is mainly floods, avalanches, landslides and storms. But I would say compared with the rest of Europe we're pretty lucky.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    What kinds of natural disasters happen in Europe?
    Not much, most of Europe is pretty safe from natural disasters.

I think Iceland, Italy and Greece have some volcanos, but only like one in Italy is potentially dangerous since it's near a city.
    Also, in southeastern Europe we have the odd earthquake and forest fire now and then I think. And parts of western Europe are prone to floods.

Other than that, not much really. We have no hurricanes, super volcanos or blizzards that I know of. And most of Europe is free from earthquakes as well. Yes, we have it very good compared to most of the world. Especially compared to the US and Japan.

Natural disasters with lots of damage are extremely uncommon here.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The most recent one, effecting Europe was this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_2007
    To be honest, I haven't noticed any of it, and I live in the effected area. Then again, I live in the Netherlands so we've learned to keep the water out.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 02:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CptMitta View Post
    Nothing in the Netherlands to be honest. Though we live under sea level, so if we ever get something with water, well, we're fucked.
    Nah, you will be fucked since you live in Amsterdam. I will be contempt with my house close to the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    To be honest, I haven't noticed any of it, and I live in the effected area. Then again, I live in the Netherlands so we've learned to keep the water out.
    Indeed, some guy in Rotterdam just pressed a button, floodgates closed and we all were like "was there a flood in Britian? Was there even a storm?!". Silly Brits

Nah, you will be fucked since you live in Amsterdam. I will be contempt with my house close to the beach.
    Exactly, everybody should keep driving big gas guzzling trucks. Then by the time I retire, I will have a beach front property .

Deleted
    In the UK its mostly floods.
    Although we have had the rare earthquake and a few deadly land slides, even a tornado or too. but nothing as serious as regions more prone to those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    England is generally a meatshield for us, in case of any "potential" threat, so thank them
    Thanks, at least someone knows a bit about geography

And we don't even charge you

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 08:39 PM ----------

Also, I was once hit by a rogue wave when I was 14 in Mablethorpe, nearly killed me and my friend.

The North/Germanic Sea is a bit crazy, and used to be a mesolithic hunting ground (trawlers often fish up stone tools and bones).

To some guys here saying we have nothing but a few mild earthquakes from time to time

Island 2010. Whole norther european air traffic (and thus also a big part of the international air traffic) came to a complete still for days (or even weeks)

Deleted
    I've never experienced any "disaster" in Germany. It gets cold in winter, it gets hot in summer, that's it. You hear from "tornadoes" and "earthquakes", but they're just so rare that you'd never even think about them - I just heard stories, never did I see anything unusual for myself while I was at home.

In England, light slow is a natural disaster. The whole country comes to a halt due to an inch of snow. Trains, motorways, airports all suffer majorly and it takes up half of the newspaper headlines. No one really dies, but economically it could be considered a disaster. Pathetic really.

Deleted
    From sweden, what is this natural disasters you speak of

Deleted
    We had a bit of snow last year, a few roofs broke. Trees falling is not something I would call a disaster but that happens.

Deleted
    europe has the same natural disasters like the rest of the world, they just happen less frequent and since its mentioned in which country it happens it overall sounds less dramatic.

for example if you hear on the news : mudslides in america! then it could mean it happend in a huge part of the world (while it might just been a small region)
    if the same news happend in for example italy then it sounds less dramatic since italie is a smaller nation.
    as weird as that might sound its true.

now the fact that i live in the Netherlands makes that i even got less Natural disasters then many other countries, we might have an earthquake but its never truely worth mentioning. neither are most weather conditions (lots of rain or some wind) it just aint as extreme as other places.
    the only major threat we really got is a massive flood like there was in 1953, though the defenses agianst that have massively improved and should be able too take a beating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Nothing serious has happened in Portulga since 1755.

I don't know about the other countries in Europe, but I think Europe doesn't have many disasters like America has.
    Except Portugal suffers from annual fires during the Summer and the island of Madeira got hit badly by heavy rains / wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I think I saw somewhere there was a flood in a city where the water was almost at the roofs at the house (about 2/3rds up) but not sure

England is generally a meatshield for us, in case of any "potential" threat, so thank them
    That's fine, we use Ireland as an umbrella.

As some peeps mentioned, Birmingham had a tornado a while ago but, given the state of Birmingham, it actually counted as improvements. There was also an earthquake most people didn't even notice.

We do get frequent floods (I don't, I live up a hill) but the rest of the time we live under threat of hose-pipe bans (closest we get to a drought).

Our biggest natural disaster is winter, because big freezes are fairly uncommon (British weather tends towards a low-level of misery to gradually erode your will to live) when we do get hit by a particularly icy spell the country grinds to a halt (and frequently slides back down the hill).