Quick question on Pillar phase for Elegon

Hello,

After several solid attempts on Elegon last night with my new guild, I would like to ask one question.

On the "pillar" phases, what is the best method to execute this phase? What is the nature of the adds spawning?

I heard that the adds spawn faster and faster when a pillar dies. If this is true, would it be better to split dps on the pillars so the pillars go down evenly? Or is it best to focus fire on teh pillars and let the tanks just pick up the adds when they are present?

The way that my guild has been doing this is to kill the middle pillar first, the back ones, then finally the front ones and meet up in the middle. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We used to do it like that until someone suggested killing them all at the same time. In the end killing them all at the same time seemed to spawn less adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Upon reaching zero health, the Empyreal Focus deactivates and vents excess energy back to Elegon, increasing his damage inflicted by 20% and casting speed by 20%. This effect stacks." Direct quote from the dungeon Journal.

So the main thing to note here is the 20% increased casting speed. Which means if you kill the pillars 2 at a time on each side, he will have 40% increased casting speed while you kill the next 2, and 80% more killing the last 2 - this will GREATLY increase the number of adds spawned during this phase.

So bringing all 6 pillars to 20% and then burning them all in 5 seconds will leave you with far, far less adds.
    Last edited by Melancolie; 2012-10-30 at 05:40 PM.
    "I like big pulls and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny, when a mob walks in, or maybe 10, all lined up for a spell, you press 2!"..

both methods are viable. multidotters should multidot, etc

as a feral I wild charge to the middle one, rake it, run to the far one, put up full bleeds, then move towards the one seperating our groups (in the same order you do it, essentially). We actually have significant down-time due to one group getting their pillars down WAY faster than the other (10-20 seconds) which we use for light dps on the adds so the transition is cleaner. I actually cannot confirm or deny if the adds spawn faster as you kill pillars. It seems to me that they don't start spawning right away, and thats what makes it seem like they're ramping up the longer you take. It took us a few attempts for the tanks to really grasp how important it was to tank the adds the moment they spawn. you CAN NOT allow the sparks to float across the room to a healer, or aggro onto a dps who hits it a few times, they do a ton of damage to non-tanks. Once your raid is grouped up, you have a few options really. If one tank is able to get aggro on all the remaining sparks thats great, quickly aoe them down. If they're not, its actually pretty much fine to have a few of the adds straggle on with your tank as he re-engages the boss.

What we struggled with, once the tanks were picking everything up, was aggro from newly spawned adds onto healers, and dps pulling aoe threat on some of the adds while burning them down. In our first kill I popped berserk on the remaining adds before the transition to phase 3 and nearly died, but the second I got threat I popped both barkskin and survival instincts, and then when I was satisfied that enough adds were dead to transition the phase, I charged the boss so the few adds I had aggro on couldnt hit me. The point of this anecdote is that there's no one correct way to do it, and while I would suggest your dps being VERY careful of pulling threat in the transition, if they are quick to react, going balls deep in the adds is not necessarily a bad idea.

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 01:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Melancolie View Post
    "Upon reaching xero health, the Empyreal Focus deactivates and vents excess energy back to Elegon, incrwasing his damage inflicted by 20% and casting speed by 20%. This effect stacks." Direct quote from the dungeon Journal.

So the main thing to note here is the 20% increased casting speed. Which means if you kill the pillars 2 at a time on each side, he will have 40% increased casting speed while you kill the next 2, and 80% more killing the last 2 - this will GREATLY increae the number of adds spawned during this phase.

So bringing all 6 pillars to 20% and then burning them all in 5 seconds will leave you with far, far less adds.
    that's great information, dont know how i missed it!

Deleted
    Yep, we noticed an aberrant number of adds when killing the pillars freely. Much better killing them in a coordinated way. This is one of those few bosses in which doing the achievement (http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=6686) is doing the boss the right way.

Whoever is dpsing the spark on that pillar, then solos that focus, tanks help the dot classes calling a switch if needed so that all 3 die at the same time. get all 6 down together and you get very few adds making transition much smoother.

1 2
    3 4
    5 6

Assign 3 dps, 1 tank and 1 healer to each side.

Kill 2, 3, 6 First.
    Then Kill 1, 4, 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerGamez View Post
    1 2
    3 4
    5 6

Assign 3 dps, 1 tank and 1 healer to each side.

Kill 2, 3, 6 First.
    Then Kill 1, 4, 5.
    For once i must call bad advice... Anything other than suggesting to kill them somewhat simultaneously to a group having trouble on normal is a bad call.
    "I like big pulls and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny, when a mob walks in, or maybe 10, all lined up for a spell, you press 2!"..