The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

windows32 folder

Hello there

i'm not the smartes guy around when it comes to computers.

Today my cousin decides it could be fun, if he deleted my windows32 folder, using some .bat file, i didnt know what he was doing untill he had deleted it. he said it would make it faster, and i didnt mind that, then when he was done he said he deleted it, and explained how. i tried to find it, and i couldnt. i have always been able to before.

so, that happened like, 4 hours ago, and it have worked perfectly since, nothing have changed tho, but i've read that i need reinstall my OS, is that true, if thats the case, can i never shut it down because i dont have the CD, since i didnt get any

If you restart or turn off your computer assuming your cousin really deleted your System32 folder (which is not as easy as people think it is, you can't just drag it to the recycling bin) you'll get a boot error on startup and you'll have to reinstall your OS.

You can download a legitimate .iso from Windows if you don't have the CD, but you'll need your CD key to install it.

Also, the "it'll speed up your PC" thing is "advice" people tell other people to "troll" them.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-30 at 04:46 PM.

smack your cousin in the head.
    dont let him touch your computer again.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    okay, he used the:

@echo off
    del:\WINDOWS\system32

and i have been able to use my computer normally since, wont it fuck up untill i've rebooted it?

what version of windows are you using?

can you navigate to C:/windows/system32? is it still there?

afaik he didnt use the right command, it should've been "del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32". i could be wrong though.

That's not the right command.

He'd have to include the drive in the path.

That being said, if he did include the drive and you've just omitted it by accident, your computer will fail to start if you turn it off or restart it, System32 contains files Windows needs to boot.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Expensiveham View Post
    what version of windows are you using?

can you navigate to C:/windows/system32? is it still there?

afaik he didnt use the right command, it should've been "del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32". i could be wrong though.
    its still there, i'm using win7-64 bit

i will try to use that program tomorrow Synthaxx, to be on the safe side and let my computer stay on for the night, thanks for the help guys

Deleted
    restart it now lol. Does you have a dvd with Windows that came with the computer?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    like i said in the post, no

10+ Year Old Account
    this is an old trolling joke from 4chan, it's never worked, well, maybe with windows 98

system32 and it's contents are protected from the user, even if you are the administrator of your computer, by default you do not have ownership of these files and cannot delete them, there are ways around this of course, but not by using the old 4chan method

1. he didn't delete your system32 folder (if he did, you would have noticed by now)
    2. never ever do anything with your system if you don't have the knowledge to back up your actions