10+ Year Old Account

Challenge Mode Gear Questions

How does the gear scaling work? Say I'm ilvl 450, does my gear get scaled up to 463?

Also, what about gems/enchants/reforge? Do professions bonuses give you any boosts?

What if someone had a chest piece with 2 gems slots, while the other person's chest piece only gave 1 gem slot. Is there any advantage that can be used from that?

Also, if any site has a good guide/description/FAQ of Challenge modes, could you link/pm it please. I tried to look for something but it didn't work out so well.

Thanks.

gear only scales down, not up
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

If an item is below ilv 463 it will be unchanged. If an item is above 463 it will be reduced to 463. Nothing else changes.

(Hit Rating is not reduced under any circumstance)

How about expertise?

I am also a bit foggy on challenge modes.

Ideally I would be setting my resto druid to hit haste breakpoints for extra ticks on hots and dump everything else into mastery.

If I have a item level 476 piece that has haste on it and I am exactly at my haste breakpoint, will the haste on that item be lowered so I no longer am at that breakpoint?

I guess I could just zone into a challenge mode to find out come to think of it.....

I wonder if there is any resource that you can plug your gear into and it will automatically scale it down for you so you know if you're hitting your ideal min/max set up?

You're gear will get scaled down to 463 ilvl. I'm not 100% sure but it might get scaled up to 463 ilvl if you are below that.

Gems/Enchants stay the same and don't get scaled. Profession bonuses don't get scaled down either. Your reforged stats will be scaled down to 463 ilvl but some are weird i..e mastery % for blood dks goes up? ??

Yes using gear with more gem slots or better itemization is great. I have 489 haste/crit gear but it's better for me to use 476 mastery/hit or mastery/exp gear.

If you really want to perfect your reforge, set it to challenge mode and zone in solo and test it out. However this sin't 100% neccesary for most classes and a general reforge will be satisfactory.

Marza from <Aftermath> has posted some pretty decent video guides to work with here

Don't follow their Stormstout Brewery first pull though as it's really slow. You can also optimise thier runs better to get faster times.

There's also a ton of videos on youtube if you just search the challenge mode you're after i.e. "gold challenge mode run scholomance" etc.

I've recently completed all Gold challenge modes this past week and the transmog gear is amazing. Mount and Title are nifty too.

Our group was: Blood DK (me), Hpally, Feral, Boomkin, Ele.

If you need any specific advice PM me if you get desperate but there's heaps of information out there already if you google.

The haste on your greater than 463 gear will be scaled down, yes. Hit and expertise don't change, which means you get ever so slightly more powerful when you reforge other stats on higher level gear into hit/exp - this didn't used to happen but obviously it causes issues so this is their fix for the moment. Everything else is diminished appropriately, and lower level gear simply remains unchanged.

You also lose set bonuses.