Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    What if there was a method of time travel that only let you view the past?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe it's possible to travel backwards in one's own past, forwards, yes, backwards, no. I do believe that when we invent "time travel" it will actually be "dimension travel" where we travel sideways to an alternate reality which is "younger" than ours but nearly identical.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Draile View Post
    Use a telescope, and you are viewing galaxies as they were hundreds of years ago. =)

Seriously though, I don't think there's going to be any magical way to skip around through time, certainly not on a macroscopic scale. Even if we could, if I extrapolate from the "teleporters" that we have today, from a naive sci-fi practical standpoint, you'd need control of the system on both ends of the "time travel," so you'd only be able to travel form one teleporter to the next.

Then there's the tricky notion that you aren't really traveling, you are actually annihilating at one point (in space and/or time), and creating an identical copy at another point. Quantum physics may say it's me, but is it REALLY me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCAPLS0CK View Post
    If we ever do invent time travel, then surely at some point in that potentially infinite time that time travel was present, then someone will have used time travel to travel back to before this date, thus we would already know that we invent time travel, as we would already have time travel. Am I right?

Alternatively, if we ever did invent time travel and someone was to travel back in time to a date prior to now and the world became aware of our future ability to time travel, this would cause a paradox and the whole timeline from that point until that particular time travel scenario occured would be re-written and this current reality would cease to be.

Third option, we invent time travel and an official law/common courtesy is to "not travel to a time before time travel". Can we honestly expect that the entire human population would adhere to this restriction?

To conclude, we will never invent time travel.
    I have been saying this for years!

However I can think up one exception. If time travel requires a lock-on target similar to how it works in Rift where you can only go back to a time travel machine, in which case nobody could travel backwards yet because one hasn't been invented.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the multiverse theory principle.

What if we're the most furthest future in all universes, and that we are writing the future as we speak, thus Time Travel will not exist until this universe has invented it?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazi View Post
    Actually Relativity says that it is possible if I'm not mistaken
    Not really. Unless you count time dilation as time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapTripper View Post
    go watch Primer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/

especially u semaphore
    This may come as a news to you, but stuff that happen in movies are generally not real.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    This may come as a news to you, but stuff that happen in movies are generally not real.
    cant cope with a bit of fantasy in your lyfe?

you would be terrible at cosplay

Deleted
    Well, as much as I commend you for your efforts, General Relativity by itself does not forbid closed timelike loops (the bad things, travel to the past etc). There are solutions which allow for it, some simple ones that are incompatible with observations of our universe (a former costudent wrote a thesis about one), and more complicated ones that are somewhat less incompatibe (wormholes etc). But GR is obviously incomplete, and multiple universe sounds too much like a cop-out to me, which of course is horribly subjective

The theory of general relativity does suggest a scientific basis for the possibility of backwards time travel in certain unusual scenarios, although arguments from semiclassical gravity suggest that when quantum effects are incorporated into general relativity, these loopholes may be closed. These semiclassical arguments led Hawking to formulate the chronology protection conjecture, suggesting that the fundamental laws of nature prevent time travel, but physicists cannot come to a definite judgment on the issue without a theory of quantum gravity to join quantum mechanics and general relativity into a completely unified theory.

- Faster then the speed of light
    - The use of cosmic strings and black holes
    - Worm holes and Alcubierre drive

Time travel exists already.

We are all traveling forward in time at the rate of one second per second! Come on guys get with the program.

Some theories, most notably special and general relativity, suggest that suitable geometries of spacetime, or specific types of motion in space, might allow time travel into the past and future if these geometries or motions are possible. In technical papers, physicists generally avoid the commonplace language of "moving" or "traveling" through time ("movement" normally refers only to a change in spatial position as the time coordinate is varied), and instead discuss the possibility of closed timelike curves, which are worldlines that form closed loops in spacetime, allowing objects to return to their own past. There are known to be solutions to the equations of general relativity that describe spacetimes which contain closed timelike curves (such as Gödel spacetime), but the physical plausibility of these solutions is uncertain.

Relativity predicts that if one were to move away from the Earth at relativistic velocities and return, more time would have passed on Earth than for the traveler, so in this sense it is accepted that relativity allows "travel into the future" (according to relativity there is no single objective answer to how much time has really passed between the departure and the return, but there is an objective answer to how much proper time has been experienced by both the Earth and the traveler, i.e., how much each has aged; [twin paradox]). On the other hand, many in the scientific community believe that backwards time travel is highly unlikely. Any theory that would allow time travel would introduce potential problems of causality. The classic example of a problem involving causality is the "grandfather paradox": what if one were to go back in time and kill one's own grandfather before one's father was conceived? But some scientists believe that paradoxes can be avoided, by appealing either to the Novikov self-consistency principle or to the notion of branching parallel universes.

Deleted
    I know enough that i can say for certain that i dont know if there will be time travel in the future !

If they create a perfect simulacrum of reality at a specific point in time, does that qualify as time travel?

Time travel cannot just pop someone into existence. It's much more likely that time travel is not possible to a time where there is no time machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Time travel cannot just pop someone into existence. It's much more likely that time travel is not possible to a time where there is no time machine.
    Well it would have to be a vehicle capable of traveling time and space.

If it was located on Earth, and you used it on earth... you could end up inside the earth, so crushed and dead. Or in space... no air and dead...

Because as time goes on the earth moves around in space, so where the earth is Today and where the earth was a million years ago is very different. As far as location in space and time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draile View Post
    That requires that past already exists somewhere , a requirement that doesn't make any sense.
    That means that the information is being kept somewhere from the big bang till now-planck time , which means that as we speak a dinosaur is eating, Archimedes is calculating Pi, and a time traveler is travelling back in time to fix something.

A time travel to the future though may be possible at some point in the far far future, but time travel in the past requires so many exaggerated theories to be confirmed in order to even think that it may be possible.
    Last edited by Keosen; 2012-11-01 at 07:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneFrostFire View Post
    check grandfather paradox
    Didn't really hurt Fry!

start @ 1:23 if you want to see hot Fry-on-Grandma action >.>
    http://www.comedycentral.com/episode...eason-3-ep-319

I'm from the future
    I came here from the year 2053.
    In my time line, time travel has been invented.
    It was invented in 2010.
    Your time line similar but different then mine.
    I've come back to retrieve information and technology.
    Nothing that your time will miss or notice is gone.
    It's a great deal to my time line as these forms of technology do not exist and the information for them has been lost.
    None of what i'm saying matters because you don't believe me any way.
    Glad to see your time has a lot less war then mine.
    Then again our greatest inventions have always come during times of need not want.