Thread: Help PLease

Help PLease

I have been tasked with attempting to help some our rogues improve their DPS. The only problem is I don't know how much of a gear vs skill issue it is. I spoke with the higher DPS rogues and they said it is only a gear issue.

I know the lower rogues are behind the gear curve, but since I am not familiar with the class at all, I am unsure if they are messing up their rotation.

If anyone has the time could you please look at our logs and help me, help our rogues?

Thanks

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3cv6mp5pjpiqj5r9/

Looking at larxiene in over 6 different fights, not one of them did he have even a 50% uptime of slice and dice. this needs to be as close to 100% as humanly possible. it is the single most important thing a combat rogue will do to improve his dps (as well as energy regen which means more dps). this is not a gear issue in the least. i cant honestly say i looked any farther as i dont believe its a tweaking thing, unless the logs arent accurate, he needs to look into the basics of the class.

neither of the middle 2 rogues used shadow blades O.o.. why not? It isnt as shiney of a DPS when youre mut as it is when youre combat, but it still means more combo points on top of making your auto attacks 100% ignore the enemies armor. wyldfire also dosnt seem to like uving vendetta as much (mutilate's best cooldown).

garotte is pretty bad. semi-arguable but ive yet to see a time when its won the argument. ambush and mutilate from stealth are both viable.

i cant see without doing a ton more work than i am willing to, but it looks like wyldfire is sitting on his blindsides for quite a while. is he mutilating with the proc up? (potentially wasting the procs). its possible he is just very very very lucky.

wyldfire: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dfire/advanced
    well over expertise cap, WELL over hit soft cap. hit after this point is still worth something, but not even as much as haste. also seems to be gemmed/enchanted to give himself more hit, crit and expertise than mastery. y hit (till 7.5) > mastery > expertise > crit > haste > w hit at most attainable gear levels. missing 3 enchants as well as 2 blacksmithing sockets. should notice a solid improvement from proper reforging/gemming/enchanting alone.

larxiene: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...xiene/advanced
    missing one enchant, seems pretty solid on the reforging. questionable on gems, but likely just due to not having enough red slots. i get the train of thought.

Devsar: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...evsar/advanced
    passes audit. i question if a reforge tool could turn more haste/crit into expertise, but very likely solid in the gearing department

Verminnard: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nnard/advanced
    Over hit soft cap by a good bit, under expertise cap by a little bit. could likely burn some of that hit to fix the expertise. not near the gear level where he should be choosing haste over agi (thats closer to BiS gear) yet he is prioritizing towards that. also on wielding 1 weapon.. that could be an issue :P (and could explain the below expertise cap).

im sure i missed some stuff, but running on 4 hours of sleep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your lower rogues aren't specced combat, and like it or not, blade flurry is unrivaled in the rogue class for Stone Guardians. Tell them to go grab a 2.6 mainhand, spec combat (for that fight) whether they reforge or not, never turn off blade flurry, and their DPS should soar. Conversely, given appropriate weapons (not a 26-ilevel gap), your combat rogues should spec assassination for the other fights.

Eijin's provided a lot more in depth information, but as TSG goes, this is true ^

Deleted
    Devsar's ilvl and weapons are only at pre-raid HC level. DPS as Assassination shouldn't surpass the 40k-ish mark. Even 50k is next to impossible for him to do.
    Larxiene is in the same boat, however, she seems to be specced for Combat, which isn't really a viable spec for single target fights. Unless, of course, if he/she's had bad luck with dagger drops...
    Wyldfire is no different.

I'd like to have a word with this Verminnard, though... His armory is... Confusing. He only has ONE weapon equipped, and I can't say whether that's intentional or not. Having only one weapon equipped is a MASSIVE, TREMENDOUS dps loss, especially as Combat. He needs to either grind himself a dagger, or get a blacksmith to craft him one. Better yet if he can get his hands on a second slow weapon, like the one he already has.
    Last edited by mmoc0d3e61e7f2; 2012-10-30 at 07:34 PM.

The first thing I noticed is your rogues aren't all Combat for Stone Guards. There's no reason not to be.

Aside from that, all of your rogues are geared enough to be pushing 50k on Feng as Assassination. None of them are.

I'll just look at your lowest performing rogue for now:
    (Wyldfire - Feng)
    Still using Garrote. Mutilate is a superior opener.
    Rupture uptime is only ~89%. It should be very, very close to 100%.
    Not using Shadow Blades as far as I can see...
    Not using Vendetta as much as possible. Only 3 uses in 7:41. Should have 4.
    Same with Synapse Springs - 6 uses in 7:41. Should have 8.
    Same with Flashing Steel Talisman - 5 uses. Should be 8.
    (Wyldfire - Gear)
    12% hit. Needs to be 7.5%.
    8.15% exp. Needs to be 7.5%.
    Missing enchant on cloak, belt, and hands.
    Very strange gemming.
    Missing BS sockets.
    Using old Synapse Springs - get engi to 550 for new ones.
    Should cap Engi and get the goggles.
    If he/she's too lazy to do simcraft, askmrrobot is ok: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/draka/wyldfire

There's something to start with. If your lowest performing rogue were to optimize, he/she would be able to out DPS your top performing rogue. It's not just gear.

EDIT: Wyldfire is not the lowest. Didn't see Larxiene hanging out down there. Someone already pointed some things out for him/her, though. Needs serious improvement, that one.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2012-10-30 at 07:39 PM.

I recommend Reforgelite for all your reforges, so you can get them as close as possible and maximize your stats.

Deleted
    If you're in charge of "fixing" your rogues, I'd like to stress one very important point you need to be very understanding with...

Weapons mean everything!

It's the single most important upgrade for the class, as almost all our sources of damage scale with weapon-damage to an immense degree. Even with my experience as a rogue, I couldn't push above the 40k zone by a lot as Assassination, in full pre-raid HC gear. However, after acquiring one, JUST ONE, of the Stone Guard daggers, my dps instantly sky-rocketed to 60k sustained damage, just because of the dagger alone. Given another dagger, I'd probably see a similar increase in damage.

You can give them as many equipment pieces as you want, but as long as their weapons aren't getting upgraded, their dps will remain second-rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Incineration View Post
    Devsar's ilvl and weapons are only at pre-raid HC level. DPS as Assassination shouldn't surpass the 40k-ish mark. Even 50k is next to impossible for him to do.
    i have to disagree with you. the first week this raid was out my ilevel was 467-468, i had a purple helm (engineer) and iirc trinket (brewfest) and boots (sha), the rest was gear from heroics including blue weapons. i likely should have cone mutilate, but combat was my prefered spec at the time and on progression content where enrage timer isnt yet an issue, i figured i was better in a spec i was more comfortable to learn mechanics.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/e8t2z...?s=3230&e=3690 54k dps at that point

edit: quick 100 iteration simulationcraft (tank and spank, 450 sec, low lag, has all buffs)
    devsar: 62505 dps
    Wyldfire : 56285 dps
    Larxiene : 59940 dps
    Verminnard : 52767 dps (gave a default offhand. not sure the DPS on it, but 0 stats. from the looks of it same dps as his mainhand due to killing spree's main and offhand damage being similar)

This is -roughly- what their gear is capible of. of course the fight isnt going to have 100% buff uptime, nor will he stand perfectly still and not blind you or require you to feint and so on.

BTW. you can cloak off the -75% hit debuff.
    Last edited by eijin; 2012-10-30 at 08:21 PM.

Thank you much all!