View Poll Results: Do you support a Cyber Bullying or in Person Bullying?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supporting only Anti Bullying Cyber Law

    4 1.09%
  • Supporting Both

    145 39.40%
  • Supporting only Anti Physical in person Anti Bullying

    65 17.66%
  • Not supporting any

    154 41.85%
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
20
... LastLast
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    You are wrong.

    1) It's not just mean words. Although that can be a big part of it. It's everyone you interact with (remember, for children, their school is pretty much their entire world) thinking you're stupid. No-one of your peers you can trust. No-one to play with, no-one who wants you in their group for assignments, no-one you can talk to. People spreading lies about you without anything you can do about it. Losing your stuff on a daily basis. Being tripped and shoved and pushed and kicked and punched by people you used to think were your friends. Telling something in absolute confidence, only for it to spread the entire school.
    2) Bullying leads to depression. The symptoms of depression are almost exactly the same as the feelings victims get from being bullied.
    3) "Instead of looking for help" Very funny. Where is the kid going to find help? Friends? If the kid has them (being bullied isn't exactly great for your social life), there still isn't much another kid their age can do against a group. Parents? How many parents will tell their kid to man up, or ignore it, or just shrug it of as kids being kids? Teachers? You know what teachers say? "I can't do anything unless I see it myself." "Are you sure they're not just teasing you?" "Maybe you should try to open up more."
    Ok I am wrong on depression, but it can be solved , not by law, and not by suicide, it is still something that can be prevented, help they never ever asked for help, the first step when someone as problem is them talking about it to someone. I hate it when you say parent arent listening, most parent I know listen to their kids, my dad did when I had problems, we solved togheter, I am not coming here from nowhere, I had help, when I manned up and decided to talk about it, manning up is more talkign about it then trying to deal with it alone. No matter what you say when kids go talk about it to their parent, they listen most of the time (yeah some parent are jerks or have problem themselves those kids have a bigger problem most of the time)

    Like you can read I say most of the time often , because bullying is a case by case problem.

    Anyway no matter how long we discuss this I think most POV on this situation are so different no one will ever come to an agreement on this subject.
    ENGLISH ISNT MY MAIN SPEC
    YOU NOW BREATH CONSCIOUSLY

  2. #182
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    13,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Another person's words isn't anything close to what you said.
    But its still bullying, and therefore a "normal" activity, apparently. Where do you draw the line between frivolity and criminality? What is the too far point that you can look at objectively?

    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Then call the fucking police and sue their parents like a normal person.
    The police were notified of the situation in that case. Nothing was handled on a legal level.
    “A fool is not a person who does not know something. Rather, a fool is a person who is given information but who chooses to ignore what he is given based on how he wants things to be, rather than how things are."

    General Off-Topic Forum Moderator

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Nope.
    I won't quote made-up statistics, but I know for a fact that more 0.01% of bullying has physical violence associated with it.
    And in most cases it's a group against one person. Standing up against one person (who is socially more powerful than you) is hard enough (even for a lot of adults), standing up against a group is hard, requires big amounts of confidence and self-esteem and the knowledge that some people love you regardless. Which is exactly what a kid being bullied lacks because they're being bullied.
    In most cases? Bullshit. Show me evidence of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    But its still bullying, and therefore a "normal" activity, apparently. Where do you draw the line between frivolity and criminality? What is the too far point that you can look at objectively?
    Yeah, and? The quote was referring specifically to words. At a reasonable place. Criminality is when the actions are actually criminal in nature. There's no need for anti-bullying laws because behavior serious enough to merit attention are already punishable.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-10-31 at 12:06 AM.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    implying that the bullied kids somehow deserve to be bullied. What an asshole.
    I didn't imply that, you said it. Read my words.

    In some cases though, yes, negative feedback is good if it directs the person to a better lifestyle. Just for fun, I challenge you to TRY comprehending the difference between these situations and actuall physical harm. If you succeed, you will start to grasp why the "bullying" topic is a comical topic to myself and others when people say, "Bullying is serious business!" Real, physical harm is easily dealt with (if you don't want to yourself) via laws, etc. Name calling, and teasing in general is not one bit serious, and in most cases is just stating a truth, which is laughable to think of as a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Then call the fucking police and sue their parents like a normal person.
    This.
    You guys act like there aren't already systems in place to deal with heavy harassment via the legal system.

    It's pretty stupid to suggest we create laws that say "Don't be mean to people guys!"
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  6. #186
    Warchief Knight Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    2,237
    Honestly I'm kinda surprised you haven't been infracted yet in this thread.
    So my words are getting under your skin, huh?

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Parents can't supervise what is going on in school


    Doesn't change anything



    Nope, they just don't care.



    Nope, that's bullshit. Laws exist for a reason, courts exist for a reason, authority exist for a reason. The mere fact that some people are against some laws is proof that laws work, or they wouldn't be worried about them if they didn't.



    You seem to think bullying is about getting called some names and end of story. Nope, doesn't work that way. And you can't seriously dismiss something like this by saying that a fucking kid is just weak minded or has poor parents. Also, your romanticized vision of bullying as a "rite of passage" is pathetic
    Teachers do care, but when you've got 8 young men aroudn 15-18 menacing them, they just pass it away even if they call the cops, what do you want them to do ...they have no proof and they are 8 against the teachers....good luck, teachers just have no power because the kids/teen hae more menpower. Sad but true.

    source: sister got told to stfu by eight 16 yrs old men most of em around 170-180 lbs, she weight 115 lbs.....guess what she stfu. She told me this. I weight 200lbs 6'2'', what the fuck do you want me to do? I am 26 I cant go and beat up a 16 yrs old teen.....what can you do against this?
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2012-10-31 at 12:08 AM.
    ENGLISH ISNT MY MAIN SPEC
    YOU NOW BREATH CONSCIOUSLY

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    So my words are getting under your skin, huh?
    Please stop cyber-bullying, the user in question might take offense and kill themselves.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The police were notified of the situation in that case. Nothing was handled on a legal level.
    Which means the police fucked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    Teachers do care, but when you've got 8 young men aroudn 15-18 menacing them, they just pass it away even if they call the cops, what do you want them to do ...they have no proof and they are 8 against the teachers....good luck, teachers just have no power because the kids/teen hae more menpower. Sad but true.
    You know, many schools have an school police officer right? My middle school and my high school had one. As for teachers being menaced by students, that's really fucking rare. You're talking about outlier cases. In the majority of cases, students will act like pussies around teachers.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-10-31 at 12:10 AM.

  10. #190
    Immortal vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    7,575
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkimble16 View Post
    I was never picked on in High School and just about everyone was my friend. I do agree that showing the bullies that you won't stand for that kind of treatment may put a stop to it. Thing is it won't always work for everyone. Most people who get bullied don't even deserve it. They go to school, mind their own business, and get picked on. Why should someone have to "fight" to break away from that kind of mistreatment?
    Why should one fight ever? To defend oneself. I know it's a hard concept but sometimes in life shit happens for whatever reason and we are forced to deal with things outside our comfort zone kids harass other kids usually for no reason other than they are showing off. Dealing with something like this by yourself to me is a good thing. Making some stupid law to ensure everyones feelings are properly checked is just going to make them have to learn to deal with conflict later in life.

  11. #191
    The Lightbringer starkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Planet Caravan
    Posts
    3,191
    A chick throws herself in front of a train because of cyber bullying, talk about going off the rails.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    i like how all the people who were afraid to stand up for themselves make it seem like bullies run around gang raping people.

    99.9% of the time, it's namecalling, jokes at their expense, etc

    in other words, it's just reality. the reason you end up with all these damn social retards is because they never have to learn how to deal with social situations. so they cry, sue, commit suicide, run away, cry, whatever

    it all leads back to fear. they're scared, fear controls them, they'd rather die than risk getting punched in the face. you can fight a bully and get your ass kicked and USUALLY they're gonna leave you alone at some point, you're not an easy target. bullies don't wanna run into that kid that beats their skull against a sidewalk. that's their fear, to be seen as weak by the people they feel they have the respect of

    at what point in life is it ok to roll over and take your ass kicking? if someone cuts in front of you in a line, do you let them? what about if they climb in your car at a redlight and want you to take them 2 blocks down the road?

    you can't be useful in life if you're a big old sissy bitch. earlier you stand up the better. people need to see what they're made of. today, people avoid it.
    You're right that people shouldn't be pushovers for the rest of their lives and that they should take charge and take action. I just think it's getting outta hand these days. Every time I hear of a suicide or death as a result of bullying I bow my head in shame. Is this what our world has come to? Making fun of other people in such a way to drive them to commit such a horrible act? The teens that are being made fun of are of young minds. Their whole world revolves around the respect they have for themselves and those around them. A whole teen's world can come crashing down when everyone around them act like they are the scum of the earth.

    Being an adult and looking back at all the things I've done or have had done to me makes me laugh. It's not such a big deal now. At the time it was tho. That right there is the issue.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    What would the downside be?
    The obvious limitations on free speech, and the creation of a society where people are forced to be nice to each other simply because they're punished otherwise?
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  14. #194
    Immortal vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    7,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    So my words are getting under your skin, huh?
    uh no you have violated forum guidelines at least twice from what I have seen. You don't call other posters "assholes" and I would have to go back and find the other.

    EDIT: Your first post on this thread is the other
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2012-10-31 at 12:15 AM.

  15. #195
    Immortal vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    7,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    The police were notified of the situation in that case. Nothing was handled on a legal level.
    Then you should have sued them as well assault is assault no matter the age.

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    A chick throws herself in front of a train because of cyber bullying, talk about going off the rails.
    You missed the sunglasses

    and I will go to hell because I laugh :S
    ENGLISH ISNT MY MAIN SPEC
    YOU NOW BREATH CONSCIOUSLY

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    A chick throws herself in front of a train because of cyber bullying, talk about going off the rails.
    If I laugh, I guess that makes me a bully? Hahahaha.
    [Disclaimer: I feel for her family and friends]
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Is that actually a downside?
    Then why don't you go the whole way and make laws requiring everyone to wear the same neutral clothing, cook the same neutral food, create the same neutral music and movies, and play only non-competitive games where everyone wins.

    That way no one would ever be hurt or offended.
    What a great paradise we'd live in.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  19. #199
    Warchief Knight Gil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    2,237
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    uh no you have violated forum guidelines at least twice from what I have seen. You don't call other posters "assholes" and I would have to go back and find the other.
    So there are rules in place not to...what's the expression you guys like to say..."not be mean" to other people (also known as "being respectful")? Damn. Who would say that the "kids need to tough up" crowd would bring that up. I guess this whole anti-bullying thing has a reason to be, after all. Because you kinda need codes of conduct to run a society.

    Also, I said that in a somewhat ironic tone. Wasn't really intended as an insult.

    Then why don't you go the whole way and make laws requiring everyone to wear the same neutral clothing, cook the same neutral food, create the same neutral music and movies, and play only non-competitive games where everyone wins.

    That way no one would ever be hurt or offended.
    What a great paradise we'd live in.
    Taking stuff way out of context to make oneself look better in a discussion is cool. I heard that some kind of distorted social communism silly idea is the same thing as trying to get kids to grow up mentally healthy and in a respectful environment.
    Last edited by Knight Gil; 2012-10-31 at 12:18 AM.

  20. #200
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    13,705
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Then you should have sued them as well assault is assault no matter the age.
    A lawsuit brought against parents is absolutely dependent on a key factor: parental negligence. Which means that unless the issue has been brought to the parents beforehand, usually through the school, than sticking it to the parents for allowing their child to act in such a way will go nowhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Which means the police fucked up.
    Probably because they maintained the same mentality of the people of this thread. "Kids will be kids" after all, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Yeah, and? The quote was referring specifically to words. At a reasonable place. Criminality is when the actions are actually criminal in nature. There's no need for anti-bullying laws because behavior serious enough to merit attention are already punishable.
    So you expect a SWAT team to be sent in if a child beats someone else up on the playground? Ultimately the law turns a blind eye to children committing crimes unless they are especially evident or egregious; if the legal system even pays attention to it, its usually put back to the school and parents to deal with. I am, of course, referring to bullying, and not juvenile crime in its totality.

    And by the way, if you had read earlier in the thread, I said I was not in support of the presence of anti-bullying laws.
    “A fool is not a person who does not know something. Rather, a fool is a person who is given information but who chooses to ignore what he is given based on how he wants things to be, rather than how things are."

    General Off-Topic Forum Moderator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •