Deleted

I'm new to selling stuff... (Blacksmithing)

So here is the deal. I've never been into Professions throughout my many years playing WoW. But Recently I decided to level BS'ing because I already had mining and I needed a raid profession. I got it to 600 a few days ago and I've been trying to familiarize myself with how everything works. I'm finding everything a bit hard to grasp, to me there seems to be a lot of different variables.

In my inventory right now I have:

9 stacks of Ghost Iron Bars.
    8 Spirit of Harmony's.
    37 Kyparite
    (I have all the Klaxxi recipes)
    (Only 1 contender recipe because 1 spirit of harmony per recipe seems pretty harsh to me)

How do I go about making the most profit from these items? I don't know what to sell.
    I went and farmed spirits and as soon as I got 8, I went and hearthed to SW I posted this in trade: 'LFW [linked blacksmithing] with 8 Spirits.'

I don't get any whispers at all. Should I be doing that? I just need to know the general rules on stuff. Should I make the items and sell them on the AH? Should I have the living steels or should they? Stuff like that, I don't know what to do.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-10-30 at 10:49 PM.

Deleted
    Look at your Blacksmithing recapies.
    Look at the AH.
    See Which makes the most gold.
    Craft it. put it on the AH.
    Go farm more spirits.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is
    Never, ever sell any thing over trade, you will get so many time wasters trying to haggle you down so they can simply put on the AH for a profit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Look at the AH.
    Go farm more spirits.

Never, ever sell any thing over trade, you will get so many time wasters trying to haggle you down so they can simply put on the AH for a profit.
    How can I make sure that the item I'm looking at with a high price is going to sell?

Some people have told me that it's okay to LFW over trade, I mean, something is more likely to sell isn't it, if they come to me and choose what they want.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 01:19 AM ----------

Still need more opinions please.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had a blacksmith forever and really the only thing I've made money off of it with are the enchanting rods and the belt buckles. If you're lucky and get a rare pattern from MV you can make some nice 496 gear but on my server it costs about 9k per blood and takes 9 bloods to make one. But they're on the ah for over 100k but I'm weary to make one to sell because in my experience that stuff never sells for a real profit.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

Deleted
    Thanks for the information so far, but I'd very much like some more people to give their opinions. Thanks.

Try TSM (Trade skill master).

It can tell you how much items cost to craft using current market prices. And also what they're priced at, so you can work out the potential profit for all your craftables.

It won't tell you how they're selling though. You could use the undermine journal for that, and try to analyse the fluctuations to try to determine if an item is shifting. I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffish View Post
    Try TSM (Trade skill master).

It can tell you how much items cost to craft using current market prices. And also what they're priced at, so you can work out the potential profit for all your craftables.

It won't tell you how they're selling though. You could use the undermine journal for that, and try to analyse the fluctuations to try to determine if an item is shifting. I guess.
    Thanks for the tips.

So crafting then AH is the way to go for most people?

Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

So crafting then AH is the way to go for most people?
    *Leveling just for lulz* is the way to go for most people.
    if you want to have some stable income - change profession.
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

It might be different for you, but I see a lot of people asking for Blacksmiths to craft the pvp gear sets on my server. Unfortunately, like you said, that takes spirits, which are probably worth more if you just cash them in for golden lotus and sell those. Other than that, the 463 weapons are actually very good right now because so many people are still leveling alts and gearing up, so those will definitely sell, assuming you don't mind farming the kyparite and spirits.

Blacksmithing really isn't a profession that makes a lot of money on easy to make items. Belt buckles are always good, but apart from that, most of our income is from crafting high-end gear. Although that can be very profitable, it also takes a lot of up front cost to get the mats, making it much riskier. If you want a profession that can turn a lot of profit on low-end materials, you need to consider inscription, enchanting or alchemy. Even cooking is a very strong money maker this expansion because of the changes to how the food buff progression works (with individual food being more valuable than feasts).

I don't use crafting proffs for money making. The items either have a small profit margin or are ridiculously annoying/expensive to craft and have loads of competition. 30-45 minutes in HFP/Zangar/Nagrand or Sholazar Basin on my mining/herbing toon while watching one of my fav tv series makes good money without crossing my annoyance treshhold. Contrary to MoP mats (which are cheap as hell atm) and MoP gear (which has loads of competition) old content mats are pretty much guaranteed to sell for a very good price.

I regularly farm ~10 stacks of fel iron/adamantite ore, smelt 'm into 5 stacks of bars and sell them for 150-200 gold per stack. That is on top of all the herbs you can gather if you have 2 gathering proffs. Easy ~1.5k.

Crafted pvp gear sells quite well, you should spend some spirits of harmony to get the recipes (especially for the dps ones). Belt buckles sell well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marahdeka View Post
    Crafted pvp gear sells quite well, you should spend some spirits of harmony to get the recipes (especially for the dps ones). Belt buckles sell well too.
    Yeah - what this guy said. I am making bank on PVP gear.

Pretty much what some people have said, belt buckles can make a killing on the AH. Selling over trade can work, but if they do try to haggle you down too low, just say Ty and move on. PVC crafted items would def. be worth buying, on most servers they sell really well. Hope everything works out for ya, GL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Look at the AH.
    Go farm more spirits.

problem with that is that most BS will make the most expensive one and undercut each other on that.
    What you want to make is the item that has least competition even if it makes a bit less.
    Ie on my realm the tank gloves are most expensive but there are at least 4 on the ah at any time , the heal plate chest is a few 1000 gold cheaper on the AH but if there is 1 of those on our AH it's a lot.
    I sold 3 of those chests in no time and the gloves, haven't been able to sell those sofar due to the amount of competition
    Last edited by mmocffc62feb06; 2012-11-06 at 09:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like Bubalus suggested is to look at the AH and look up the least sold (ilvl 476) plate item and make it and put it on the AH. That's how I sold my first Wildblood Vest. Also the PvP crafted items aint that bad either. So far I sold 2 sets in total for 300-500g per piece. Also sold 3 spirits for 550g each.

But that's as LW. Not sure how BS goes with items.

On my realm, I've made decent money selling the rare quality procs from making the regular sets. Since they're level 85 and ilvl 415, they're useful to leveling alts until Kun-lai and even into Townlong. I typically sell them during a single 48 hour list period. The nice thing - no spirits needed, the downside - quantity of bars you will go through getting a couple of items to proc for you.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.