Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Why doesn't corruption update correctly...

    Problem : Corruption doesn't update correctly when casted over itself with procs, however it updates correctly with fel flame, or by casting it without corruption up. UA and agony are completely unaffected by this and will update normally just by recasting.

    Has anyone else actually noticed this or understand why it happens. It is very easy to reproduce so I will explain the steps to better understand the problem. I will also post some screenshots. I've done this with the same exact procs / buffs every time, there was no variation of anything.

    1. Cast corruption on target dummy, now when you get procs, recast corruption and note the damage.
    i50.tinypic.com/22i91t.jpg

    2. Cast corruption on target dummy, now when you get procs, cast fel flame. Note the damage. It will be much higher then when you casted corruption again.
    i46.tinypic.com/2epoo04.jpg

    3. Get procs with MG before dotting, cast corruption. Note damage. It should be at full power.
    i45.tinypic.com/m23d0.jpg

    Edit : Here is another screenshot to better understand it with my combat log

    i46.tinypic.com/xddqia.jpg
    Last edited by Iraedey; 2012-10-30 at 11:34 PM.

  2. #2
    I haven't had this problem and I just gave it a go at the dummies, maybe its a UI glitch?
    Cyner#1996

  3. #3
    You were able to read and understand my post then try it on dummies and wait for proc icds during 3 different tests all in 1 minute of me posting? That's kind of impressive :P

  4. #4
    lol, I can't help that i stand around in org all day and hit refresh on forums >.< How do i life?
    Cyner#1996

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cyner View Post
    lol, i can't help that i stand around in org all day and hit refresh on forums >.< how do i life?
    go outside
    Credit to PaulDok for sig!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatuss View Post
    go outside
    You know i'm too pale for that
    Cyner#1996

  7. #7
    I don't have this issue either. 6275 dmg Corruption, then DMC trinket procs, recast Corruption for 7239 damage.

    Source: I looked at my Combat Log.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustjive View Post
    I don't have this issue either. 6275 dmg Corruption, then DMC trinket procs, recast Corruption for 7239 damage.

    Source: I looked at my Combat Log.
    Right, but this wasn't the problem. Do the same thing but now instead update the corruption with fel flame instead of recasting corruption, what is the new damage? The problem was that its not updating FULL strength as it does with fel flame. Make sure buffs / proc is the same.

  9. #9
    I see what you mean now. I took off all my proc gear except DMC.

    4494 damage base.
    5148 recast after DMC procs.
    5510 after I refresh with Fel Flame while DMC still up.

    Very weird.

  10. #10
    Here is another screenshot to better understand it with my combat log

    i46.tinypic.com/xddqia.jpg

  11. #11
    I'm under the impression that dots do update but we may have a different understanding in that part.

    Aren't dots working like the mage ignite or something, that the new added seconds will be buffed while the old unbuffed spell will run his course.

    So try refreshing the dot while it has 1 tick left and see the spell benefits from the buff (minus the extra tick ofcourse).

    It would be kind of weird that mage dots updates (in this way) and warlock dots don't.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I'm under the impression that dots do update but we may have a different understanding in that part.

    Aren't dots working like the mage ignite or something, that the new added seconds will be buffed while the old unbuffed spell will run his course.

    So try refreshing the dot while it has 1 tick left and see the spell benefits from the buff (minus the extra tick ofcourse).

    It would be kind of weird that mage dots updates (in this way) and warlock dots don't.
    Just tried this, it doesn't change the damage values at all

    The weird thing is why this only happens with corruption, not UA and Agony. The refreshed value according to the spellpower coeff should be the damage fel flame is giving it, not the gimped damage it is receiving from overwriting corruption. I wonder if simcraft realizes this happens because as far as I can see on the simcraft output, it accounts corruption as being updated to full power with a refresh, while this is not the case.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hup Holland Hup!
    Posts
    9,027
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I'm under the impression that dots do update but we may have a different understanding in that part.

    Aren't dots working like the mage ignite or something, that the new added seconds will be buffed while the old unbuffed spell will run his course.

    So try refreshing the dot while it has 1 tick left and see the spell benefits from the buff (minus the extra tick ofcourse).

    It would be kind of weird that mage dots updates (in this way) and warlock dots don't.
    Completely different mechanics are the basis of those dots, far as I know. Ignite is an effect, not a castable dot.

    OT: I'm producing Ink at the moment, but I'll log to my lock when I'm done and check if I can reproduce it too. Sounds like something fishy is going on.
    Attack the Argument, not the Person ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  14. #14
    Make sure to double check you are refreshing with the same procs and spellpower buff. Windsong gets in the way a lot so I had people use a wep without windsong / no weapon and we all have gotten the same results. It should be very easy to reproduce.
    Last edited by Iraedey; 2012-10-31 at 12:16 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraedey View Post
    Just tried this, it doesn't change the damage values at all

    The weird thing is why this only happens with corruption, not UA and Agony. The refreshed value according to the spellpower coeff should be the damage fel flame is giving it, not the gimped damage it is receiving from overwriting corruption. I wonder if simcraft realizes this happens because as far as I can see on the simcraft output, it accounts corruption as being updated to full power with a refresh, while this is not the case.
    It's actually not Fel Flame, and it happens a little to Agony too. Look at this:

    [20:06:54.190] Rvst casts Corruption on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:06:54.408] Rvst Corruption Raider's Training Dummy 4494
    [20:06:54.552] Rvst gains Blessing of the Celestials from Rvst
    [20:06:56.294] Rvst Corruption Raider's Training Dummy 4494
    [20:06:56.294] Rvst casts Corruption on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:06:56.566] Raider's Training Dummy's Corruption is refreshed by Rvst
    [20:06:58.082] Rvst Corruption Raider's Training Dummy 5148
    [20:06:58.973] Rvst casts Corruption on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:06:59.357] Raider's Training Dummy's Corruption is refreshed by Rvst
    [20:06:59.913] Rvst Corruption Raider's Training Dummy 5381
    [20:07:00.982] Rvst casts Corruption on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:07:00.982] Raider's Training Dummy's Corruption is refreshed by Rvst
    [20:07:01.778] Rvst Corruption Raider's Training Dummy 5464
    [20:07:03.091] Rvst casts Corruption on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:07:03.380] Raider's Training Dummy's Corruption is refreshed by Rvst
    [20:07:03.590] Rvst Corruption Raider's Training Dummy 5494
    [20:07:05.291] Rvst casts Corruption on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:07:05.429] Raider's Training Dummy's Corruption is refreshed by Rvst
    [20:07:05.429] Rvst Corruption Raider's Training Dummy 5505

    and

    [20:07:47.849] Rvst Agony Raider's Training Dummy 5260
    [20:07:48.008] Rvst gains Blessing of the Celestials from Rvst
    [20:07:49.676] Rvst Agony Raider's Training Dummy 5844
    [20:07:51.512] Rvst Agony Raider's Training Dummy 5844
    [20:07:53.350] Rvst Agony Raider's Training Dummy 5844
    [20:07:53.350] Rvst casts Agony on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:07:53.633] Raider's Training Dummy's Agony is refreshed by Rvst
    [20:07:55.187] Rvst Agony Raider's Training Dummy 7148
    [20:07:55.706] Rvst casts Agony on Raider's Training Dummy
    [20:07:56.152] Raider's Training Dummy's Agony is refreshed by Rvst
    [20:07:57.037] Rvst Agony Raider's Training Dummy 7165

  16. #16
    Super Moderator xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hup Holland Hup!
    Posts
    9,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraedey View Post
    Make sure to double check you are refreshing with the same procs and spellpower buff. Windsong gets in the way a lot so I had people use a wep without windsong / no weapon and we all have gotten the same results. It should be very easy to reproduce.
    Yep, just did. Just my cloak on, and got same results. Normal corruption, then proc corruption, then Fel flame proc corruption, each higher then the next. I tried a normal corruption and then Fel Flame, but it didn't improve the damage, so it MUST be something fishy going on with the combination of proc + Fel Flame refresh.
    Attack the Argument, not the Person ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    so it MUST be something fishy going on with the combination of proc + Fel Flame refresh.
    Judging by the spell power coeff the correct damage from refreshing corruption SHOULD be the damage that fel flame is giving corruption. It feels like when you overwrite corruption with the buffed one, you are only getting some of the benefit from the extra int while you are getting all of it from casting fel flame. UA does not do this when refreshed by FF and gains its full power on a standard refresh. However by looking at simcraft, I am pretty sure its assuming that corruption is gaining the fel flame strength from overwriting the dot which isn't what is actually happening.

    @rust I seem unable to find anything fishy with agony spam refreshing it at 10 stacks.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hup Holland Hup!
    Posts
    9,027
    Rustjive is right, just tried with UA and Agony and Corruption, while NOT using Fel Flame. UA does nothing, but Agony does indeed show the same, but smaller, increase in damage when refreshed. Corruption you get the same result as before, but this time without the Fel Flame. So it's something fishy with just refreshing dots in general. Either that or we are missing something obvious.
    Attack the Argument, not the Person ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  19. #19
    When you SPAM corruption with procs on , it eventually goes to the max damage that it gets with fel flame after about 5 or 6 recasts in a row. It seems standard refreshing only gets a portion of the buffed spellpower at once while fel flame gives it with one shot.

    Agony is still consistent with me, maybe its getting an extra tick from being overwritten early? I am not sure really it is confusing.

    Agony's damage seems to get interfered with if you recast it with buffs before it hits 10 stacks
    Last edited by Iraedey; 2012-10-31 at 12:42 AM.

  20. #20
    Super Moderator xskarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hup Holland Hup!
    Posts
    9,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraedey View Post
    When you SPAM corruption with procs on , it eventually goes to the max damage that it gets with fel flame after about 5 or 6 recasts in a row. It seems standard refreshing only gets a portion of the buffed spellpower at once while fel flame gives it with one shot.

    Agony is still consistent with me, maybe its getting an extra tick from being overwritten early? I am not sure really it is confusing.

    Agony's damage seems to get interfered with if you recast it with buffs before it hits 10 stacks
    My 1 test had Agony allready at 10 stacks before my cloak procced and I could do the rest, so it's not to do with the build up, I think.

    Good catch though, Iraedey, very curious what's causing this.
    Attack the Argument, not the Person ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •