Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Troll Decimation

    Almost all of WoW's troll types are gone. One tribe of jungle trolls and one tribe of forest trolls along with the Zandalari. Am I the only one disappointed to know soon we will only have two troll tribes left?
    Status of the tribes:
    Amani - Wiped out, again
    Vilebranch - Mass ritual suicide at the end of Hinterlands
    Shadowpine - Wiped out by blood elves
    Mossflayer - Zombified and the living are too few in number to make a comeback
    Smolderthorn - Wiped out in the Spire
    Witherbark - Wiped out by Horde
    Gurubashi - Wiped out, again
    Bloodscalp - Wiped out with Gurubashi
    Skullsplitter - Wiped out with Gurubashi
    Shatterspear - Wiped out by night elves
    Hakkari - Wiped out with Gurubashi
    Atal'ai - Wiped out by green dragonflight and mercenaries
    Drakkari - Wiped out by Scourge and mercenaries
    Frostmane - Wiped out by dwarves and troggs
    Winterax - Either wiped out by Horde/Alliance or joined Drakkari to be wiped out
    Sandfury - Wiped out by goblins and mercenaries
    Dark trolls tribes - Wiped out by Twilight's Hammer
    Darkspear - Strongest tribe, continue on
    Revantusk - Small, but still going
    Zandalari - Most likely wiped out soon
    Last edited by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore; 2012-10-31 at 03:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    6,942
    Should take this up with Azeroth's Committee on Endangered Races, they are currently based in Shattrah

    I wouldnt say these tribes are completey wiped out, more just decimated by conflict
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

  3. #3
    Mechagnome nightguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    623
    Damn ...that's all I can say

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    Almost all of WoW's troll types are gone.
    Wouldn't really be "decimation", then, would it?

  5. #5
    That's more than 1/10 of the Trolls gone, not sure how this is decimation.

    Regardless, still sad to see all the Trolls being wiped out.

    You also forgot one of the Troll factions that is still running rampant, the MMO-C Forum Trolls, they are alive and well.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Wouldn't really be "decimation", then, would it?
    Decimation can also mean "to remove a large percentage of".

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    Regardless, still sad to see all the Trolls being wiped out.
    Why's that? It just means we won't have to suffer through any more friggin' Troll raids/instances soon... Thumbs up from me for that. =P

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 03:24 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    Decimation can also mean "to remove a large percentage of".
    If you're an idiot, sure.

    The word is etymologically well-defined from Latin roots that give it the meaning of at 10% reduction. Word's don't just magically mean something new because stupid people are too dumb to use them correctly.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Duito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere between Reality and Fiction!
    Posts
    1,215
    They will rise don't worry, the time of a new troll empire...a master tribe as some may say, is rising! I can feel it coming soon, and it is going to be a during the darkest time in Azeroths history

    but...alas, its just a feeling I have nothing to back up my claims! We will see, in these events that are revealing them selves to us, but I think it is a good thing the trolls are being 'controlled' limited in numbers...their magic, their voodoo could be bad for us all..Even the darkspear trolls them selves! But besides the other trolls...aren't that horde friendly


    *Drinks from coffee cup*
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

    LIFE

    (L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

  9. #9
    Mechagnome nightguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    san antonio,tx
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Why's that? It just means we won't have to suffer through any more friggin' Troll raids/instances soon... Thumbs up from me for that. =P
    Ya know..ppl like you say stuff like this,mbut once blizz says there done with troll stuff I foresee you being one of those bitching that it's over.

    Anyways maybe if vol'jin becomes the kings of the trolls and well ya know uses the horde to forcefully recreate the troll the empire they can be saved.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Why's that? It just means we won't have to suffer through any more friggin' Troll raids/instances soon... Thumbs up from me for that. =P

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 03:24 AM ----------



    If you're an idiot, sure.

    The word is etymologically well-defined from Latin roots that give it the meaning of at 10% reduction. Word's don't just magically mean something new because stupid people are too dumb to use them correctly.
    I just googled it. Jesus. Don't need to be an asshole bro. Also, words change meanings all the time.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Why's that? It just means we won't have to suffer through any more friggin' Troll raids/instances soon... Thumbs up from me for that. =P

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 03:24 AM ----------



    If you're an idiot, sure.

    The word is etymologically well-defined from Latin roots that give it the meaning of at 10% reduction. Word's don't just magically mean something new because stupid people are too dumb to use them correctly.

    Actually thats precisely how meanings of words change over time. Soooo yeah. The meaning of the word no longer only refers to killing every 10th soldier of a unit.

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Lovestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    If you're an idiot, sure.

    The word is etymologically well-defined from Latin roots that give it the meaning of at 10% reduction. Word's don't just magically mean something new because stupid people are too dumb to use them correctly.
    *derailment mortarboard*

    He is not an idiot. In common vernacular, "decimate" is used synonymously with other words in the general sense of "mass annihilation" or "large-scale destruction".

    Pretentious etymology buffs started this trend of nitpicking the words' origin in Roman military practices (and earlier). However, that's a technical level of concern. In everyday parlance (and Internet forums are most definitely a vulgar environment), the word's definition is much looser.

    Also... words' meaning "magically" changes all the time, and very often throughout history it absolutely was because people were too ignorant, lazy, or stubborn (but not necessarily dumb) to use them correctly. So, if you're so zealously devoted to etymology, you should be excited by this chance to observe the natural process at work. ^.~

  13. #13
    Pit Lord Alltat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    2,487
    If Blizzard need more trolls for anything, they can just do what they've always done: add more tribes from nowhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Word's don't just magically mean something new because stupid people are too dumb to use them correctly.
    That's exactly how languages work, actually. It's how languages have always worked, everywhere, ever. Not surprisingly, the word "decimation" has changed its meaning significantly in the few thousand years it's been in use. Now it seems to be used more often in the meaning of "10% left" than "10% gone". This new use of the word isn't new either; it's been frequently "abused" like this for more than a hundred years.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

  14. #14
    "Wiped out" is a massive overexageration.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vineland, Cumberland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,602
    I don't think that list is all to correct. The Zandalari is the central hub of all Troll civilization. Notice how many of the tribes are represented in the Kun'lai Invasion in the north. And then in the Mogu'shan Vaults raid.

    And the way you liberally use "wiped-out" is saddening. The Gurubashi, Amani, Farraki, Drakkari are all doing fine. It really depends on if these tribes have some stake on Zandalar. This is very similar to how many tribes of Orcs have stake in Orgrimmar, and Tauren tribes have stake in Thunderbluff.

    There may be a large portion who have fallen to outside influences, but those that are attacking Pandaria don't seem to have noticed.

  16. #16
    I'm sure some tribes will magically re-appear, or regenerate. (ho ho ho jokes)

  17. #17
    Don't worry, Blizz can easily put in another Troll tribe in the next expansion, just to troll us (ba-dum-tss)

  18. #18
    There were too many troll tribes to begin with!

    I think a lot of those tribes aren't actually wiped out. Especially the Sandfury, just because we killed a bunch while questing in Tanaris doesn't mean they're extinct! Something is only truly dead in WoW if it's explicitly stated so in lore. And not even then really.

    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    The word is etymologically well-defined from Latin roots that give it the meaning of at 10% reduction. Word's don't just magically mean something new because stupid people are too dumb to use them correctly.
    Specifically refers to a Roman disciplinary measure where the general would punish an extremely disobedient army by lining the soldiers up in rows of 10 and forcing them to draw straws. The guy who drew the shortest got beaten to death by the other 9. It was an extreme punishment and very rarely meted out even in Republican times.

    I also cringe every time I hear "decimate" used to refer to nearly complete annihilation of something, but to be fair the word has actually never been used correctly in English. If you lose 1/10th of your army to an opposing army that's still not really decimation, it would be if you did it to your own army though :P

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I don't think that list is all to correct. The Zandalari is the central hub of all Troll civilization. Notice how many of the tribes are represented in the Kun'lai Invasion in the north. And then in the Mogu'shan Vaults raid.

    And the way you liberally use "wiped-out" is saddening. The Gurubashi, Amani, Farraki, Drakkari are all doing fine. It really depends on if these tribes have some stake on Zandalar. This is very similar to how many tribes of Orcs have stake in Orgrimmar, and Tauren tribes have stake in Thunderbluff.

    There may be a large portion who have fallen to outside influences, but those that are attacking Pandaria don't seem to have noticed.
    They're attacking Pandaria because they're running out of options. The Zandalari's home was destroyed, the attempts to retake the homes of the Gurubashi, Amani, and Farraki tribes failed when we defeated them in Cataclysm, and the Drakkari numbers were severely crippled by the Scourge and the Argent Crusade in Northrend. They're turning to the Mogu in desperation to help them claim a new home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    If Blizzard need more trolls for anything, they can just do what they've always done: add more tribes from nowhere.
    I don't understand. Aside from the Drakkari in Wrath of the Lich King, which tribes were added out of nowhere post-Vanilla?

  20. #20
    I believe the Zandalari have taken in a few trolls from different tribes, having both Amani and Gurubashi sided with them with the troll dungeons of 4.1

    depends on how big a land mass the Zandalari have, we could see a few troll tribes still in existence

    however the zul'drak ice trolls are gone, too bad, their loa's were cool
    I see Stupid people!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •