Poll: Would you play this MMO?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsagget View Post
    Seems to RPG-ish, I like my mmo's being mmo's
    you know that almost all mmo's have rpg tied to the end right? MMORPG? even if you play wow your still playing an RPG. if anything he is combining ideas from darkfall, wow, and a few other mmorpgs. hell even some things from SWG are in there

10+ Year Old Account
    As opposed to leveling your character and doing any kind of repeatable content? :P
    I don't like the current MMO format either.

Of course the obvious problem with any kind of system where you level by performing an action makes you feel like you need to grind it asap, but that's true for character levels as well. On the other hand, this way you can pick and choose which abilities you like, and by playing with a specific style, you further evolve down that path. For example, a mage that casts only fire spells will slowly unlock more interesting fire spells, or something like that.
    I agree with the "play what you like will unlock more things you like" phylosophy, but I'm afraid of how much you have to play to unlock them, because it seems that you want to give the player the feeling of learning, and learning in real life is a long term boring process.

As far as PvE players depending on PvP players are concerned, well I guess "deal with it".
    Being punished for other player's mistakes is a bad design, no matter if it is a MMO or not.

Well I don't think it'll be something like "renting" for a specific rate over time. More like, you buy an upgrade for your house, and you get a permanent defensive upgrade. If the structures and housing are going to be persistent and destructible, there must be some way to defend it other than staying camped on top of it 24/7.
    It reduces the problem, it doesn't solve it. The less time I spend logged on to protect my assets, the more exposed they are, the more likely they are to be destroyed.

Ok if you play 1 hour or half an hour per session sure... but I don't think mmos are for you then, right?
    Time never should be more important than player skill. If you are a better player than I am, but I have more free than you do, how is it fair that I have access to more content than you do? It isn't.

Sure skipping around the map instantly is convenient, but is it really needed?
    The question is exactly the opposite. How the game benefits from making players spend time traveling from one place to another rather than have a waypoint/teleport system?

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 03:26 PM ----------

The takeaway is just this: Designing MMORPGs is a lot harder than most of us would give it credit for.
    I would say that the MMORPG concept has more flaws than most of us are willing to accept.

10+ Year Old Account
    im sure there is a market for this game, the folks in this forum are more interested in what and how WoW works or could be improved this is a little severe. I would try it out, but with the tediousness of the micro leveling and active abilities it may make it hard to get lots of people into this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I would say that the MMORPG concept has more flaws than most of us are willing to accept.
    That's the truth, but certain inefficient systems are so deeply ingrained in the MMORPG concept because they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    The question is exactly the opposite. How the game benefits from making players spend time traveling from one place to another rather than have a waypoint/teleport system?
    Well, if you can insta travel around the world, for one thing it trivializes trading as a gameplay feature. Not to mention that you might miss a lot of world content by skipping past it. Really though I don't like fast traveling because it kills immersion.

It reduces the problem, it doesn't solve it. The less time I spend logged on to protect my assets, the more exposed they are, the more likely they are to be destroyed.
    I can't really think of another solution other than making the player structures non-attackable but that leaves a ton of other problems, such as people tagging desirable areas with buildings and you not being able to do anything about it. I mean, alternatively, if you can't afford to defend the stuff that belongs to you then don't take the risk in the first place? You could join a guild and build in an area that is under their protection for example.