Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Would you like a reboot of WoW?

I quit playing about a month ago after 7 years of playing, never cancelled account once. For me it was the Homogenization of the game paired with the lost epic feeling. I am sure many really enjoy MOP, so perhaps this thread isn't for you.

I would like to see the following happen in a reboot:

1. keep some of the quality of life aspects in the game currently but in general, many of the milestones for your character should mean something.

2. There should be a tiered raid system (BC) You go as far as you can, not everyone may see the last tier content. No heroic bosses re-hashed. Yeah yeah I know.

3. Homogenization is so in your face now. Everything blends together. A rogue should feel like a rogue, now every class "has" to heal itself.

4. A reboot should include damage normalization. Things are getting way out of hand.

A reboot would include what for you? This isn't a wow hate post. If Blizzard said we want to shake things up next expansion as in everything is on the table for a possible change, what would be the 2-3 things for you that is imperative?

Actually, let's just have everyone name 2 things, just 2 things but they would be the most important for you. Do not complain about the poster's above you regarding their choices. Just focus on what you want to see (2) and why. So if I had to pick 2.

1. Raid tiers - no heroic bosses

2. Re-evaluate the classes - only a healer should be able to heal for example.

***** - See these stars? I have to put this here because people do not read the fucking post and insist that the poster above them is wrong and they are right. This isn't that sort of post so go somewhere else if you do not have the capacity to join in on an adult conversation.
    Last edited by Grogo; 2012-10-31 at 07:21 PM.

Go play on a BC private server.

Also get off my damn lawn.

For the topic?

1. Keep things the way they are
    2. Get rid of old players with rose colored glasses. Wow will never be new and fresh again. Its gone. Get over it.

I'm a little puzzled by your opposition to non-healers having healing spells. Recuperate for example is at best a stopgap measure in raids and only heals a small fraction of what a dedicated healer will. If a Rogue is getting most of their healing from recuperate, they are probably taking virtually no damage anyways.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

1. Snazzy new graphics/character customisation system
    2. Free-to-play

I may not have understood the question. Do we want WoW 2 as a completely fresh game which goes back to the start of WoW in the lore sense, but with modern day MMO design, or do we just want to go back into THE PAST.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2012-10-31 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned (even though I'm rather enjoying MoP thus far).

I remember (and actually preferred) when I made my first toon--a warrior--and being forced to level First Aid while leveling because aside from healing pots, I had absolutely no self healing at all. Then fast forward to MoP, my warrior rarely falls below 75% health while questing. It's just mindless grinding now. No challenge.

I'd like to see tiered BC-esque raiding again. I'd also like to see dungeons go back to how they were in BC where you actually had to plan out pulls and use CC. There was a bit of that at the start of cataclysm (which I was really happy about) but then it disappeared as soon as everyone got better gear.

Speaking of gear, in BC and vanilla, there was usually a sense of accomplishment when you downed a hard boss or got a piece of gear that you had been after for weeks/months. Nowadays there's none of that sense of accomplishment. Now, it's finishing a raid as quickly as you can on your main so you can complete the lockouts on your alts before the reset. One thing I hate about this new expansion is how loot automatically decided for you, rather than actually seeing something drop and having to compete against other people for something (which added to the sense of accomplishment when you won).

On the other hand, there have been quite a few things that the newer expansions have improved upon or added. Currency tabs, mount and pet journals, various UI improvements, etc.

I feel that any reboot, if there was one, should incorporate these improvements with things that were mentioned above.

/takes off rose-tinted glasses

But seriously, I've resigned myself to the fact that the new fresh feeling of wow disappeared for me when Wrath came out. I've more or less accepted it too, because the old wow is never coming back and it does me no good to dwell on the past.
    Last edited by Raenas; 2012-10-31 at 04:38 PM.
    @dA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleuh
    Since the invention of the internet, the Earth`s rotation has been solely propelled by english teachers turning in their graves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    I'm a little puzzled by your opposition to non-healers having healing spells.
    What's the point of having dedicated healers, when folks can heal about 1/3 to 1/2 of their health on their own with their abilities (not using anything else)?

As WoW continues down that course, the game in fact is turning more and more into a FPS game. Only thing next that is needed is medkits and rezzers...presto, BF3.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelreth View Post
    Go play on a BC private server.

Also get off my damn lawn.

For the topic?

1. Keep things the way they are
    2. Get rid of old players with rose colored glasses. Wow will never be new and fresh again. Its gone. Get over it.
    A bit harsh, don't you think?
    Where did he claimed Vanilla WoW was the best thing ever?

Seriously, people should take opinions different from their own, with a grain of salt, and not jump right away with replies such as "get off my lawn", "go play a private server", or the already old, tiring cliché "rose colored glasses". Saying those kind of remarks doesn't make you look cool, and doesn't contribute to the topic.
    Grogo's opinion was not a personal attack directed to you. Get a grip.

On topic, I agree with OP points, except perhaps with #2- Hybrids can't heal. Hybrid healing should be toned down a bit, yes, but not to the point of being nullified.
    And #1-No Heroic bosses - I think heroic bosses should exist. They give extra flavour, and challenge to the game. I'm thinking about Ulduar's Algalon, here. Something with his characteristics, few attempts per week, added challenge, and exclusive rewards, are perks that give extra interest to the raiding scene.

No more leveling, make ability to do raids based on progression of the previous one, attunements, and reputations. Make all the raids the for the same levels, that way none of them are obselete. That way when you hit the max level, you start in dungeon 1, then when you finish that can move to dungeon 2, and so on.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not in a life time, I will not part with my 7+ years of work via my account. If their is no sudden someway to upload that data to this so called ''Reboot'' then no of course not.

I agree with the damage normalisation mostly. These days it's like "110k crit? is that good? no idea" sort of feeling for me

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabb View Post
    I agree with the damage normalisation mostly. These days it's like "110k crit? is that good? no idea" sort of feeling for me
    Is it hard to research such things? Their just numbers of course and I'm actually baffled and awe'd why big numbers are such... scary things in the first place to some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    What's the point of having dedicated healers, when folks can heal about 1/3 to 1/2 of their health on their own with their abilities (not using anything else)?

As WoW continues down that course, the game in fact is turning more and more into a FPS game. Only thing next that is needed is medkits and rezzers...presto, BF3.
    first, i've never seen a class that wasn't a dedicated healer heal himself even remotely close to a dedicated healer with the exception of maybe an ele shaman/balance druid, second if a dps is really stopping to heal himself then the healers aren't doing a very good job at what IS their job, to heal the raid/tanks which also takes away from the DPS's jobs to dps. and in this kind of game if you put any of the classes with self heals in charge of healing themselves they would be dead before the 5 minute mark and raids would constantly wipe because we all know a majority of dps out there just plain don't have battlefield awareness. the game was designed so that while some classes have self heals to ease the burden of some damage from the healers(recuperate, second wind, healthstones) the raids would still ultimately fail without true dedicated healers. such a concept only works in guild wars 2. so there's my argument to yours

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Is it hard to research such things? Their just numbers of course and I'm actually baffled and awe'd why big numbers are such... scary things in the first place to some of you.
    No, it's not. But that wasn't my point. And no, i'm not scared of numbers. But thanks for your reply

10+ Year Old Account
    4. A reboot should include damage normalization. Things are getting way out of hand.

This sounds like a horrible idea.

I would not like to see a reboot. That is like taking 10 steps backwards imho. I believe that a majority of the changes made are for the better. Yes, some things I don't like, but nothing that really needs a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    2. Free-to-play
    Please god, no. You know how many idiots are in the game currently? Multiply that by thousands and that's what you get with F2P.

Personally I think WoW is in a good spot, could be tuned better and stop making everything easy mode for ranged (pve specifically), but it's pretty good - I mean, they even nerfed Mages!

The TBC model for raiding (specifically attunements) were just plain stupid. World of Stuncraft is over, and whilst they are making a lot of classes seem similar, that's what happens when people cry balance.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-10-31 at 05:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only 'reboot' that I would support is one that is essentially an infrastructural update with no discontinuity in terms of story or battle.net accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I quit playing about a month ago but I want X anyway
    respectfully, if you have already quit, you already voted,.. you dont get to decide what happens to the rest of us.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2012-10-31 at 05:23 PM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

There are some potential things about a reboot that I would like. You managed to list nothing but things I wouldn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Raenas View Post
    I remember (and actually preferred) when I made my first toon--a warrior--and being forced to level First Aid while leveling because aside from healing pots, I had absolutely no self healing at all. Then fast forward to MoP, my warrior rarely falls below 75% health while questing. It's just mindless grinding now. No challenge.
    I never found forced downtime challenging. I just found it tedious, annoying, and time consuming.

One thing I hate about this new expansion is how loot automatically decided for you, rather than actually seeing something drop and having to compete against other people for something (which added to the sense of accomplishment when you won).
    The auto-loot only happens in LFR and on world bosses. In both cases, having players compete against each other is a bad idea and leads to rage and drama.