Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Portland, Maine. Small city, good restaurants and community, it's a nice place to live.

Omaha's a decent size city, it's not too big, and not too small. The Enola Gay was built here, which was the plane that dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, so I guess that's pretty significant. Omaha is also home to the Strategic Air Command Museum, Offutt Air Force Base (U.S. HQ for STRATCOM), the College World Series (baseball), and one of the largest zoos in the United States, Henry Doorly Zoo.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-10-31 at 09:21 PM.

Hard to say. I live in three cities.

Town I spent my childhood (Oberhausen): Shithole. Nothing ever happens over there. Nobody cares about us. Like 99% of the world knows every neighboring city, but not ours.

Town I was born in (Zadar): Awsome during the summer. It's a city next to the adriatic ocean with many nice beaches and places in general to go. Clubbing is also awsome here. Not so cool during winter. Empty city, not much to do besides drinking and smoking. I visit it every summer and pretty much whenever I have a bit more free time.

Town I study in (Groningen): Great town. Awsome party town but with very shitty weather. Young people, great infrastructure and a small city centre but with everything you would wish for. Safe, beatuiful and cheap drinks. Too bad I just don't see myself living there forever.

I live in a small town in WI near the MN border. Id rate it a 6-7 out of 10. Not alot of crime, pretty clean, nice view, altho its about 30 minutes from any food/entertainment besides the bars/sit-in restaurants.

10+ Year Old Account
    San Jose, CA

Home of:

and

and

10th largest city in the US, 45 minutes from San Francisco, 30 minutes for great surfing beaches, 10 minutes from redwood forests in mountains, 1.5 hours from Wine Country, 3 hours from Yosemite, with easy access to fresh fruits and veggies from the Central Valley all year, and perfect weather all the time. It's a great place to live, if you can afford it.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-10-31 at 09:53 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I live in Zagreb (ignore the weird name, it's even weird to us if we really think about it), the capital of Croatia. One of the thing that amazes me about the city is the public transport. The city itself (not counting the metropolitan area) has about 800 000 people and the tram lines carry about 560 000 people a day. I board one of these beauties 4+ times a day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORZP6bGJo0o

There are 250 of them running at any given time (excluding the 23:00-06:00 period) and there are enough of them that there's one of every tram line (16 of them in total) going every 7 minutes or so on any station corresponding to that line (usually stations share 2-4 lines so you have a tram going like every 2-5 minutes).

Besides that, i like the baroque look of the city:

http://www.lets-go.com.hr/wp-content/gallery/hrvatska/zagreb/zagreb4.jpg

http://www.gdje.hr/wp-content/files_mf/8446.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ornji_grad.jpg
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...41jpgIlica.jpg
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-01 at 01:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My city is consistently rated "Safest City in America." However, it's uber religious and conservative, so I give it a 7/10 instead of a 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I live in Zagreb
    Except the fact that people who dont live in Zagreb, but in its outskirts like me (Sesvetska Sela), going to Zagreb without a car is utterly impossible if not by cab.
    The public transport in Zagreb is awsome. Too bad they ignored everything that lives after of Dubec.

Cab is expensive, Busses do not drive at night and the train doesnt drive to Sesvete after midnight.

The city/town I live in can best be described as lagom - not too small and not too big.

There is enough to do to keep most people entertained every day of the week, good food, nice bars, concerts, sports events etc... but it's still small enough to walk/bike around as long as you don't live well far out from the city center.

As far as computer games goes, Dice(Battlefield) was founded here, and Dice-EA just sat up a new studio, not sure what games they will work on though.

Used to be proper blue colar city. Volvo is still the biggest employerer as far as I know, but the manufacturing industries are gradually getting replaced by high tech ones, the medical industry in particular is strong, around 300 companies in the region, AstraZeneca and Nobel Biocare for example.

The most famous company coming out from Gothenburg would be Volvo I guess.

It's a decent place to live. 6-7/10.

New York Times

Published: October 5, 2012

THE industrial port city of Gothenburg, on Sweden’s west coast, has little of the glamour that graces the country’s capital, Stockholm. But this once resolutely working-class city is nevertheless making a name for itself as a new hive of the creative arts, with its homegrown fashion labels and upstart indie bands, its rollicking craft beer bars and alternative arts scene. Gothenburg (Goteborg in Swedish) is also the fitting host to Scandinavia’s leading film festival and hugely popular music festivals, including Summerburst and Way Out West. These days, the cool cultural revival happening in Sweden’s second-largest city appears well under way.

Then you got these quaint little islands speckled out by the sea proper.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Weimar, Texas, population 2150, nearest town with a population over 10k is about an hour away and I don't even live in town, so I guess you would call it the middle of no where.

thats where I am anyways, it could also be san jose california or south bend indiana depending on what you intended with the question.
    Last edited by goobernoob; 2012-11-01 at 02:13 AM.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Wait are we supposed to post where we were born? or where we grew up? I was born in Detroit so I guess a major city if we're going by that, but I grew up in Auburn Hills, so a smaller city if you're asking for that.
    That coo........there is a known celebrity that is from * Battle Creek * he is a famous wrestler and i am a huge fans from the old ECW day if you don't follow wrestling his name is RVD

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    My city is consistently rated "Safest City in America." However, it's uber religious and conservative, so I give it a 7/10 instead of a 9/10.
    interesting, going by these forums you would think a place filled with such people would be extremely violent
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

I'd have to rate Seattle about a 9/10. It is pretty nice... good, but not the best city I've been to.

I move around a lot, been in both small towns and big cities, lived in Europe, Japan, and the US. Currently in San Antonio. I like larger cities. But if the economy was better, I'd probably move to Santa Marinela, Italy. Small town, hour train ride to Rome, and extremely nice people.

10+ Year Old Account
    The city I live in is a very average city. Not huge but definitely not small (~1.5m people when combining the surrounding suburbs).
    @dA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleuh
    Since the invention of the internet, the Earth`s rotation has been solely propelled by english teachers turning in their graves.

The area I live in (DuBios, named after John DuBois who started a large logging company in the area) has ten thousand people in the main "city" which has the mall, and all the various other stores. Then there are dozens of smaller towns around it, ranging from a few dozen people, to a few thousand.

Punxsutawney, that place with the groundhog, is about half an hour away. We used to have a brewery, the Dubios Brewery that was supposedly good, but it shut down a long time ago. There was also some pretty big glass factory that shutdown, and while it was operational, dumped all of the toxic sludge they produced into our various swamps, marshes, and fields. Some of those fields had playgrounds built nearby, or on top of the dump sites.

You can't walk three feet without hitting a tree, unless you're indoors. As I said, we have a lot of swamps, and marshes in the area. We also have quite a few rivers, lakes, ponds, creeks, streams, and springs. We have quite a lot of wildlife, especially white tailed deer, and the nearby Elk County is widely known for it's abundance of elk. Hunters come from all over to hunt there, and in a few of the smaller towns, the elk are so used to people, they'll stick their heads into cars for food.

We usually have long winters, that can range from anywhere in the October to June range. We get quite a bit of snow, and have plenty of days of subzero temperatures. This is caused, in part, by our elevation in the Appalachian mountains, and our proximity to the great lakes. However, last winter was extremely mild, and this year seems like it'll be rather mild compared to the winter of '09 and '10, where we had multiple whiteouts and entire weeks of subzero temperatures.

Overall, the architecture is rather dull. Many of the homes and various other buildings, are around one hundred years old. Wood burning furnaces are common, however, most houses do have a form of modern heating. We experienced our peak population and economy in the early 1900s due to mining, but are currently in a period of growth. Many new buildings, including hotels, houses, and the likes are being built due to this.

We have quite a large number of active railroad tracks, and a (in my opinion) somewhat poorly designed set of roads, which can cause traffic issues in the morning and once school or work are out. Due to this, we have a very large number of fire halls, but only two police departments, which has caused issues in the past. There is an extremely heavy drug culture in the area, and most people aren't ashamed to admit it. It's very easy to find somebody to sell you just about any drug, though meth and weed are the two most common ones in the area.

All things considered, I'd say it's a very nice area. However, I personally don't enjoy it here. Unless you go to bars, or the random house parties (which nearly always contain alcohol and/or drugs), there really isn't anything to do. We have a movie theater, but nobody really goes to hangout or meet people. I will admit, there is something special about sitting in your kitchen, staring out the sliding glass doors, and watching the wildlife. The area is also extremely beautiful in Autumn, thanks to all of the forests and rolling hills. Winter, in my opinion, is similarly beautiful.

I give it a 6/10. Wow, didn't really expect to type up a wall of text. Well, have it anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in a little podunk mill town out in the middle of nowhere in western Maine. Our biggest claim to fame is a paper mill that smells like shit on cloudy days.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Does it only sound like that, or are the conditions there really that bad? I thought Romania went a good deal forward in recent times (I don't actually know much about the country though, which is why I'm asking).
    No, Romania hasn't gone forward. We got fast internet and a lot of companies who came in for cheap labour but... that's it.

The center of the capital is made to look nice, paved streets, nice signs, planted flowers etc. But this is all for the show, so when the EU parlamentaries come around, they drive them around there. In general you can clearly see which are the most important places, because those are paved and look nice.

In regards to conditions themselves, they really are. At the edge of the town, the capital, you don't feel like in a town, you feel like in a village in the country, unpaved streets or paved with rocks and sand, no sewage, electricity missing from some houses and the toilet in the backyard as that traditional old style toilet, as in a dug hole in the ground with s shack on it. And this is the capital, you can imagine how actual villages in the country look like.

Romania has improved, but it's so little improvement it's just sad. 20 years ago whenever someone said Romania sucks, someone always said "well at least we're still better then Bulgaria". This was a means to jab at bulgarians since they had it much worse then us. Nowadays, bulgarians have gone over us in quality of life and a bunch of other aspects too.

In Romania corruption is so big and rampart that it's hard to actually go forward. As you might know, the EU gives some few billions of euros to improve, but those are conditioned by some things to make them fraud free. To give you an example, in 2011, Poland absorbed 100% of all the funds given to them... Romania absorbed 2%. And it's not because we don't need them... but because the jerks can't scam the EU as good as they can the people from the country, so they can't get those funds.
    To give you an example, one chair in the House of People when they renovated the deputees area costed almost 4.000 euros. It's a normal chair, sure, it has leather on it, but it's not crocodile leather, it's normal leather... 4000 euros? come on.

So, in Romania it's not that we don't want to improve. It's that those in power are so corrupt it's kind of hard... and the fact that the population is uneducated and thus doesn't know their rights or doesn't care sure doesn't help.

A good town that's started to take itself maybe a little too seriously in recent years.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    Manchester, UK.

I've been to many cities in the world, the only one that compares is New York. It's not pretentious, it's real.