Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Thanks Synthaxx, both are sold by dream seller as well which is nice. I was reading about the importing customs stuff you were speaking about, does that apply only to UK? Cause for US, on that ebay page I see they ship through fedex 3-5 days right to your door. I got this from the ebay listing:

CUSTOMS & DUTIES
    With FedEx and DHL shipping, under-valuing is not possible. According to FedEx and DHL shipping policy, only a real price must be declared. Therefore, even though send a message to us with asking for under-valuing, if a product will be shipped out via FedEx and DHL, we can't do under-valuing, and custom taxes will be levied on buyer's side. Please be aware of this notification.

We are not responsible any applicable customs charge, taxes and duties.
    Last edited by ShadowTitan; 2012-11-18 at 07:19 PM.
    Sig by Listrata

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTitan View Post
    Thanks Synthaxx, both are sold by dream seller as well which is nice. I was reading about the importing customs stuff you were speaking about, does that apply only to UK? Cause for US, on that ebay page I see they ship through fedex 3-5 days right to your door.
    The US typically has 5% import tax, but since it's from South Korea, there's none. It seems rather hit and miss for other countries as i've read some people in the UK getting a fee while others like me never received anything of the sort.
    [...]

Sounds good, I'm gonna order one soon. I'm a noob when it comes to resolutions, but in videos in browsers, fullscreen mode will stretch onto the entire screen and no black bars right?
    Sig by Listrata

But but but....

On Amazon you can get 27" LED monitor for pretty much under £200 anyway, and a nice Samsung one for about £220 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-T27B...267414&sr=8-11

So why pay £250 for an imported, nameless brand 27" monitor from South Korea?

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    for IPS screen and 1440p resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    But but but....

On Amazon you can get 27" LED monitor for pretty much under £200 anyway, and a nice Samsung one for about £220 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-T27B...267414&sr=8-11

So why pay £250 for an imported, nameless brand 27" monitor from South Korea?
    That one is 1920x1080, the korean ones are 2560x1440. Aaaaand IPS.
    Sig by Listrata

That one is 1920x1080, the korean ones are 2560x1440. Aaaaand IPS.
    Ah I see.

Hmm I can't even find a 2560x1440 on Amazon for a price compare >.>;

Yeah for "quality" 2560x1440 screens you're looking at paying $600 and upwards.
    Sig by Listrata

Titan
    Sounds good, I'm gonna order one soon. I'm a noob when it comes to resolutions, but in videos in browsers, fullscreen mode will stretch onto the entire screen and no black bars right?
    Correct. It's only if you start working with different resolutions outside 2560x1440 that it looks awful. If you do go to a lower resolution, it'll still support said resolution, but as with all LCD and flat panel screens, it looks blurry and less than ideal. This only applies to computers with compatible GPU's (almost every GPU does) and again, i can't say how it'd work with other devices with regards to scaling.

Black bars are mostly to do with the pixel aspect ratio of the video. Thankfully, 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 are the same ratio (1.77) so 1080p video stretches to fit.

Yeah for "quality" 2560x1440 screens you're looking at paying $600 and upwards.
    The cheapest i've found is £310. The cheapest "quality" one is £500. At <£200, these Korean imports would be difficult to make margins on (due to lack of extra features) but as a consumer, we just care about great deals so being patient is the only price that's a little unbearable
    [...]

So i might be able to sell my old monitor which doubles as a tv (via hdmi)

Im wondering if anyone has connected something via a hdmi -- dvi cable (tv/xbox/ps3 stuff like that)? And if it looks ok. If it does, than i can just get the cheapest one, otherwise im forced to get one with hdmi.
    Last edited by Zeara; 2012-11-20 at 04:30 PM.

Titan
    Just an update that i received the customs invoice this morning for a total of £48.60. That hurts, but it's still less than £240 for a monitor of such good quality and it wasn't entirely unexpected.
    [...]

Well my seller that I ordered from had no problem marking my shipment as "gift" and even asked me what value to put on the invoice. He ships with DHL so I dunno. Tax here is huge (~20-25% can't really remember.) from shipments outside of EU. When I ordered my 680 from ebay and it got here I needed to pay extra 150$ for them to give it to me.. But it still was like 100$ than getting it from retailers here.
    First self-built rig
    CPU:Intel i5-2500k|CPU Cooler: CM 212+ EVO
    MoBO:ASRock Extreme 4 z77|GPU:EVGA GTX 680
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb black|SSD: Crucial m4 64gb
    PSU: Corsair TX 750]

For a 1440p monitor, am I right in assuming I'll need a 4gb video card to be on the safe side with max settings in games such as BF3? Or does the 7970 GHz edition with 3GB ram cut it? The other card would be Evga 670 superclocked 4 gb version, and benchmarks shows reference 670 as better than the 7970 GHz edition for BF3 2560x1600:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=618

If that is the case, is the gigabyte model acceptable? (here)

It kind of looks like MSAA kills AMD performance more than NVIDIA.
    Last edited by Diesta; 2012-11-20 at 06:57 PM.

From a fast search, the 7970 GHz seems to better than the 670 (2 gb). I cant find a good 4 gb review, but that 4 gb might be gimped by the 256 mem bus. I mean it might have more ram, but the membus is still only 256.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-review-7.html

It is the asus matrix, but you get the idea i think.
    That gigabyte is not a GHz edition i think.
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/s...d-6874050.aspx
    That one is

And this is the gigabyte version
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/grafikkort/g...d-6941843.aspx
    Last edited by Zeara; 2012-11-20 at 10:55 PM.

Titan
    2GB is more than enough for BF3 at Ultra even at 1440p. In 64-player Strike at Karkand and Gulf of Oman, my maximum usage was 1562MB. Admittedly, i run without deferred AA and use SSAO instead of HBAO, but that's simply for the fact the FPS drops immensely regardless of resolution (GTX670). Not to mention, as this resolution, AA itself doesn't matter half as much, and AA Post covers up the areas that would otherwise look jaggy.

Even when playing recon and thus stationary more than most, i don't notice any areas that i'd consider smoothing out. I didn't actively look for them, but i didn't have any problems with thinking the movement of the trees was actually another sniper. At 1080p, that was a concern, but at 1440p, it's no longer a problem. And generally, i just didn't notice it. I used to notice it slightly while playing, but now i just don't.

The FPS drop from AA isn't related to a lack of VRAM, just that it's a heavy effect.

I unfortunately can't say moving up to a higher resolution improved accuracy or skill. I will say that the higher resolution DOES make microadjustments to your aim much easier. Having a switchable-DPI mouse helps and it's something you should expect to have for recon, but when it comes to resolution, 1440p just makes those adjustments much easier, and i can now comfortably snipe at 1800 DPI as opposed to the 400 DPI i needed to manage similar shots before. This means i don't ever have to switch from 1800 even for non-recon fighting.

My average FPS was somewhere in the low 50's, and it was still exceptionally smooth. I don't think i ever saw it drop below 43 FPS at any point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    From a fast search, the 7970 GHz seems to better than the 670 (2 gb). I cant find a good 4 gb review, but that 4 gb might be gimped by the 256 mem bus. I mean it might have more ram, but the membus is still only 256.

That one is

The general consensus was that the 7970 was more expensive than the 670 and only had a very slight lead. In the end, it is more about price and brand preference though as they're pretty similar in all regards.
    [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post

That one is

Those 7970 are pretty close to the price of the evga 670, which one would you choose ? I'd imagine the Gigabyte one would be the best choice, as I've heard they have excellent cooling, and it's slightly higher clocked, at 1100MHz compared to the sapphire at 1050MHz

But it (Gigabyte) only has one DVI port, and I'd like 2, or would I have no problems using a DVI -> HDMI adapter for either the Achieva 1440p screen I'm buying, or my BenQ 1080p?

In which case, I'd also need an adapter.
    Last edited by Diesta; 2012-11-21 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post

The general consensus was that the 7970 was more expensive than the 670 and only had a very slight lead. In the end, it is more about price and brand preference though as they're pretty similar in all regards.
    We are talking about the GHz edition tho. Which should pull out ahead. But you are right, it all depends on pricing during this generation.

As for Diesta. Depending on what 1440p screen you are buying, they only use dual DVI link cables. So the HDMI is than for the 1080p screen. Im not sure if it works or not.
    However, sapphire does add a lot of extra cables. My 7970 came with an active display to dvi cable. (Or i think it is active anyway, i should have atleast no issues putting 3 screens onto it)

As far as chosing, im a bit more AMD oriented this generation. But i think the 384 membus will help a bit more. Just look at some reviews and pick based on that and the pricing of the cards.

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Just an update that i received the customs invoice this morning for a total of £48.60. That hurts, but it's still less than £240 for a monitor of such good quality and it wasn't entirely unexpected.
    yeah, i got one of these as well, also has anybody got some buzzing noise from their monitors?
    i5-3570k | ASUS 670DCii-TOP | ASUS-P8Z77 | 8GB corsair vengeance | 2TB WD Caviar black

BF3 is tailor made for Nvidia. For most other games at 1440p+ HD7970 is faster than GTX670. I went from a Gigabyte GTX670 WF3 (OCed on a GTX680 PCB) to a vanilla Sapphire HD7970 and noticed a nice improvement. HD7970 also overclocks better. Any HD7970 is pretty much guaranteed to run 1125/1575.

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    BF3 is tailor made for Nvidia. For most other games at 1440p+ HD7970 is faster than GTX670. I went from a Gigabyte GTX670 WF3 (OCed on a GTX680 PCB) to a vanilla Sapphire HD7970 and noticed a nice improvement. HD7970 also overclocks better. Any HD7970 is pretty much guaranteed to run 1125/1575.
    That is an advantage that ATI have. NVIDIA switched to their "Boost" design with this generation, which makes overclocking them a lot of hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by detri View Post
    yeah, i got one of these as well, also has anybody got some buzzing noise from their monitors?
    I've not heard anything. I'd assume it to be a loose power connector, either the one you plug in or something internal. The worst i've had have been the occasional "flicker" that doesn't even last long enough for me to notice it properly. Blink and i'd miss it, and it's never interrupted my focus.
    [...]