Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    These monitors are built for Korean net cafes. The ebay sellers actually make a pretty decent profit on it. The manufacturer buys the A- panels from LG and slap in enough electronics into it to make it work. That said though picture quality is quite good and most issues are with backlight bleed. I would get one if I didn't have 30" already. For those buying it don't get the tempered glass models or anything "fancy" as those have much higher rate of defects considering the quality of manufacturing isn't up to par with name-brands.
    Well yeah, as Synthaxx put it these are the most basic of the basic, only whatever you need and nothing else.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Well yeah, as Synthaxx put it these are the most basic of the basic, only whatever you need and nothing else.
    I wasn't talking about that. There are different variations of these LCDs. Notably some have tempered glass which you DON'T want. If you want to buy one get the most basic version. Synthaxx only said the one he bought came with the basics...

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    The cheap Korean monitors are cheap because they use panels which are lower grade than big brands like Dell or Apple will allow for their branded products, essentially b-grade stuff that failed the quality check one way or another. It's entirely possible that just five or ten panels out of hundred are bad which caused the refusal and other 95 are fine, but it's also possible that 95 out of 100 were bad.

When you buy Dell Ultrasharp or Apple Cinemadisplay there is zero dead pixel warranty and maybe three year on-site repair, if you buy zero dead pixel monitor from Korean eBay sellers the price will go up by 50-100% and returning defective monitor for warranty if there is any will cost a lot of time and money.

And after all that negativity... I've been considering getting one too, but not enough extra cash on hand at the moment to roll a dice with it because even if I get perfect monitor, it would pretty much require swapping my current GTX560ti for a new card or face a big drop in fps.
    Are these no name Korean panels made by Samsung, LG, or a smaller player? I quite like my Dell UltraSharps, although sometimes you don't get a Samsung or LG panel. Pixel guarantee, free shipping, free warranty replacements, and built in USB hub, SD card reader, multiple video inputs, and high quality adjustable stand. You get quite a bit more for just a little more coin...

They are all LG LM270WQ1 aka the same panel in the Apple 27s. Dell 27s I believe use a slightly different variation but is more or less the same.

These monitors are built for Korean net cafes. The ebay sellers actually make a pretty decent profit on it. The manufacturer buys the A- panels from LG and slap in enough electronics into it to make it work. That said though picture quality is quite good and most issues are with backlight bleed. I would get one if I didn't have 30" already. For those buying it don't get the tempered glass models or anything "fancy" as those have much higher rate of defects considering the quality of manufacturing isn't up to par with name-brands.
    Ah, that would explain the price. I dare say they weren't made for export, but it's apparent they've realized they can make some pretty good markups by selling lots at much lower price to the west. I also agree on avoiding the tempered glass models. I've read nothing but bad things such as excessive dust, poor quality securing of the glass itself, etc.

I must say after using it for a few hours and pitching in some SC2, the colours are extremely vivid. Watching a replay of me+3AI vs 4AI and seeing a blue overlord, the colours really do stand out. I honestly didn't expect to be impressed by slightly more colourful... colours, but this has completely blown my mind.

Additional to that, the higher pixel density makes a very noticeable difference in the quality. It's like comparing a 720p screen with a 1080p screen, perhaps i'd even go as far as saying it's like stepping up from 640x480 to 1080p. From 1.5ft away, i can't see even the hint of individual pixels. Hell, i have to move 10" from the screen AND look extremely hard to be able to even see that. To make out individual pixels, i need to be within 6" of the screen, and even that's still difficult. Again, using SC2 as an example, the overall clarity is kicked up a notch compared to 1080p. It's difficult to explain, but there's just some level of extra clarity with it now.

Scrolling in and out of units and there's no visible ghosting. The response times are evidently very good (which as i think i said before, is down to the lack of the scalar and OSD).

Just before anyone asks, it takes approximately 3.5 seconds from pressing the power button at the back to the monitor switching on.

The backlight does bleed a little, almost making some parts look like they've got the "TN Effect" (e.g. wide angle negativity) even from the front, but it's only a slight variation in the overall appearance and is only visible when the screen is dark. I can verify that even from the very edge, you can still see what's on the screen. Of course it's not easy to make out details from across the center onwards, but it does indeed retain the quality you'd expect from IPS.

Oh, and yes, the model i got does allow you to lean the monitor back. It's actually very easy and smooth to do so, much moreso than ANY monitor i've ever used. I personally wouldn't lean it too far back unless there's a wall to support it as it's prone to tipping over if you happen to knock it by accident (or on purpose, but i'd hope no one is that masochistic or spontaneous). It's not a fault of the monitor's weight, but that the stand doesn't provide a whole lot of support behind it.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | Node.js Monkey | Supporter of error 418 (I'm a teapot)
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL, Python, JS + jQuery, HTML + CSS, Ruby, Node.js (+ Express & Socket.io)

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Mine was free. It cost me absolutely nothing listed as a shipping fee. £195 GBP all in, and that was just the list price of the item itself.
    That is sickenly cheap. I have heard about importing screens before but i didn't realise quite HOW cheap it was.

I currently have 4 or so dead pixels right in the center of my monitor, and have been looking at 30" etc monitors, but £1k+ is just too much to justify. £200 for a 27" is just ridiculous, cheaper than most 1080p monitors, and as I have lived with a black mark in the center of my screen for several months now (typically right on any NPC's face in most FPS games) then I think I could easily take my chances with possibly getting a few dead pixels and even if they are there - hopefully they aren't smack bang in the middle of the screen.

I wasn't talking about that. There are different variations of these LCDs. Notably some have tempered glass which you DON'T want. If you want to buy one get the most basic version. Synthaxx only said the one he bought came with the basics...
    Ahh my bad, I apologize.

@Synthaxx what was the model of the one that you bought? Since I'm considering getting one soonish I'd rather one that I've seen/heard about from a good source.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    @Synthaxx what was the model of the one that you bought? Since I'm considering getting one soonish I'd rather one that I've seen/heard about from a good source.
    Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite. They're all pretty similar but this was the only one i could find at under £200.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | Node.js Monkey | Supporter of error 418 (I'm a teapot)
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL, Python, JS + jQuery, HTML + CSS, Ruby, Node.js (+ Express & Socket.io)

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

I have a planar px2710mw monitor now, any idea how that would compare? I got it for 240$ USD and have been very happy so far. But my "primary" panel(the one i browse or watch netflix in while gaming) is a Dell SR2320L which looks nice but id like to replace to "match" the 27". I know that neither are IPS monitors and either way it would prolly be an upgrade. Also im running a 7850, would that be enough to not have significant lag?
    I5 3570k @4.4GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | CM Hyper 212 Evo | G. Skill Sniper 8gb 2133 | Sandisk Extreme 120gb | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 OC| Rosewill Future Mid Tower | Seasonic M12II 520W | Planar 27" + Dell 23" lcd monitors |

From what I've seen there are all sorts of drawbacks to using these cheapo IPS monitors, including but not limited to:
    * Some models constantly draw full power, even when in "standby" mode.
    * Poor color reproduction.
    * Dead pixels.

Basically, you're buying a budget monitor with a panel which wasn't good enough for other manufacturers and with electronics which are primarily designed to be cheap rather than good.
    I am the Kwisatz Haderach

Thinking of buying one these when I get paid next week. I currently have two 23" 1080p monitors and I would like to put the new one in the center as my main screen. I can then use the right one for video, the left one for browsing, and the big one for whatever I feel like.

my current monitor has a couple of dead pixels since I got it and I couldn't be arsed to RMA it, so I don't think I would be too bothered if one of these 27" had a couple either.

Was looking on ebay the other day and came across this one

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/CROSSOVER-NEW...t_22010wt_1163

Advertisment says its overclockable to 125 Hz. Altho i read somewhere (i think it was hardocp) that the scaler messes with the clock speeds.
    Still, it is the cheapest one with a scaler/HDMI, should you need one.

Well you can OC your monitor as well. Yep it sounds strange :P But actually you just make a custom resolution profile with increasing the refresh rate. A higher refresh rate would result in a higher pixelclock.

Buying this monitor just don't think about the dead pixels or you'll be obsessed.

Id go for the Yamakasi Catleap tbh which only costs around 300eur.

The monitor club -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/y...p-monitor-club

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    From what I've seen there are all sorts of drawbacks to using these cheapo IPS monitors, including but not limited to:
    * Some models constantly draw full power, even when in "standby" mode.
    * Poor color reproduction.
    * Dead pixels.

Basically, you're buying a budget monitor with a panel which wasn't good enough for other manufacturers and with electronics which are primarily designed to be cheap rather than good.
    The colours on these panels are excellent i've found. They're IPS, and colour is one of the strong selling points (it's also one of the reason it was made to "replace" TN). Although it's impossible to demonstrate, the colours in this screenshot that i took last night are extremely vivid; http://www.innuendo-eu.co.uk/PublicR...s/SC21440p.JPG

I mainly took that screenshot to try and demonstrate the extra clarity i mentioned in a previous response. You'll be able to see what i mean even on a large screen 1080p TV, but the colours unfortunately won't match what i'm seeing on my screen (and getting a photo of it won't solve the problem, even moreso when i'm limited to the camera on the iPad).

Dead pixels are a risk, but there's a possibility of this with every monitor. I'm quite confident they do test the monitors before shipping them.

I'm not sure about power usage during standby. A lot of power goes on backlighting (the inefficiencies in the light itself is the reason why higher backlight levels increases heat output from the screen). I've found that my screen remains extremely cool even with backlight at full. Speaking of which, i did discover that 2 more buttons on the back DO work, and they control the backlight. There's also another 2 buttons that are hooked up (evidenced by the flashing of the front LED when you press either of them), but they don't appear to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Well you can OC your monitor as well. Yep it sounds strange :P But actually you just make a custom resolution profile with increasing the refresh rate. A higher refresh rate would result in a higher pixelclock.

Buying this monitor just don't think about the dead pixels or you'll be obsessed.

Id go for the Yamakasi Catleap tbh which only costs around 300eur.

The monitor club -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/y...p-monitor-club
    I was asked last night whether there was any danger to overclocking a monitor. I couldn't answer as it's not something that's ever cropped up for me (even though i have been aware of it for 5-6 years now). Surely it's as "risky" as any sort of overclocking?

The colours on these panels are excellent i've found. They're IPS, and colour is one of the strong selling points (it's also one of the reason it was made to "replace" TN). Although it's impossible to demonstrate, the colours in this screenshot that i took last night are extremely vivid;
    Color problems in cheaper monitors isn't about best case or the worst case, but the uniformity. People who bought IPS panels when those cost 10x more than TN did it because they wanted the colors to be 100% uniform across whole screen in every single pixel in addition to IPS panels being able to produce wider range of printable colors and being possible to calibrate for specific printers.

For code development or gaming on big screen none of that matters though.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-11-08 at 05:10 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The colours on these panels are excellent i've found. They're IPS, and colour is one of the strong selling points (it's also one of the reason it was made to "replace" TN). Although it's impossible to demonstrate, the colours in this screenshot that i took last night are extremely vivid; http://www.innuendo-eu.co.uk/PublicR...s/SC21440p.JPG

I mainly took that screenshot to try and demonstrate the extra clarity i mentioned in a previous response. You'll be able to see what i mean even on a large screen 1080p TV, but the colours unfortunately won't match what i'm seeing on my screen (and getting a photo of it won't solve the problem, even moreso when i'm limited to the camera on the iPad).

Dead pixels are a risk, but there's a possibility of this with every monitor. I'm quite confident they do test the monitors before shipping them.

I'm not sure about power usage during standby. A lot of power goes on backlighting (the inefficiencies in the light itself is the reason why higher backlight levels increases heat output from the screen). I've found that my screen remains extremely cool even with backlight at full. Speaking of which, i did discover that 2 more buttons on the back DO work, and they control the backlight. There's also another 2 buttons that are hooked up (evidenced by the flashing of the front LED when you press either of them), but they don't appear to do anything.

I was asked last night whether there was any danger to overclocking a monitor. I couldn't answer as it's not something that's ever cropped up for me (even though i have been aware of it for 5-6 years now). Surely it's as "risky" as any sort of overclocking?
    IJust been reading and every website is telling something different.

I was playing awhile ago trying to use 2560x1440 on my monitor and recording it with fraps and switching back to my normal resolution to see what's the quality of 1440p. But I noticed you could increase the refresh rate so I've started to play with that aswell

Let me explain :P Check the pixel clock. My default is 60hz. This is basically how you oc it

S24A350HS 1920x1080 60HZ http://i.imgur.com/CGdKd.png
    S24A350HS 1920x1080 70HZ http://i.imgur.com/8HFSB.png

If you're interested to get more information really check out this topic http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/y...p-monitor-club

But once I've been reading that not every HDMI cable can do 120hz, so thats why you have to use dvi dual link cable (like the Benq xl240t 3D monitor).

Is this an example of the monitors we're speaking about? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-...-/110833856200 Only $319, so tempted to buy, then use my 24" 1920x1080 as a secondary monitor.
    Sig by Listrata

Yeah, that is one of them

Alright .. got 2 more questions:
    1. How common is dead pixel problem with the Achieva?
    2. I have a gtx 670 and an i5 3570k .. currently play on a 24" 1920x1080 all my games play fine @ 1920x1080 will I see a bIG performance hit @ 2560x1440 in games?
    Sig by Listrata

Bought one Crossover 27", 0 dead pixels and amazing quality. It was 400€ or so with taxes though.