Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxl View Post
    Wow, I'm very interested since I'm still sitting on a 1680x1050 monitor with a 680 :S

Is this a good one to get? And it's a S-IPS?
    Will surely get one as soon as I gather some money :P
    The catleap's are generally quite good, yes. What you'd be more concerned with is the seller. I'd much prefer to go with one of the sellers that others have mentioned (Dream-Seller, Red-cap, etc.. though Red-cap has sent out a few more DOA monitors than i'd be comfortable with, but it's still a rare occurence).

Quote Originally Posted by Teks View Post
    My perfect pixel QH270-lite should arrive tomorrow sometime, and today i finalized putting together my new build and got the last few drivers downloaded. I'm momentarily using a 20 year old Hyundai monitor (no but seriously, i don't even know what to call that thing) to simply set everything up and the little bit of sneakpeaking i had in SC2 blew me away. I might have a heartattack with 1440 resolution on an IPS. I come from playing a game like WoW on fair settings on a 5 year old iMac to 8x multisampling and everything on ultra. Hopefully someone knows this feeling.

Iiiiihhh, i'm so excited.
    I know the feeling. I felt like that the entire week i was waiting for mine. It's the sort of wait that makes you want to call them and go "Well if you could just skip past the airport and land a heli in my garden to deliver, that'd be great"

It's unfortunate your monitor turned out as it did, so just got to hope he's decent about it. Assuming i got it right, i think i saw the picture over on overclock.net, pretty crazy shatter on the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    also anyone got an idea what to do with an old monitor? (beyond the trash bin?)
    Dual-monitor? Honestly, i couldn't go back to a single monitor. I moved to dual over 5 years ago and have never looked back. On the main screen, it's always games or whatever i'm developing, or the browser, and on the other screen, it's all my random applications, but i move the browser over there when i game, and play in windowed mode a lot of the time. Having ventrilo on another screen is handy (for the chat window at the very least). I've actually got 3 screens, but that's only because 2 screens became too crowded at times. I could drop the third quite comfortably most of the time (but it's my TV, so i leave it hooked up for the sake of movies).

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I've got some dell 27" screens that measure 38 cm tall which are too large to fit a 5-screen portrait setup on my desk. If these were just a little bit shorter (~35cm) I think I could make it work. Can somebody measure from the top of the bezel to the bottom and give me the size size?

All of the measurements I can find on ebay include the bottom stand (~50cm) which isn't really that useful in my application.

I'm specifically interested in models that have a VESA mount -- the Yamakasi Catleap Q270 model doesn't look like it does, but the Achieva QH270 does (at least I can see screw holes in the back in the pictures).
    It's approximately 42CM from the top of the bezel to the bottom of the bezel on my Achieva QH270-Lite.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | NEW SITE: IOCube| Node.js Monkey | #Error418MasterRace
    Knows: Node.js, JS, JQuery, HTML, CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL, Ruby

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Well neither Dream-seller nor Red-Cap ships to my "3rd world country". So I guess I have no other choice. Can anyone explain difference between IPS and S-IPS in simple terms? I've recently bought 23" Asus ISP monitor and god damn those colors look way brighter, richer than my TN panel :S Is difference between IPS and S-IPS noticable?
    First self-built rig
    CPU:Intel i5-2500k|CPU Cooler: CM 212+ EVO
    MoBO:ASRock Extreme 4 z77|GPU:EVGA GTX 680
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb black|SSD: Crucial m4 64gb
    PSU: Corsair TX 750]

Wow chrome is being annoying, was showing double post, then it didn't so anyways.

The picture is off a bit but the dimensions are correct from desk to top of the monitor.

Ninjaxl, try hypermatrix on 120hz.net or another place that sells is overlordcomputer.com.
    Last edited by Loyrl; 2012-11-12 at 10:48 PM.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > PoE.HC > Wushu v
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

Thanks for the measurements - looks like they're still a bit too large but thanks all the same.
    That's a shame: 5x27" would make for an awesome work space within Christmas-gift budgets. Sadly I just don't have space in the nerd cave for a bigger desk.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

You can always remove the base and either make your own or improvise something to prop up the screens.

I have been running one of these monitors for about a year (yamakasi catleap). I replaced the plastic stand with a cheap monoprice one and its great!

I did end up with a stuck pixel but the seller refunded some of the cost to make it a great deal for me (300$ shipped after refund).

They are A- pannels that apple declined (they only use A+).

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    meh gotta sort some funding for it first (motor driving license, snowboarding also on to do list )
    Also in order to run games with maxed details (metro alike) it would require sli 670 instead of my single one i assume?

So anyway, I've got my money today and ordered it straight away!Chose a perfect pixel one because I think I'll be annoyed and sad if it does have some :S Will post pics on arrival!
    First self-built rig
    CPU:Intel i5-2500k|CPU Cooler: CM 212+ EVO
    MoBO:ASRock Extreme 4 z77|GPU:EVGA GTX 680
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb black|SSD: Crucial m4 64gb
    PSU: Corsair TX 750]

Ordered a second QH270-lite now that i have been refunded for the broken one. This time from Ta_Planet. If this monitor turns out to be faulty, i will buy the Asus PB278Q and be done with koreans. But yeah, fingers crossed this time around.

So if I decided to get the korean monitor on ebay where can I get a c plug converter?

Quote Originally Posted by azngamer101 View Post
    So if I decided to get the korean monitor on ebay where can I get a c plug converter?
    C Plug? Isn't that the US standard power socket? Mine was shipped with a 2-prong (presumably US) cable, even though i'm in the EU. The power block itself just takes a standard kettle lead, EXACTLY like the type you plug into your power supply, or the type you plug into most other monitors. Mine takes AC 230V 1.2A input (and outputs DC 24V 5A), but i've heard they're pretty universal. So, assuming you've got a kettle lead for your countries socket, you shouldn't have a problem.

If the one you get isn't compatible, there's many places that sell multivoltage adapters. Just a few weeks ago i bought a universal switching laptop adapter. No matter the input, it'd handle the correct voltage and amperage for the output regardless of the type of laptop it was plugged into. The only difference is that the connector that plugs into the monitor is 4-pin keyed, and looks extremely similar to 4-pin Mini-DIN S-Video (i.e. 2 of the pins are slightly wider apart than the other 2).
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | NEW SITE: IOCube| Node.js Monkey | #Error418MasterRace

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Ordered a second QH270-lite now that i have been refunded for the broken one. This time from Ta_Planet. If this monitor turns out to be faulty, i will buy the Asus PB278Q and be done with koreans. But yeah, fingers crossed this time around.
    I would have bought another from red-cap...at least you know if it is broken he will refund you. All the korean sellers package the LCDs in the same way ie the LCD box gets shipped without being double-boxed.

Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking about buying the very same monitor from Ta_Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    I would have bought another from red-cap...at least you know if it is broken he will refund you. All the korean sellers package the LCDs in the same way ie the LCD box gets shipped without being double-boxed.
    Yes, i suppose. But i got this one a bit cheaper and ta_planet has excellent reviews. What's done is done!

Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking about buying the very same monitor from Ta_Planet.
    Oh yeah, i will. Although when it comes to damage sustained during shipping i'm inclined to think it's a huge advantage to live in the states. Not sure if you do, but the shipping route is considerably shorter for americans from what i've seen. It's probably at my door on monday, so i have the weekend to prepare mentally for what may happen.

Stood in the Fire
    Microcenter has a 27" 2560x1440 monitor for 399 if you don't want to risk the chance with the Korean monitors:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...PS_LED_Monitor

Not sure if anyone knows this, i dont remember seeing an answer in the original oc.net post, but does anyone know the long term effects of overclocking your panel?

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | FT02
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei Wireless | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Microcenter has a 27" 2560x1440 monitor for 399 if you don't want to risk the chance with the Korean monitors:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...PS_LED_Monitor
    Yeah, these look very similar to what the Korean sellers offer. It's simply a case that people outside of the US can't get them without going down the Korean route and all the UK component suppliers i've spoken to are saying that these screens are simply too risky for them to warrant buying in bulk (e.g. cost of replacement, cost of returning faulty ones to Korea, and the "high failure rate").

One supplier which does sell a model similar to these cheap monitors in the UK said that "You get what you pay for", which was basically read as "We won't honor RMA or warranty on them even though we're legally supposed to". Considering it was almost twice as expensive as the cheapest Korean model AND that that specific supplier have given me nothing but problems in the past with previous RMA's (they only honor ones where they've been advised by the manufacturer of the product of a known fault), it's just much easier to go down the Ebay route.

In the US though, yeah, it'd be more suitable to perhaps buy one from a supplier you can trust on the simple basis of being able to return it unless you're really not worried about warranty or cost really is a limiting factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    In the US though, yeah, it'd be more suitable to perhaps buy one from a supplier you can trust on the simple basis of being able to return it unless you're really not worried about warranty or cost really is a limiting factor.
    Yes and no in my opinion. After looking at the typical shipping routes for americans it's obvious it's easier on the package. Most americans seem to report having their monitor arrive in 2 working days due to it basically being shipped directly between South Korea and USA. While for someone like me (who lives in Sweden) it goes through two cities in Korea, bounces around in China for what seems like forever > Koeln > Paris and finally it lands here. It's a lot more bumps along the road. I'm actually envious of the Americans in that sense. Still it's obviously a pain to return it if you need to no matter where you live.

What's the difference between this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shim...item4ab90f1888

and this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shim...-/220964269926

One is glass one is matte? Is that what IPSBS stands for?
    Sig by Listrata

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTitan View Post
    What's the difference between this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shim...item4ab90f1888

and this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shim...-/220964269926

One is glass one is matte? Is that what IPSBS stands for?
    From what i can find, IPSBS isn't a panel type, so i'd assume it's just the model number. From what i can find, all the monitors are glossy. It could also just stand for "Built-in Speakers" as one model has them while the other doesn't. They're pretty much the same except one has a tempered glass front (looks much nicer but potentially traps dust between it and the screen) and speakers and the other doesn't.

Yes and no in my opinion. After looking at the typical shipping routes for americans it's obvious it's easier on the package. Most americans seem to report having their monitor arrive in 2 working days due to it basically being shipped directly between South Korea and USA. While for someone like me (who lives in Sweden) it goes through two cities in Korea, bounces around in China for what seems like forever > Koeln > Paris and finally it lands here. It's a lot more bumps along the road. I'm actually envious of the Americans in that sense. Still it's obviously a pain to return it if you need to no matter where you live.
    The problems of living in Europe. Mine went through a similar route except with the addition of London Stanstead and then being driven up to the local depot in Sheffield (which is 160 miles). Living in America means it goes "off the edge of the map" across the North Pacific ocean straight to the west coast of America (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/world...rld_pol495.jpg). Being that they have a free trade agreement, there's little to no time spent with it in US customs.

Speaking of which, still nothing received from UK Customs regarding import so i'd say that i'm unlikely to have to pay an import fee after all.
    Last edited by Synthaxx; 2012-11-18 at 06:44 PM.