Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Yes I've had some great numbers from EF blanketing, but this style is very boring to me, I love the arsenal in the holy pally spell book. Picking the perfect heal for the optimal moment. Standing in melee and blanketing EF just feels like cheesing the meters to me. Been there done that. I'm back on the SS train and prefer to feel like a holy pally casting heals. Id rather rank 30th using my full arsenal than top 5 with 2 spells.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhatred View Post
    I don't think you are fully grasping that this guy put out 100k+ hps only using 4 divine lights and 1 holy light probably without spending much of anything on mana the entire time.
    The point they're trying to make is that it is bad advice to give as a general healing style. It requires the support of your other healers to pick up the spikes and spot heals, and favours certain encounters much more than it does others. If you've got a druid who is insisting on blanket healing with rejuv and wild growth you're going to find yourself in a lot of bother on certain fights if you're insistent on only spamming EF the entire time.

One of the reasons the guy in the original post saw such amazing numbers is because of the mastery shields he was building on the raid that were intercepting damage before the shaman could heal it. In raid comps that lack a disc priest or another paladin making full use of mastery shields you'll see better numbers from the playstyle as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhatred View Post
    I don't think you are fully grasping that this guy put out 100k+ hps only using 4 divine lights and 1 holy light probably without spending much of anything on mana the entire time.
    And I don't think you are fully grasping that the reason he was able to push that healing is because he used only 4 Divine Lights. He wasn't focusing on his tanks or anyone in particular for that matter. He was keeping his blanket up and had that 100k spread out over ten people. In some cases its going to be necessary to heal a single person, presumably the tank. If you're busy spreading your blanket so that you can wave your epeen 100k HPS, there's a very real possibility that someone can die due to spike damage.

If you personally have the support of your fellow healers to be able to push this strategy, then by all means do it. Not everyone has that situation though, so telling people to "exploit it" until its nerfed may lead some players to make a poor decision due to not fully understanding information that is presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerfax View Post
    Not everyone has that situation though, so telling people to "exploit it" until its nerfed
    I think this is a telling point. If this becomes popular, to the extent of being mandatory (which is pretty much what is being said here), it's going to get nerfed. I don't think they want the standard Paladin playstyle to be EF blanketing. I certainly don't think it is intended that it can be so effective. EF got nerfed on BETA because of this (combined with CS for HP generation). I think, looking at those logs, it's only a matter of time before it happens again. I can see them throwing a target cap on it, ie max of 3 players, or knocking the hot duration down to 15 seconds.
    Last edited by Pasture; 2012-11-01 at 10:30 PM.

"What is EF?"

- every 25m holy paladin

(yes, I'm exaggerating/being sarcastic =p )

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    I think this is a telling point. If this becomes popular, to the extent of being mandatory (which is pretty much what is being said here), it's going to get nerfed. I don't think they want the standard Paladin playstyle to be EF blanketing. I certainly don't think it is intended that it can be so effective. EF got nerfed on BETA because of this (combined with CS for HP generation). I think, looking at those logs, it's only a matter of time before it happens again. I can see them throwing a target cap on it, ie max of 3 players, or knocking the hot duration down to 15 seconds.
    Or just let EF scale more aggressively with the number of Holy Power used. It is significantly harder to blanket the raid with 3pt EFs than it is with 1 point.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlolz View Post
    Or just let EF scale more aggressively with the number of Holy Power used. It is significantly harder to blanket the raid with 3pt EFs than it is with 1 point.
    When you use this strat, you HAVE to use 3pt EF though, otherwise your setbonus won't help you. Also keep in mind that this holy paladin is really geared.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerfax View Post
    And I don't think you are fully grasping that the reason he was able to push that healing is because he used only 4 Divine Lights. He wasn't focusing on his tanks or anyone in particular for that matter. He was keeping his blanket up and had that 100k spread out over ten people. In some cases its going to be necessary to heal a single person, presumably the tank. If you're busy spreading your blanket so that you can wave your epeen 100k HPS, there's a very real possibility that someone can die due to spike damage.

If you personally have the support of your fellow healers to be able to push this strategy, then by all means do it. Not everyone has that situation though, so telling people to "exploit it" until its nerfed may lead some players to make a poor decision due to not fully understanding information that is presented.
    All of the ticks get beaconed to the tank. He was healing the shit outta the tank, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RH exact View Post
    When you use this strat, you HAVE to use 3pt EF though, otherwise your setbonus won't help you. Also keep in mind that this holy paladin is really geared.
    But in his world, they're all 2 HP EFs anyway so it balances out, for the general population w/o the PvP set that idea would work well

I think people are overlooking that this is the "perfect storm" situation so to speak.

EF did really well but the meat of this strategy was abusing free healing from HP, and dropping spirit for stats that are going to increase healing done. He probably only needs haste to a soft cap for CS cooldown or EF extra tick as well. This leaves him free to stack mastery or even crit for infusion of light.

Others have pointed out how this strat is tailored well to the fight, but keep in mind its also 10 man where its a lot easier to not have hots over healed by the only other healer. This also relies on the pvp 4set bonus which isn't going to be available to everyone or be viable to wear in all situations.

The idea that he didn't use any mana because EF is "free" is wrong. CS costs 9k, HS is 9.6k and HR is 21.6k. I don't know if he used the 2 FoL and 4 DL on the beacon for HP. Assuming he didn't thats 1,973,400 mana spent for 120 HP. An average of 16,445 mana spent per HP or 49,335 per 3 point EF. He didn't spend any mana on EF and it was a very efficient spell, but mana was spent. He just used 21 seal of insight procs to make up for the loss of gemming spirit.

To me this more so speaks about our lack of any other useful glyphs and seal of insight being a relic of the past not balanced for fights where you can actually utilize it.

Deleted
    That kind of play style its really limited by so many things that i believe its not "op" and you cant really use it on a general fight. Garalon fight has some really unique elements that you don't really find in any other fight and that fit perfectly for that kind of play. I still think that style can be efficient in general but it has its limits. 10man its one of the limitation, this will be less efficient in a 25man; being in melee also its important since CS is one of the sources for HP and there are many fights that don't allow that; having 4-set pvp bonus its really big because its the thing that generates the most HP of all.

An a personal note i don't think this is how paladins should be played, but as long as its good i don't see why some of you won't do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosas View Post
    That kind of play style its really limited by so many things that i believe its not "op" and you cant really use it on a general fight. Garalon fight has some really unique elements that you don't really find in any other fight and that fit perfectly for that kind of play. I still think that style can be efficient in general but it has its limits. 10man its one of the limitation, this will be less efficient in a 25man; being in melee also its important since CS is one of the sources for HP and there are many fights that don't allow that; having 4-set pvp bonus its really big because its the thing that generates the most HP of all.

An a personal note i don't think this is how paladins should be played, but as long as its good i don't see why some of you won't do it.
    Nothing of what you just said is true, 10 or 25 man doesnt matter, fight doesnt matter (for the most part). Both myself and the other holy paladin in my guild tried this way of healing. His name is Lafawndah and Im obviously Pacer http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-tgb2yspdtu9ay4p2/ . As you can see he ranked number 1 (he uses pvp 4 set) I ranked number 6 (I dont use pvp 4 set), I usually do the most healing and you will be able to see that from our previous logs but tonight we both switched to using EF and the tables have turned.

How the freaking HELL do I compete with this....? Besides being less of a bad of course, which I am currently working on, lol. I left the game a year and a half ago as one of the top holy priests on my server... I come back and my pride has taken a pretty large hit. My spell choice could obviously use a little work in the hpm department, but I feel like I am having to constantly work the global cooldown like a mad man to take care of all the spike damage.

Here are 5 parses from our 10 man raids. I tend to stay in the 40-50k hps range while our Paladin consistently averages 80k hps... Quite a gap. Am I just so rusty (ie bad) that I should step back and let someone else fill in for me? I don't want to be holding them back I feel like this is way to significant of a gap to be caused by the pally's pvp 4 piece and Eternal Flame. I also have several parses of her averaging well over 100k hps, but my healing on those parses are even more pitiful than they are here and it would hurt my pride to much to post them. :P

<3

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jeif2xyo50oflxas/sum/healingDone/?s=91&e=525

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sxdocsna4jgbjx9j/sum/healingDone/?s=756&e=1036

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sxdocsna4jgbjx9j/sum/healingDone/?s=9042&e=9423

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sxdocsna4jgbjx9j/sum/healingDone/?s=16364&e=16948

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-oz4j1t6q1n50bvdf/sum/healingDone/?s=1156&e=1454

Good job playing the worse build just because you don't enjoy the best one. There's a word for people like you, but if I say it I will get banned! :x

Deleted
    Spec disc. now you are topping the paladin. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    Good job playing the worse build just because you don't enjoy the best one. There's a word for people like you, but if I say it I will get banned! :x
    Are ya talking about rerolling or just using my disc spec? If you're talking about the former... No, that's stupid. If you're talking about the latter, that's something I plan on doing in next weeks raid. As I just said I have been away from the game for a year and a half. I'm rusty. I leveled to 90 as Holy/Shadow so I haven't quite had time to practice all the mechanic changes to disc until recently. It should be ready by my next raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Spec disc. now you are topping the paladin. Problem solved.
    I'm actually not at all concerned about topping our Pally on the meters. Any healing she does is healing I don't have to do which is quite alright with me. What I am concerned about is the very significant gap between our numbers. If the gap is caused by her simply being amazing or because Eternal Flame + the 4 part pvp bonus is really powerful... I'm very ok with that and in NO WAY asking for a nerf... Whatever helps our raid

However... If the gap is caused by me being a bad or because Holy Priests aren't viable in 90% of the fights (GS on Tsulong is the tits) then I'm not at all ok with that.
    Last edited by fixall; 2012-11-22 at 09:46 AM.

Deleted
    People saying yadda yadda about blanketing the raid only to top meters go home. The log clearly shows he's doing a significant amount of raid healing while healing both the tanks almost alone through efficient beacon swaps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqdq View Post
    People saying yadda yadda about blanketing the raid only to top meters go home. The log clearly shows he's doing a significant amount of raid healing while healing both the tanks almost alone through efficient beacon swaps.
    I think most people just think with 4pc PVP set u going on like this:

-> give every member of your raid a number
    first. EF on 1
    second. EF on 2
    X. EF on 1 running out -> go to first
    ?? Are u all serious ??

(one of first posts was something like -> another Healer needs to play the intelligent part)
    If any Holy Paladin is using his 4pc PVP bonus only and really only to get EF on as much targets as he can. Then i will agree with this posts but who the hell is doing this sort of crap.

Your using 4pc PVP set for this reasons:
    -better AOE Healing
    -react faster to incoming single target dmg (instant heal >> 2s cast)
    -solo healing tank without healing him directly(when really high dmg is incoming then just healing the tank with instants)
    -holding mastery buff up for 45s(30s hot and 15s masterybuff itself)
    -spending less mana (yes u need less mana with 4pc PVP )
    -healing in a more "normal" way is possible-> its not like all other heals are deleted or so ...

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 03:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by deneweth View Post
    The idea that he didn't use any mana because EF is "free" is wrong. CS costs 9k, HS is 9.6k and HR is 21.6k. I don't know if he used the 2 FoL and 4 DL on the beacon for HP. Assuming he didn't thats 1,973,400 mana spent for 120 HP. An average of 16,445 mana spent per HP or 49,335 per 3 point EF. He didn't spend any mana on EF and it was a very efficient spell, but mana was spent. He just used 21 seal of insight procs to make up for the loss of gemming spirit.
    Hmm i think u dont see the point here ... besides he didn't need 1.973.400 mana its just about 1.6kk mana until i didn't miss something.

So and if he needed that amount of mana he only needs around 10.800mp5 in fight.
    That's something every pala can get very easy with 2 spirit proc trinket(darkmoon and shado-pan) and nhc gear (i got 11800mp5 without any trinketproc and ilvl 486(gemming spirit))

And he needed 1.3kk mana for his holy power -> he got 169 HP so this are ~7700 mana/HP -> 1 HP with EF ~ 63k Healing(73653.0+12*7224 = 153117*1,25mastery = 200k /3 = 66,8k)

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 02:59 PM ----------

Oh and i did forget something really important:
    (just some some simple math don't know if u really can add this like that)

When u generate HP with HS/HR your Healing too.
    So u need to add healing done to these 66,8k Heal/HP.
    Healing done with HS and HR was ~4.600.000 Healing / 67 (number of EF's cast) = 68k Healing while generating 3 HP /3 = 22,8k Heal/HP
    ==89,6k Heal/HP
    adding up the Glyph 1.280.000 Healing / 67 = 19100 Heal/EF /3 = 6368 == 95,9k Heal/HP

All this adds up to:

95,9k Heal by just using 7700 mana
    Last edited by mmocfd1fe01f7b; 2012-11-25 at 03:01 AM.

Honestly what this shows isn't "OMG EF IS AMAZEBALLS".

More accurately what it shows is, against all history, Paladins CAN be successful blanket raid healers if your healing setup is a bit iffy.