1. #1

    PvP not balanced around 1v1

    I know this is the case - but why? I could be looking at it too simple but if it were balanced at 1v1 wouldn't it automatically be balanced at higher quantities as well?

  2. #2
    There are synergies between certain classes and specs that would cause a team of x, y, and z to still be better than a team of a, b, and c, even if specs were balanced 1v1.

    Also it's much much harder to balance 1v1 and not worth their effort since it means pretty much every class needs tools that counter the tools of every other class, and eventually everyone just needs to have everything. It's easier to balance around "someone will probably have a dispel on a team of 3" than it is to make EVERYONE have a dispel, for example.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by neccowafer View Post
    There are synergies between certain classes and specs that would cause a team of x, y, and z to still be better than a team of a, b, and c, even if specs were balanced 1v1.

    Also it's much much harder to balance 1v1 and not worth their effort since it means pretty much every class needs tools that counter the tools of every other class, and eventually everyone just needs to have everything. It's easier to balance around "someone will probably have a dispel on a team of 3" than it is to make EVERYONE have a dispel, for example.
    Then why do they (Blizzard) factor in 1v1 scenarios when they buff/nerf classes?

  4. #4
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojou View Post
    Then why do they (Blizzard) factor in 1v1 scenarios when they buff/nerf classes?
    I'd guess they just do it when they are able to. It's about priorities: first is 3v3 balance. Then everything else including 1v1. If they can make a positive change for 1v1 which doesn't (or almost doesn't) negatively affect 3v3, then they'll probably do it.

  5. #5
    PVP is not balanced around 1v1 unless you are a warrior/dk/hunter/spriest/fmage. If you're anything else, this game is balanced around 3v3, scrub!

  6. #6
    Then if the game is not balanced for 1 vs 1 why does world pvp still exist ?

    Cause in most of the encounters is 1 vs 1 ?

    Either balance the game for 1vs1 or delete world pvp .

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojou View Post
    I know this is the case - but why? I could be looking at it too simple but if it were balanced at 1v1 wouldn't it automatically be balanced at higher quantities as well?
    That is true, having PvP balanced around 1v1 would indeed balance group PvP, the problem is time and know how, in order to balance PvP around 1v1 would be a massive undertaking of trial and error so most MMO's just save them selves the pain in the butt and balance PvP around group.

    Also having PvP balanced around group helps to cater to the less skilled and creates the illusion that they are making a difference but in reallity only a select few and overpowered classes turn the tides of battle.

    This is the reason Blizzard Adds so much CC to there PvP so that the less skilled feel skilled by doing so making really there only job to press that Stun button faster then the next person, If PvP would be balanced around 1v1 I'm willing to bet a good 90% of WoW PvP players would quit the game or do nothing but PvE, WoW's PvP system is build on instant glorification for many reasons but the main reason is to keep the players paying and by doing so they simplify the game's PvP for the masses.

    In a nut shell WoW's PvP is designed with one thing in mind and that is to cater to todays massive population of people with ADHD.

    P.S. keep away from the paint chips kids : )
    Last edited by warjin; 2012-11-01 at 07:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans naturetauren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,646
    1v1 would be pretty balanced if Blizzard bothered making all specs pvp viable (more or less) and nerfing fotms asap.
    Blizzfanboyh4t3rforever

  9. #9
    pvp is balanced around 5v5 arenas, it is rather sad.

  10. #10
    I am Murloc! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    5,194
    Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    Then if the game is not balanced for 1 vs 1 why does world pvp still exist ?

    Cause in most of the encounters is 1 vs 1 ?

    Either balance the game for 1vs1 or delete world pvp .
    It is? Most of my world pvp is 40 on 40 + 50 guards.
    You, you'll regret what you have done this day, I will make you regret ever being born, you're going to wish you never left your mother's womb, where it was warm and safe and wet, I am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainbow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ep65rr-9qjQ Full Pilot Episode! Best thing to come out of Adult Swim!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •