Deleted

Computer Build Advices

My current computer is about 5 years old and since then I didn't kept myself very well informed about the new hardware trends. In 2-3 weeks from now I will build myself a new computer and I'm looking for some advices about the best hardware that I can get for a total budget of ~1200 EUR. I'm looking to use the computer mostly for gaming.

What do you think about this build:

CPU: Intel CoreTM i7 3770K IvyBridge, 3500MHz, 8MB, socket 1155, Box

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612S

MB: Asus P8Z77-V PRO/REV3.0, Socket 1155

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX660 TI 2048MB, GDDR5, 192bit, DVI, HDMI, PCI-E

RAM: Dual Channel Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz

SSD: Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) 330 Series, 120GB, SATA 3, 2.5''

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I, ATX/microATX, Mid Tower

Power source: Corsair CMPSU-650TX V2 650W, ATX2.3

The price for all these components in my country is about ~ 1150 EUR (VAT included).

EDIT: Country EU Romania
    Last edited by mmocc1593c1b93; 2012-11-01 at 09:40 AM.

Deleted
    i7> i5 for gaming if you don't do any rendering (3570k would save you even more)
    as for the SSD i wouldn't take an older generation intel ssd (not with 520 series dropping big time recently)
    this would leave room to upgrade gpu to 670 series easy

edit:
    country? makes it easier to make comparison lists and provide links for alternatives

Deleted
    Indeed the processor price difference of 3570k vs 3770K would cover the GPU upgrade from gtx 660TI to gtx 670.

But concerning the processor, in the long run, wouldn't the I7 be better ? Technically I don't know all the differences between the two of them, but isn't the I7 overall better than the I5 ? Or the the issue here is that the games don't take advantage of all the i7's power ?

The Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) 330 Series, 120GB, SATA 3, 2.5'' ~= 108 EUR , any advice for a replacement ?
    Last edited by mmocc1593c1b93; 2012-11-01 at 09:57 AM.

Deleted
    so far main tittle with small gain from i7 is BF3 and perhaps some future tittles (but it will be very uncommon) mostly comes down to hyperthreading which is more in it's place for video rendering/editing.
    most games/programs just don't use the I7 HT function hence it is not needed/recommended

also do you have any brand you'd like most for ssd or you plan on staying with the intel 330?

edit: just double checked and that intel 330 is only +-50 mb/s behind in reads/writes compared to top model ones , mixed it up with the slower series of intel
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-01 at 10:04 AM.

To be fair, hyperthreading isn't doing an awful lot of good for BF3, so the i7 won't do much good over the i5. You'd need some more actual cores to get the real juice out of things, and that's simply too expensive for most gamers and still doesn't give that much juice.

Deleted
    i know it was like 0-10 fps boost with average just above 5/6 gain with ht on i7-2600k vs i5-2500k (it's a minor gain but could provide that little push for reaching steady 50+ fps) not sure if still the case because i've read that about a year ago.
    all in all i7 is mostly just not worth it

Deleted
    Drop the i7 for an i5 (3570k) and get either a 7950 or 7970.

With the new (beta) drivers AMD really pulls ahead in quite some games, and most cards are a bit cheaper as well. Unless you are deadset on Nvidia, get a 660ti/670

Also taking a look at your SSD, you are better of with either a samsung 830 or crucial m4

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Drop the i7 for an i5 (3570k) and get either a 7950 or 7970.

With the new (beta) drivers AMD really pulls ahead in quite some games, and most cards are a bit cheaper as well. Unless you are deadset on Nvidia, get a 660ti/670

Also taking a look at your SSD, you are better of with either a samsung 830 or crucial m4
    This. Intel makes good SSDs but for the price go with samsung or crucial as they are better priced and perform neigh identical to Intel.

As for video card; however, it depends on the games you play. Both AMD and Nvidia make great cards but some developers seem to work better on certain brands. From my experience I have had less headaches with Nvidia than with AMD but your mileage may vary.

And to reiterate go with the i5...by the time HT works out the kinks to give noticeable boost you will likely be ready to upgrade again. Think of it like when PS3 launched and Sony was lauding the "cell" processor...how much have your heard about it since? in fact games like Skyrim that weren't developed exclusively for PS3 have loads of issues...mind you that is not likely entirely the processors fault but the moral of the story is you don't need HT yet so no need to pay for it.