Deleted

90 Talents and Combustion

I'm not making this thread to whine or complain, but rather to explain what I would like to have changed about Mages or to see if anyone out there knows a way to use these existing mechanics in a fun way.

So first off, the level 90 talents.
    (Since Incanter's Ward is a very situational choise this only applies to the other two)
    I used to love being a mage! Throw some fireballs/frostbolts/whatever, popping my cd's and slaying the dragon with my crits. Once you killed the boss a few times you could pretty much watch tv while killing the boss.
    What changed?
    The level 90 talents. Being as powerful as they are, these spells aren't something you want to neglect. What is bad about them? Well... How do you feel about rebuffing in the middle of a bossfight? Not so fun, huh? Now imaging having to do this for 5-6 seconds once every 40 seconds (+the cast time, I know). And if that wasn't making it bad enough, you have to redo it if you for any reason what so ever (Let's say you get a pool ticking 70k a secong in your face (stone guards HC)) have to interrupt it. And if that wasn't enough for making Invocation the most annoying spell ever, we don't geven have an indication for when the buff is about to fall off. A 15-20 seconds buff is something you can teach your brain to remember to keep up, but a 40 sec buff that has no indication what so ever that's it's about to fall off is pretty hard to have 100% uptime on (-the cast time, I still know). So that's what I don't like about Invocation.
    What about Rune of Power?
    Well that's pretty much the same thing. As if having to recast it every 1 minute wasn't enough, there aren't very many bosses out there that DO NOT require movement. When I use this I generally end up recasting it approximately once every 20 seconds. This is something I can deal with, having to recast a buff once every 20 seconds when it's only a 1-1.5 sec cast, BUT then you are tied to that very spot! Same argument as Invocation, what if a wild pool of 70k/s appears in your face the second you put down the Rune of Power? That's 1-1.5 seconds wasted!

So, have you guys found any situation where these new talents have proven to be useful or fun?

What would I like to change about these two talents? I'm well aware they are making changes to these two in an upcomming patch, but I really don't feel it's enough. A way I think would make these talents more fun and interesting is if you did this;

Rune of Power: When standing in it, your spell damage is increased by 20% and your manareg by 100%. Last 1 minute, 30 seconds cooldown, can be cast while moving, 2 can be up at the same time. 1-1.5 sec cast time. There should also be an indication on your screen when you're standing in it.

Invocation: After finishing an Evocation, your spell damage is increased by 15% and you gain 20% of your mana once every 30 (?) seconds. This buff last for 10 minutes.

I know this change on Rune of Power doesn't change the movement problem, but hear me out. This way, Invocation would be your go to talent on bosses that require movement more than once every 30 seconds. It looses 10% of the spell damage, which I feel is something I would sacrifice to not have to Evocate once every 40 seconds (+ cast time).
    Rune of Power would be our stronger buff, which we only use on bosses where we know we don't have to move much. With the indication you will know exactly when you need to recast it, and with the 30 seconds cooldown you might even find it good to cast on cooldown if you know where you're headed next.

Now that I got that off my chest, let's talk about Combustion
    There are two kinds of Fire Mages. Those doing alot of damage, and those not doing so much damage. The difference is how you use Combustion. If you time your Combustion with a high Ingite you will do massive damage, but if you don't pay attention and just use it on cooldown you're most likely gonna loose alot of damage on the weak Combustion ticks (Unless you're very very lucky).
    I'm the kind of guy who don't like this way of playing. I want to be able to use all my cd's whenever they're up. Having to stare at Ignite or an addon looking for a high tick is NOT FUN, and I know I'm not alone in this matter.

I read something about Combustion getting changed in an upcomming patch, but as English is not my native language I could not for the life of me understand what the change was about. So call me stupid if this is already being dealt with, but here's what I would like to change to make Combustion a more stable ability. Make the Ingite tick be an average of the last 10 spells rather "than the last 4 seconds" (((0,12+mastery)*(The damage from you last 10 spells, or since you engaged combat))/10). The reason I divide by 10 rather than the number of spells cast since combat engaged with a maximum of ten, is to prevent people from trying to get a massive crit as a starter and getting a higher than usual Ignite from that. This way Ingite would be much more stable, and using Combustion on cooldown would never be a major dps loss if you use it wrong. It would also still be affected by procs and cd's (Last 10 spell with 5000 extra intellect will make an Ignite higher than 10 spells without the 5000 intellect), so it can still result in an increased dps if you use it right, but it's still not gonna be something that detemines whether you are awesome or worthless.
    For those you thinking "hey, if my Ignite is an average of the last 10 spells I cast it'll take some time to build it up again if it falls off. That would be a dps loss", no. It will be an average of the last 10 spells you threw at the boss, so even if your Ignite has fallen off the new Ignite will be based on the one spell you just threw + the 9 spells you had recently thrown on the boss before Ingite fell off

So. I'm I completely out of my mind or does anyone agree with me?
    Last edited by mmoc66cd48edf1; 2012-11-01 at 09:49 AM.

I agree that invocation is a bit annoying as you should cast 5,5-6 sec spell once every 40 sec but making the buff last for 10 min would ruin skillcap req which is not even high. Combustion change is far worse than it. 10 spells (Sth like 5 pyros 5 fb of a good mage vs 3 pyros 7 fbs of a bad mage, nearly no diff between two)? These two would literally kill the difference between a skilled mage and average-bad mage.

Deleted
    I prefer the challenge being in the encounter, not in the class you play. I would pick having to avoid another one of the bosses abilities over having to watch my Ignite ticks any day :P