View Poll Results: What's the strongest DK Pvp spec, considering near future 5.1 changes.

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unholy

    18 25.35%
  • Frost

    45 63.38%
  • Blood (Even w/ Death Strike nerfed into oblivion)

    8 11.27%
  1. #1

    PVP Spec? Frost? Unholy? Blood??

    I think I want to get my DK from 85 to 90 next and I'm wondering about which spec is all the rage atm......

    I would think the easy answer is blood but since they are getting nerfed to where death strike doesn't heal in pvp, well... forget that

    Then, I have almost always played as Unholy, it's what I do best, it's what I'm comfortable with... but I see alot pvping as frost for some reason since MoP

    Can anyone explain to me why exactly there are many DKs pvping as frost spec? Is there some miraculous new frost only thing that makes them better in pvp? Or are they just stupid? I've seen alot of people taking Fire over Frost on mages in pvp which I also completely disagree with... so I don't just go with the trend unless someone can explain with good reason why it is a trend and why it is the best idea

    So.... which spec is best for pvp? Considering that bloods getting possibly the biggest nerf in history in 5.1 of course....

  2. #2
    I lvled very easyly as 2h frost with the dark succor glyph, i even mass pulled like a tank and killed em with full health.
    PvP all specs are squishy
    frost 2h is good against clothies and leather, while DW against plate/mail.
    I havent tried UH but i think its in the middle of 2h and DW.

  3. #3
    Blood was never good, it was decent when vengance worked in pvp but never good. It was never competative in pvp.
    It's decent as FC but not as good as other tanks.

    2h frost is great, but was more fun in cata. It's all about one ability (Obliterate) now.
    DW frost feels more like cata frost, where there's a nice mix of many abilities.

    Havn't tried unholy.
    Last edited by Wrien; 2012-11-01 at 12:03 PM.

  4. #4
    i could be wrong, as i'm don't really play a DK, but i'd imagine that frost has more CC and more Burst than Unholy?

  5. #5
    None.

    Frost - faceroll and boring. Not that great in pvp against competent opponents.
    Unholy - hard to play. Slightly better in pvp.
    Blood - lol.

  6. #6
    just go blood everyone knows its the tank , heals , and dps all in one

  7. #7
    Frost was generally the better spec in Cataclysm too, but not by enough to matter. The situation is pretty much the same now. It has more burst, and to add to that, ghouls die extremely fast now. This is a general pet problem, not limited to death knights. But until they can survive better, frost is just a bit easier to manage and get the most out of. I agree unholy is more fun, and it still works fine. Just be prepared to lose your ghoul a lot and do a bit less burst than you would as frost.

    Also, I think death strike will still heal, just only the normal amount, which is usually what it heals anyway against players. With that being a regular part of your rotation, and all the other cooldowns, blood still has the best healing, the best survivability, and decent damage. I would recommend playing blood at least until you get geared, then trying out the others. Or just stick with blood, especially if you play solo. In a hybrid dominated environment, blood is the only spec that really measures up.

  8. #8
    I have enjoyed 2H frost in pvp but haven't tried unholy yet (liked that in cata and wotlk).

    It's always nice when the resto Druid thinks 35-45% of his health is a good time to stag form away then 2hit him with killing machine obliterate followed by a FS.

    Unholy has always felt better for pressure by a mile but frost can drop someone faster than they can react, bad players at least.
    Error 404: Signature not found.

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    4,027
    If you want to enjoy and master the class go Unholy.

    Unholy can solo any other class you can find, no matter what. Frost can't say the same as unholy eats the cookie

    Blood is good for FC, but warriors are better atm.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 09:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Frost was generally the better spec in Cataclysm too, but not by enough to matter. The situation is pretty much the same now. It has more burst, and to add to that, ghouls die extremely fast now. This is a general pet problem, not limited to death knights.
    Try to kill a hunters pet.. .you simply can't.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    I think I want to get my DK from 85 to 90 next and I'm wondering about which spec is all the rage atm......

    I would think the easy answer is blood but since they are getting nerfed to where death strike doesn't heal in pvp, well... forget that
    They aren't really getting nerfed. The "nerf" is that Death Strike won't heal for more than 7% of your health in PvP. In real world tests, you never really get healed more than that with DS in PvP anyways, unless you're getting totally focused by the entire team or something to begin with.

    Look at it this way, let's say you have 400k health. 7% of that is 28k. Now, the way DS works, pre-nerf, you are healed for 20% of the damage you took over the last 5 seconds, with a minimum heal of 28k(7% of your health). So, in order for 20% of the damage you took over 5 seconds to be greater than 7% of your max health, you had to have taken over 140k damage in the 5 seconds before you used DS...and if you're taking that kinda damage, a little more healing from DS isn't gonna save you anyway.

    So, with the "nerf", you just get the minimum heal, barely a nerf at all.

    That said, blood is really only a spec for random BGs anyway, not arenas past the lower brackets or rated bgs.

  11. #11
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,245
    In any 1v1 situation regardless of class, blood would give you the best chance of survival. Can't really kill any high healing classes/specs, but you really can't die to anyone, not unless you really screw up.

    On battlegrounds, blood is an undying cart protector in the mines, an undying cap interrupter in any base defense game, and an undying flag carrier, and will be pretty sick carrying the ball on that other new BG. I can't imagine why anyone would absolutely not take a blood for those roles in a rated battleground group.

    However, where blood shines, is obviously on random battlegrounds. In the aforementioned roles you'll be the king of the battleground, if you know what you're doing.

    On arenas, due to the abysmal damage and zero burst ability, blood is pretty useless.
    've is short for have. C/Sh/Would've or c/sh/would have. Not c/sh/would of.

  12. #12
    Frost atm is the most stronger.

  13. #13
    2h Frost and RBGs.

    i tried dw, but its just way less burst here. As oblit frost you just focus on any cloth/leather opponent. Its very good in duels and bgs.

    Wouldn't bother with a dk in arenas though, it must be the worst class of them all, seeing dks at the bottom in arenas in 2k-2,2k range in 4.3, i do not thing this did change much, but perhaps got a bit better with the burstynes of oblit frost and the weakness of the archenemy of frost, the subletly rogue.
    This was not cause dks are worse, but they lack setups. Frost lacks even more viable setups than unholy that does not make it any better.

    If you really want to pvp stay away from dks, there are too many of them, and as i said not that much viable setups.

    Better play Ret, cause we dks always are looking for a ret, but most palas i know are playing as holy -.-.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 05:35 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

    On battlegrounds, blood is an undying cart protector in the mines, an undying cap interrupter in any base defense game, and an undying flag carrier, and will be pretty sick carrying the ball on that other new BG. I can't imagine why anyone would absolutely not take a blood for those roles in a rated battleground group.
    .
    he may be an undying cart protector, but not an useful one, cause he would just be cced out of the card's circle, thus protecting nothing at all. To make things worse a frost dk would have long bursted away those that want into the circle of the cart.

    As a FC blood simply lacks the amazing utility a warrior has, also the absorb shield is only working in melee vs physical dmg. I would rather play unholy and stack 400k necrotics or more(depends on gear but about 400k is possible with blue honor gear with all cds up). However since i know from expierence most ppl do not know how to deal a decent amount of burst dmg, i prefere to play the bursters role. I cannot stress enough how important it is to burst someone as a dk, especially as frost as there are no viable cc chains here, actually i think specs like this need even more survival and burst to compensate for the lack of a spamable cc, not counting snares.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2012-11-04 at 04:37 PM.

  14. #14
    The Patient BlackBoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    243
    Been unholy pvp since Wrath. Went frost in cata because of all the hype, felt like a warrior and i went back. Unholy was the only spec that had a stun mixed with a bomb ass snare. The pet damage, the absolute speed and multiple sources of dps ( strong diseases, goul and gargoyle) less RNG and machine gun death coils. I fucking love it! Now strangulating someone while my mastery enhanced soul reaper counts down. Unholy all the fucking way
    CPU :- Intel i5 4670k
    Ram :- 12gb DDR3
    Mobo :- Asus Sabertooth z87 TUFF series
    GPU :- MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr
    Cooling :- ZALMAN Reserator 3 MAX Ultimate Water/Liquid CPU Cooler 120MM

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBoss View Post
    Been unholy pvp since Wrath. Went frost in cata because of all the hype, felt like a warrior and i went back. Unholy was the only spec that had a stun mixed with a bomb ass snare. The pet damage, the absolute speed and multiple sources of dps ( strong diseases, goul and gargoyle) less RNG and machine gun death coils. I fucking love it! Now strangulating someone while my mastery enhanced soul reaper counts down. Unholy all the fucking way
    Just curious what kind of damage are you getting with soul reaper @90 pvp? Are you forged for mastery or haste?
    Error 404: Signature not found.

  16. #16
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    he may be an undying cart protector, but not an useful one, cause he would just be cced out of the card's circle, thus protecting nothing at all. To make things worse a frost dk would have long bursted away those that want into the circle of the cart.
    Frost and unholy DK's would be CC'd out of the circle just as easily, so that's a moot point. Also, why take a frost or unholy DK as a DPS, when you can take any of the other classes? Are you saying frost/UH DK's are the best DPS' in a rated BG group? The point here is to compare a tank against a tank, as the thing is, if you'd choose to go as DPS, there'd most likely be some other DPS class taking your place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    As a FC blood simply lacks the amazing utility a warrior has, also the absorb shield is only working in melee vs physical dmg.
    Well, DK's have a 100% immunity to spells for a while, semi-immunity to slows for a while, immunity to fear for a while, immunity to all loss of control for a while, insane damage reduction and absorption capabilities and a million times more self-healing than any other tank. You're right though, there's no intervene, charge, leap, spell reflection, and such, but there are other abilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    I would rather play unholy and stack 400k necrotics or more(depends on gear but about 400k is possible with blue honor gear with all cds up). However since i know from expierence most ppl do not know how to deal a decent amount of burst dmg, i prefere to play the bursters role. I cannot stress enough how important it is to burst someone as a dk, especially as frost as there are no viable cc chains here, actually i think specs like this need even more survival and burst to compensate for the lack of a spamable cc, not counting snares.
    Again, it just might be that the team would rather take another, more useful DPS, than a DK. I was talking about tanks.
    've is short for have. C/Sh/Would've or c/sh/would have. Not c/sh/would of.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •