Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Ganking / Camping: Morally okay on PvP Realms?

    When anyone rolls a new character on a PvP Realm, the game gives you fair warning of the consequences of doing so. That being said, if a player is out leveling their character, and a high level player swoops down and gank rapes the lowbie, is that okay? They were fairly warned BEFORE rolling on the server that things like that may happen.

    Is it morally okay to gank like this? Do you give a fair pass to players who choose to gank lowbies for the "fun of it"? Personally, all my characters are on PvP realms. I think playing on a PvE server is a spineless way to play the game, and there is no war in the World of WARcraft. There is no anxiety that at any moment someone could swoop down from a flying mount and rape you. Thats the thrill you get when you play on a PvP server, and in the same token, its the risk you take.

    Often, I will go on "gank sprees" as i like to call it, and find unsuspecting players and stalk them for a bit. Ill even let them know of my presence by /waving to them, /laughing at them, and /spitting on them, then ill proceed to mercilessly kill them, possibly several times to try to get them to bring a main or a guildie and start a PvP war. Its great fun, and I think its okay because of the stated rules by blizzard of a PvP server.
    It is my humble opinion that TBC was the most entertaining expansion.
    The Fonz wants you to smile.

  2. #2
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    706
    Its PvP realm, why would you roll on pvp gear if you dont like some ganking action? It's perfectly ok :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    "you need to understand that my computer and i have a relationship that was here before i met you, and will be here long after we break up. if i could have sex with the CD-rom drive, you would be irrelevant. just so we're clear on this"

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,467
    The question itself is void, because everyone has different values and morals. I'm personally a staunch supporter of honorable combat. Don't /spit, do /bow!

    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

  4. #4
    If your sole purpose right at the moment is to go to a low level zone, find a lowbie, and kill them, then yes I think it's immoral.

    If you are otherwise doing something productive (Loremaster achievement?) and someone just happens to cross your path, then no I don't think it's immoral.

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Malakath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    unholy hell of Texas
    Posts
    555
    lolz yet another one of these threads... I'm in favor of honorable combat.. even on pvp servers.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Emfg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,691
    Ganking is fun. Being ganked several times without any possibility to escape isn't. But it's the risk I'm willing to take.

    I rarely ever gank people just because of the fact I don't want to be ganked myself. The more you gank (lvl 90 ganks) the more enemies you'll make and the higher the chance you'll be ganked yourself.

    Though, when somebody ganks me while killing mobs or ganks me several times in a row without a fair chance I put them on my Kill on Sight list (the addon "Spy" has this feature, GREAT addon if you want to gank/be warned. It automatically detects nearby enemy players. You should really get that addon if you're into ganking ) and gank them when I see them.

    Also, I get more joy out of annoying people rather than ganking. Killing nearby mobs/CCing them alone is fun to see them panic.
    3DS FC : 3652-1962-3264 (Water Safari, don't know pokemon if someone could tell me that would be great!)
    PM me your FC after you added me. (Mainly for PKMN X/Y Safari or Trade usage!)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakath View Post
    lolz yet another one of these threads... I'm in favor of honorable combat.. even on pvp servers.
    Its not a question of honorable or not honorable combat, its a question of "hey I rolled a character on a PVP server, I know the risks involved in doing so." Someday that noob horde troll priest is going to grow up and be a potential problem for the alliance, might as well kill him as many times as possible to prevent him from growing up so fast. just my 2 cents.
    It is my humble opinion that TBC was the most entertaining expansion.
    The Fonz wants you to smile.

  8. #8
    Posting in a troll thread.

    Morally it's perfectly OK, but ganking is for bads and no-skillers. That's really all there is to it.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Next time you guys log in, Blizzard should freeze your character, spawn your favourite mount and shoot it in the head. - Mormolyce

  9. #9
    Message Deleted
    Last edited by reboot-me; 2012-12-05 at 07:10 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    do /bow!
    This isn't Dark Souls.

  11. #11
    If your looking for sympathy you wont get it

    I truly believe blizz needs to offer a free one time server transfer for people who want off on a pvp server it would be good busines for blizz to offer such a one off service
    and those who still roll on pvp servers well you know the score by now you know what blizz implemented and tbh you must be a masochist to stay on a pvp server

  12. #12
    Warchief zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,123
    Yes it's ok.

  13. #13
    There's a difference between world pvp and just being a jerk. And you can take it further at which point its just greifing and you can and probably should be suspended or at least warned about it.

    World PvP can range from anything to fighting over a world boss or rare spawn to just killing someone who's after the same quest mob as you. Some people think even that's going too far, but for me, if there's legitimately something you need to do and killing someone else gives YOU a clear benefit, its acceptable. On the other hand, if you're killing people or just engaging them in combat in a situation where you personally have nothing to gain, but you are deliberately hindering their progress, that's being a jerk in my eyes. That includes people who camp daily hubs, gank players at a lower level than themselves and those who kill people while they're questing just to keep them from questing. Corpse camping also falls into this category for me.

    Believe what you want. Its a matter of opinion. My opinion is that if you want to world pvp, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with it and it can actually be pretty fun. I'll do it myself from time to time. That said, you should have a legitimate reason for doing so. Engaging in world pvp because you enjoy ruining other peoples' gaming experience isn't a good reason. No matter how you try to justify it, to me, that just makes you a jerk.

  14. #14
    When leveling an alt, I will kill any enemy I come across. However, if someone decides to main swap to come kill my lowbie, then I camp them until they log.

    I have found most people that like to camp lowbies are really bad at pvp and hate being camped. I have no problem making sure they regret their decision every time I see any of their toons for the next... I want to say week but it is more like forever. I really hate people that camp lowbies.

    Now anyone questing/doing dailies at max level, please jump into pvp at every chance and camp away. One of the most exhilarating things is escaping from a vastly superior force to stop the camp.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    When anyone rolls a new character on a PvP Realm, the game gives you fair warning of the consequences of doing so. That being said, if a player is out leveling their character, and a high level player swoops down and gank rapes the lowbie, is that okay? They were fairly warned BEFORE rolling on the server that things like that may happen.

    Is it morally okay to gank like this? Do you give a fair pass to players who choose to gank lowbies for the "fun of it"? Personally, all my characters are on PvP realms. I think playing on a PvE server is a spineless way to play the game, and there is no war in the World of WARcraft. There is no anxiety that at any moment someone could swoop down from a flying mount and rape you. Thats the thrill you get when you play on a PvP server, and in the same token, its the risk you take.

    Often, I will go on "gank sprees" as i like to call it, and find unsuspecting players and stalk them for a bit. Ill even let them know of my presence by /waving to them, /laughing at them, and /spitting on them, then ill proceed to mercilessly kill them, possibly several times to try to get them to bring a main or a guildie and start a PvP war. Its great fun, and I think its okay because of the stated rules by blizzard of a PvP server.
    Whats the point of this thread? It's a video game, morals went out the window when I logged in.

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans naturetauren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,646
    I dont care about being ganked as long as i can go on my main to get revenge but due to 1.5 sec cast time and flying mounts theres just griefing all over the pvp servers and the only real pvp you can have is when the other player agrees with you to have a fair fight.

    Its like Blizzard gone back to vanilla but the fail is that theres flying mounts and 1.5 sec cast time making pvp servers a hell.

    Pandaria is kinda easier but the griefers cannot take people down except if they are 10 levels below, especially blood elf females. Ive noticed the majority are blood elf females.
    Blizzfanboyh4t3rforever

  17. #17
    Scarab Lord Chonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    This isn't Dark Souls.
    What's Dark Souls? Does it have the monopoly on the bow emote?

    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

  18. #18
    It mostly means you're kind of an a**. Sure it's allowed,but you're still an a**, just like you're allowed to do many things in RL and still be an a**. Ganking low lvls serves no purpose, other than to annoy them slightly, since they can't really fight back and give no honor. I play on PVP servers as well, and i'm used to getting ganked by low levels. I don't complain,but I still consider them scum, specially since from my experience, a lot of the low lvl gankers can't seem to deal with another lvl 90 too good

  19. #19
    Grunt Darkseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kazzak - Horde - EU
    Posts
    10
    I see no problem with Ganking, if you're gonna' let it get to you THAT much then gtfo the PvP server, you shouldn't have been on there in the first place, pleb!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    There's a difference between world pvp and just being a jerk. And you can take it further at which point its just greifing and you can and probably should be suspended or at least warned about it.

    World PvP can range from anything to fighting over a world boss or rare spawn to just killing someone who's after the same quest mob as you. Some people think even that's going too far, but for me, if there's legitimately something you need to do and killing someone else gives YOU a clear benefit, its acceptable. On the other hand, if you're killing people or just engaging them in combat in a situation where you personally have nothing to gain, but you are deliberately hindering their progress, that's being a jerk in my eyes. That includes people who camp daily hubs, gank players at a lower level than themselves and those who kill people while they're questing just to keep them from questing. Corpse camping also falls into this category for me.

    Believe what you want. Its a matter of opinion. My opinion is that if you want to world pvp, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with it and it can actually be pretty fun. I'll do it myself from time to time. That said, you should have a legitimate reason for doing so. Engaging in world pvp because you enjoy ruining other peoples' gaming experience isn't a good reason. No matter how you try to justify it, to me, that just makes you a jerk.
    Wrong. World pvp is just as the phrase implies, pvp that happens in the world outside of arenas and bgs. Its quite simple really, if you don't want to be ganked don't go on a pvp server.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •