Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    No. This is not what crowd funding should be used for. I have seen genuinely ambitious projects ask for less. A mod for an existing game, asking for so much money, is insulting.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  2. #22
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,392
    To everyone "outraged" by $44k...

    Would you buy the very same add-on as DLC from Bethesda for $10?

    It will only take 4400 people to buy it to make $44k that he needs to make it.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2012-11-01 at 11:49 PM.

  3. #23
    Immortal Tierbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    7,842
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    To everyone "outraged" buy $44k...

    Would you buy the very same add-on as DLC from Bethesda for $10?

    It will only take 4400 people to buy it to make $44k that he needs to make it.
    if i remember hearthfire was originally a mod now its 6$
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    To everyone "outraged" buy $44k...

    Would you buy the very same add-on as DLC from Bethesda for $10?

    It will only take 4400 people to buy it to make $44k that he needs to make it.
    The same DLC? You speak as if you know the quality of the finished product. The only thing we have to go on is his previous mod and I sure wouldn't say it was worth ten dollars (much less the minimum donation of 25).

    But, more than that, the precedent this sets offends me. Why bother modding for free when some random schlub can make a year salary for a single mod?
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  5. #25
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    But, more than that, the precedent this sets offends me. Why bother modding for free when some random schlub can make a year salary for a single mod?
    Because it's fun? Most people don't have a body of work that most people would view as being sufficient to be considered an amateur, or even professional mod-builder. If I were to program a Skyrim mod I wouldn't ask any money for donations because I have no experience aside from knowing how to code the systems the mod would use. If I had made a list of mods that many people liked, and decided to invest a whole year into a one, large mod, I would definitely ask for donations. This guy isn't some "random schlub".
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  6. #26
    Do keep in mind that 44 000 dollars is not that much in some countries. In Norway for example, 44 000 dollars is 250 000 NOK, which is just about 200 000 NOK bellow nation average per year.

  7. #27
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,392
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The same DLC?
    No, the same add-on he says he's gonna make. As official DLC.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You speak as if you know the quality of the finished product.
    You speak as if you know the quality of the finished product, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The only thing we have to go on is his previous mod and I sure wouldn't say it was worth ten dollars (much less the minimum donation of 25).
    Is it sold for $10? Is it the same thing he will present in a year?
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    But, more than that, the precedent this sets offends me.
    What?! How!? How is it even a concern of yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Why bother modding for free when some random schlub can make a year salary for a single mod?
    1. You jelly?
    2. Earning money is BAD?
    3. Earning money doing MODs is bad?
    4. Who forces you to mod for free?
    5. Why do you mod right now? What will change there?
    6. Go make the same addon and distribute it for free - show that mofo who's da boss!
    7. You must really hate people who donate to mod authors.

    And in the end it can cost as much as $1 per user - if there are 44k people wanting to play his mod.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The same DLC? You speak as if you know the quality of the finished product. The only thing we have to go on is his previous mod and I sure wouldn't say it was worth ten dollars (much less the minimum donation of 25).

    But, more than that, the precedent this sets offends me. Why bother modding for free when some random schlub can make a year salary for a single mod?
    I have to agree with this. What he's doing doesn't appear to be $44,000 worth of effort. Hell, he'll probably be working or something while he's making it. It doesn't strike me as being worth the money or suggested time frame. More likely he could get whatever he's doing done in 3 months then go afk for 9 months on his earnings. I'd not pay to see it ever. Hell, the first mod wasn't good enough or popular enough to warrant this.

  9. #29
    He lives in Canada apparently, not sure what 44k does up there. The guy has 2500 hours in the creation kit, that's pretty damn serious. Over a year of full time work already and the kit has only been out for 9 months now.

    Still, a kickstarter doesn't feel quite right for a mod, even from someone who really knows what they're doing. I don't really blame him for trying, given the time and work he's invested, but between the legal gray area of it all and the general shadiness of straight up funding a mod it just doesn't quite shit right.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Because it's fun? Most people don't have a body of work that most people would view as being sufficient to be considered an amateur, or even professional mod-builder. If I were to program a Skyrim mod I wouldn't ask any money for donations because I have no experience aside from knowing how to code the systems the mod would use. If I had made a list of mods that many people liked, and decided to invest a whole year into a one, large mod, I would definitely ask for donations. This guy isn't some "random schlub".
    If it is so fun then why does he need to be paid? Why is that a valid excuse at all on the subject of a guy asking for thousands of dollars to do what many others have been doing for free for years?

    And an avenue already exists for him to get donations on Nexus. But with Kickstarter he is asking for money up front...
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  11. #31
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    If it is so fun then why does he need to be paid? Why is that a valid excuse at all on the subject of a guy asking for thousands of dollars to do what many others have been doing for free for years?

    And an avenue already exists for him to get donations on Nexus. But with Kickstarter he is asking for money up front...
    It seems like you're just arguing to argue if you're only going to read literally the first sentence.

    I get it, you don't like the idea of using crowdfunding as a way to get compensation for a mod, especially when there are already other ways to do it. Let's just leave it at that, because any other justifications for your argument aren't all that cogent. You just don't like it - nothing wrong with that.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  12. #32
    Bloodsail Admiral jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria/Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,032
    Has experience working on 3 shitty game titles, thinks he is super qualified.

    Wants 44k to develop a glorified mod.

    GTFO.

  13. #33
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,392
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    If it is so fun then why does he need to be paid?
    I don't even... So if i enjoy my job - I should tell my employer that I will work for free because it's fun?
    He needs money, obviously, so he can focus on mod creation, that is for living.

    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Why is that a valid excuse at all on the subject of a guy asking for thousands of dollars to do what many others have been doing for free for years?
    Why is it not a valid excuse? And what others have to do with it?
    Can we use the same logic to criticize fast food business? Charities were feeding the people for free all these years...
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    And an avenue already exists for him to get donations on Nexus. But with Kickstarter he is asking for money up front...
    And what do you suggest he should've done? Take a loan, spend a year, make the add-on and hope people will donate after downloading it for free?
    That's exactly what Kickstarter is for. To find people who will donate upfront.

  14. #34
    This seems dodgy to say the least. I can't imagine this even being legal is it? I know the tools were released for people to make custom content but to create and sell it so openly? I cant see that being allowed.

    Edit; read it again and he's releasing the final product for free, that's good to know.
    Last edited by Flimsy; 2012-11-02 at 12:22 AM.

  15. #35
    Immortal Tierbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    7,842
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Has experience working on 3 shitty game titles, thinks he is super qualified.

    Wants 44k to develop a glorified mod.

    GTFO.
    did you just call skyrim a shitty game?
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

  16. #36
    Ag666 it is really cute that you think creating something using tools pre-made for you for a larger product you had no hand in creating is in any way comparable to working a normal job. It is not.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  17. #37
    Immortal Tierbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    7,842
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Ag666 it is really cute that you think creating something using tools pre-made for you for a larger product you had no hand in creating is in any way comparable to working a normal job. It is not.
    so in something like wow if a developer comes along mid expansion and helps do stuff hes not doing a job?
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

  18. #38
    I was hoping this was the next content release by Beth. But i was mislead...

  19. #39
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,392
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Ag666 it is really cute that you think creating something using tools pre-made for you for a larger product you had no hand in creating is in any way comparable to working a normal job. It is not.
    So when company A asks company B to create an expansion pack for the Company A's game (that Company B had no hand in creating) using pre-made tools for that specific game - that means that people working on the expansion pack are not working a normal job?

    Dare I ask what do you think about people who create games using 3rd party engine and 3rd party tools... it's like almost EVERY GAME. GameDev is not a real job?
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2012-11-02 at 12:29 AM.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    so in something like wow if a developer comes along mid expansion and helps do stuff hes not doing a job?
    You honestly think being hired by the company is comparable to asking for money up front to do your own thing?

    And ag666 also has to go and dress the situation up as something other than what it is for their argument to fly. Like I said, cute.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •